Advertisement

Author Topic: Contribution to Society  (Read 830 times)

Peachy Fish

Contribution to Society
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:05:03 PM »
Apart from your charms, what would you say is your contribution to society? I always joke around with people who ask why I donate blood that my contribution is donating blood. In all seriousness, I do consider that as my contribution.

Praying to one day be able to write in history that my other contribution is my own scholarship for the less fortunate.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Contribution to Society
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »
I helped two old Hmong ladies order chicken flavor noodle soup at a Vietnamese restaurant about 20 years ago.

They did not speak English and certainly didn't speak Vietnamese. The Vietnamese servers there spoke both but not Hmong.

I channeled the communications by speaking Hmong to the two ladies and then turned our talk into English for the Vietnamese servers.

If you don't think that was hard and, therefore, a substantial contribution, think about how long it takes to learn two languages to the point where you could also interpret correctly between the two. And the very fact of helping two ladies get not just foods but yummy foods of their choices is superior to anything at that spot at that time.

Like this post: +1
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 06:05:02 AM »
I'm contributing to society by contributing to this post.  Just kidding.

We're all just "dust in the wind".

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 02:26:12 AM »
Apart from your charms, what would you say is your contribution to society? I always joke around with people who ask why I donate blood that my contribution is donating blood. In all seriousness, I do consider that as my contribution.

Praying to one day be able to write in history that my other contribution is my own scholarship for the less fortunate.

My wife and I donate blood too... We also go to tent cities and/or homeless areas to donate essentials like food and water. Even a small bag with a sandwich, a bottle of water, a pair of socks, and hygiene kit is appreciated by those we helped...O0

Still way better than frauds that would rather go "underground" to take things away from society...

Offline mind-teaser

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »
When I work 8 hrs a day 5 days a week.....I've contributed (still contribute) to SOCIETY!  O0 O0 O0

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 01:49:44 AM »
I have no charm, but I saved many people's lives...with good intentions.

sometimes with food/clothing/shelter donations
sometimes I had to fight off another person
other times I had to __________ the group of people
I had to pull someone out of the way before vehicle hit them.
I gave up my seat....
I gave up my umbrella...
I gave stranger a ride when thunderstorm hit...
I gave stranger a lift during brutal winter temps...
I pushed so many stranded dead cars...

I did so much...and really only half of the people actually thanked me for my assistance.

Be careful because some of these people who you decide to help will actually try to take advantage of you and then try to screw you over...so being helpful should not mean putting yourself in danger as well.   Never have your back turned towards your benefactors... they can change into assailants.  Society is messed up these days...

Simple help, simple thank you.  Simple barter of labor or skills, just seems to be not part of Today's American society.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Advertisements