Advertisement

Author Topic: What is the better auto shop to go get a car fixed? CarX, Midas, or Dealership?  (Read 1476 times)

LumberJackOff

So my Camry makes a loud clunking noise and I could hear rattling sounds like a bolt is loose or something whenever I drive over rough pavement or potholes. 

Is it best to take it in to Midas, Dealership as Toyota, or CarX?  Dealership may cost more but is it worth the extra cost?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
This is one of the most trusted mechanic shops around.

https://www.rosecarcaremn.com/

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
Have you done any research online about what may cause the noises?

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Online theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
So my Camry makes a loud clunking noise and I could hear rattling sounds like a bolt is loose or something whenever I drive over rough pavement or potholes. 

Is it best to take it in to Midas, Dealership as Toyota, or CarX?  Dealership may cost more but is it worth the extra cost?

For me, it's "best" for me to do it myself.. However, if it's not possible, I'll visit a shop that offers free inspection and go from there and that shop can be a mom and pop shop, a chain like "Midas" or the stealership. Once they tell you what the issue is, you can decide if you want them to fix it or not from there...There are reputable shops in all 3 options as well as not so good service so do your research in your area.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Youtube teaches me everything from how to fix a computer to how to fix a car.

Good advice.

Have you done any research online about what may cause the noises?

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
I hate Midas.  Had bad experiences with them.  Don't ever go to Midas!  That's my opinion.  It's up to you if you wanna take the risk, but I've done that already and I'm never going to them again.  O0  The king wants his gold from you, you know.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
If you know the problem, it is easier to find someone that can do it for you cuz tools and time are factors otherwise you would have done it yourself.  Plus with knowledge, the mechanic can not screw with you.  If I want this piece to be replace, do that.  Don't be doing this and saying this other parts need replacement too so shall I add more to the bill?

Had to replace my shocks.  Guy said he gets better pricing with his business to business account.  I said go ahead.  Bill shows $350 x 2 since there are two shocks to my car.  I looked online, a brand new one only cost $350 a pair.  I was double charged and it is how they do their business to survive.  They lost me as a customer. 

Dumb business owner tries to pull a fast one.  Honest and integrity will keep a relationship strong for an overall continuous business transaction. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline mind-teaser

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile

sounds like you have bad ball bearings.

Offline mind-teaser

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Youtube teaches me everything from how to fix a computer to how to fix a car.

Good advice.

I had have fixed so many car problems because of YT!!! I don't know what we would do w/o YT! lol

Online theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
I hate Midas.  Had bad experiences with them.  Don't ever go to Midas!  That's my opinion.  It's up to you if you wanna take the risk, but I've done that already and I'm never going to them again.  O0  The king wants his gold from you, you know.

Doesn't matter if it's "Midas" or an independent shop or the dealership, there's gonna be good and bad experiences but I don't expected narrow minded people that paint everything the same with a broad brush to understand that simple fact. Which ever option, do your research...

Even Midas, there are some shop that has 3 star and some have 5 star reviews...

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile

I normally go to the dealership where I purchased the vehicle.  It may cost more but I’ve developed a good rapport with them.

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
Some of y’all already mentioned but YouTube and google is your friends.  I’ve learned a lot from diy from YouTube and just information from google.  Personally, I do my own fixing.

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +650
    • View Profile
where a suit to check your car in and tell em if they duck up, they're dead... >:D

there's no such thing an honest mechanic...thi s coming from a former mechanic...lol s we cut corners when we need to. we might strip a bolt or two and said awww fukk it...lols if you come in for a oil change, we're not going to wait for the last drop of oil before putting in new oil...hell, some people even take your name brand oil you bought, and fill your car with the generic oil the shop provides...yup ...i still do whatever best i can...if i didn't grease up your belts, spray your rotors with brake cleaner, or whatever...its because, jack the ass is having a shit attack and we need to get as many cars out ASAP...lols

the only way to regulate these auto shops is to mandate survellience from start to finish. every customer deserve to see how and what is replace, fixed, or whatever work was done to their car. this would also help the good mechanics be able to perform their jobs like the car is their own.

Sounds like a genuine nightmare that I have encountered. You take in for problem A and you come out with problems B, C, and D. At least their insurance paid out, otherwise, would have been a learning process to sue.

Advertisements