Advertisement

Author Topic: New Fishing Pole  (Read 15795 times)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
New Fishing Pole
« on: May 26, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »
It's not that I need a new fishing pole...I just decided to treat myself to one.

I have been a St. Croix rod fanboy for a while, but I've decided to spread out into the Shimano rods some.  I just went to Joe's Sporting Goods and as usual their selection of rods are sort of dismal.  However they did have one rod that I've been sort of wanting for a while.  7' ML in baitcasting rod Shimano Zodias.

Originally I was contemplating about the St. Croix Legend Tournament in 6'10" ML casting rod retailing just shy of $300.  Compared to Shimano Zodias 7' ML coming in at $200 retail.  The Shimano rod is a bit softer compared to the St. Croix.  There was a Diawa rod Chronos 7' ML but it was significantly stiffer in flex compared to the Shimano Zodias.  Although the Diawa was cheaper in at $169 Joe's retail, the handle component was also drastically cheaper in quality when compared side by side to the Shimano Zodias.

I also played with some of the Shimano Conquest rods, but at #%@#  $600 ouch pearls.

The 7' ML Shimiano Zodias came home with me.  Now I just need to pair it with a reel.

Like this post: 0
The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: New Fishing Pole
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:43:49 PM »
I have a Daiwa that I bought for $150.00.

Now I want to sell it for $80.00.

I have never used it. Never learned how to use the baitcasting reel.

It's brand-new if anyone wants to buy it for that price.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 02:39:53 AM »
I have a Daiwa that I bought for $150.00.

Now I want to sell it for $80.00.

I have never used it. Never learned how to use the baitcasting reel.

It's brand-new if anyone wants to buy it for that price.

You know I offered to teach you how to use baitcasting set up and that offer is always open.  I think of using a baitcasting set up is a lot like a fly fishing set up.  There is an art to it and the appreciation of doing it as an art.  It's just that I am currently have not much free time to spare nowadays as compared to before.

I used to practice outside, in winter time with the fresh snow and all.  I do practice in my backyard just for fun too in summer time.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 03:53:36 AM »
I know y'all don't have surf over there but they have surf rods in the 11 footer range.  It is good for casting distance so imagine yourself playing a surf rod there and the people there be like... I'm amazed. 

Pair it with a Penn reel.  My uncle sport fisherman from Narleans be using them heavy duty Penn reels to catch tuna. 

Still waiting for the next sale to get me one. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 06:59:24 AM »
I remember that offer. We'll have to go out one of these days so I can learn that.

I like spinning reels though. I can cast much farther out and I can reel in much faster somehow.

I don't like being in the cold. That's why I don't ice-fish. And then the lawn has too many snags.

I'm going to sell off that Daiwa pole and reel set.

You know I offered to teach you how to use baitcasting set up and that offer is always open.  I think of using a baitcasting set up is a lot like a fly fishing set up.  There is an art to it and the appreciation of doing it as an art.  It's just that I am currently have not much free time to spare nowadays as compared to before.

I used to practice outside, in winter time with the fresh snow and all.  I do practice in my backyard just for fun too in summer time.

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 07:02:29 AM »
I'm not out there to give people awes. I'm out to catch fish and enjoy the surroundings. In fact, I fish private spots most times.

I'm not a fan of long rods. 7' is already too long for me. I like those in the 6' range.

I know y'all don't have surf over there but they have surf rods in the 11 footer range.  It is good for casting distance so imagine yourself playing a surf rod there and the people there be like... I'm amazed. 

Pair it with a Penn reel.  My uncle sport fisherman from Narleans be using them heavy duty Penn reels to catch tuna. 

Still waiting for the next sale to get me one.

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 03:55:08 AM »
I remember that offer. We'll have to go out one of these days so I can learn that.

I like spinning reels though. I can cast much farther out and I can reel in much faster somehow.

I don't like being in the cold. That's why I don't ice-fish. And then the lawn has too many snags.

I'm going to sell off that Daiwa pole and reel set.

Yea, I can always show you how to use mine.  And I can definitely show you the difference in each type of baitcasting reel and how they can perform.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 05:52:23 PM »
Ok. One of these days.

The Daiwa is being marketed. If no one buys it, I'll do a lottery on it. Whoever draws it gets it free. We'll see if anyone buys it first.

Yea, I can always show you how to use mine.  And I can definitely show you the difference in each type of baitcasting reel and how they can perform.

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2019, 01:34:47 AM »
I admit to treating myself again.

St. Croix Legend Elite MH 6'8" fast. 

To be honest, I thought it was weird that they've decided to put a big fore grip on these versions.  The real seat is also a more wider version too.  This is one of the first bait casting rod that I am trying that seems to come with the smaller line guides.  I'm not so sure about the micro guides fans as it just means smaller line guides and more chance for the line to line knot to catch.

A few backyard tests and it didn't seem to matter so much.  Perhaps when spring comes around, I will get to really test out the rod with fish on.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 12:40:49 PM »
Anytime now, my new ice fishing rods will be finished.  :2funny:

Have to get them Thorne Bros Custom rods.  The original real ice fishing rods.  O0

Offline azn-guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 01:54:03 PM »
might just be a california thing but any swimbaiters in here, whos willing to pay $400 for a lure  :D

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 02:06:00 PM »
$400 bucks....got damn!!!  I just fish for fun, the most I spend on lures(in general) is $10.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 06:41:55 PM »
Those guys are already fishing off a yacht...so $400 is still cheap lure for them.

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 10:31:44 PM »
Can of fresh dug worms
From the backyard

Catch all the fish i need

God did not created man...man created god

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 05:52:05 PM »
Nawh...I ain't payin' $400.00 for no lure.

"...

Advertisements