Advertisement

Author Topic: New Fishing Pole  (Read 15782 times)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Re: New Fishing Pole
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2022, 03:43:26 PM »
Secretly my 6' Light spinning St. Croix the tip broke on it and I fixed it up so it's actually 5'11" and has worked better than it's original form.  I could say mine is customized.  :D

Like this post: 0
The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 30, 2022, 05:08:43 PM »
That is customized!

I would have just had St. Croix give me a new one and then they will tell me I can keep that old one. Customize it and you get two poles! lol

The shorter ones can be controlled more. That's my experience.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2022, 04:49:46 AM »
That is customized!

I would have just had St. Croix give me a new one and then they will tell me I can keep that old one. Customize it and you get two poles! lol

The shorter ones can be controlled more. That's my experience.

Simple mechanical engineer logic. The distribution of weight plays in your favor with a shorter pole. If the pole is longer than the fish has an advantage despite weighing less than you do. If you only had to work with a long pole then I suggest holding it more in the center than at the end handle in order to get the same control as the short pole.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2022, 09:27:52 PM »
Simple mechanical engineer logic. The distribution of weight plays in your favor with a shorter pole. If the pole is longer than the fish has an advantage despite weighing less than you do. If you only had to work with a long pole then I suggest holding it more in the center than at the end handle in order to get the same control as the short pole.

Yes. Indeed. That's logical. That's why I don't want a long pole if I want control.

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2022, 02:59:07 AM »
The more I use and play around with these rods, the more I feel the nuance difference amongst them.  At first I really like the Curado 6'10" MLF casting rod.  That's in part where it had an edge over that the my older Phenix M1 6'9" MLF casting rod.  After using the St. Croix LTB 6'10" MLXF it's beginning to grow on me and seems to be much more refine. 

Perhaps it's just that the St. Croix rod suits me or my style.  The rod blank has just the right specs for how my casting motion induces lure flight.  In addition is just how St. Croix built these rod taper where there is almost no recoil from the casting motion.  Or rather I should say that the recoil is very controlled.

In terms of palm holding position and grip, my hands still prefer the reel seat of the Curado rod over that of the wide reel seat on the St. Croix LTB rod.  The reel seats on St. Croix rods are more of weird design in my opinion.  I still like the old Fuji ACS reel seats over that of current Fuji PTS reel seats.   Again PTS great for trigger finger hold while casting, but not as secure for palm holding position where the ACS excels over.  It is truly a shame that St. Croix had stopped producing a ML casting rod in these specs.  The only current mode is a Premier in 7' MLF. 

Honestly, I would still fish a spinning rod inverted with a casting reel going forward.  That's where the Shimano Expride 6'10" MLF spinning rod really shines, and secretly my old St. Croix Legend Elite 6' MLF spinning rod outperforms everything I've been chasing in a casting rod set up.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2022, 01:55:08 AM »
Oh wow.  Tackle Warehouse suddenly has some old St. Croix LTB 6'10" MLXF casting rods in stock.  :D  That's amazing how the old no longer manufactured rods suddenly reappears.

Still a shame that St. Croix didn't reproduce the rod in the newer Legend Tournament style grips and reel seats.  They made a spinning rod model but not a casting rod model.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2022, 11:55:18 AM »
New fishing pole.  13 Fishing Snitch Pro 32" length.  No reason just wanted to try something new.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2022, 01:23:07 PM »
There is a never ending sale to lure you.  The more you buy, the question remains.  What are you going to do with that big pile of older fishing gears?  You can't give it away because you are still attached to it.  You can't sell it because people want to buy it for cheap. 

This is why I stopped buying my gears until I really needed a set.  Then again, we have too many varieties to catch here in california.  The mountain for trout is light tackle.   Landlock salmon are giant trout so bigger gear.  Salmon season run.  Bass gear, striper gear, catfish gear, sturgeon heavy duty gear, Right now big ugly stick for crabbing snare from the pier or beach.  Different gear for halibut and lingcod for the ocean.  Lighter gear to catch their bait fish.  Then you got some pan fish and crappie gear.  There's also tuna coming into the california coast as well.  Those are the biggest of the biggest gear and the most expensive.  If you are into your hobby, what I just said is a store in your garage already.   

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2022, 03:57:53 PM »
I passed by that Rochester fly-fishing store but didn't have time to stop in. I had my hunting equipment in the truck. So, didn't feel comfortable checking out fishing stuff yet.

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2023, 02:03:56 AM »
I probably won't even get time to go fishing this year but am thinking of a new fishing pole.  :idiot2:

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2023, 10:05:18 AM »
I have enough fishing equipment now. I just need to know good lakes and streams.

I've decided not to buy a fly fishing pole. I don't like to keeping dealing with an
extra dangling line with my left hand.

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2023, 02:58:08 PM »
I have enough fishing equipment now. I just need to know good lakes and streams.

I've decided not to buy a fly fishing pole. I don't like to keeping dealing with an
extra dangling line with my left hand.

In a way good thing because you will need more than just the pole.  You may need the hip basket to catch and hold your fly line.  You'll need an assortment of fly tippets or leaders just to get the right presentation for each fly lure.  You will need a creel bag.  A handy hand net to carry around too.  Then a fly vest for all your other essentials.  Lures, tools, more tackle, and other hardware. 

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2023, 11:27:32 AM »
I did go to Joe's during their little Spring Fishing sales week event thing.  Typical 20% off and rep samples @ 50% off.  I didn't see any St. Croix rods on the rep samples like they typically do have some.  Saw a bunch of Diawa's, 13 Fishing, and others that I didn't pay much attention to. 

Like usual, Joe's put up mostly old stuff from last year on the racks.  They did get some new stuff, but mediocre and not really what I'm looking for or at least like to play around with.  Anyway, I did splurge on another rod.  Not that I needed it, but more like to have something similar yet more updated.

Shimano Poison Adrena 6'10" M casting rod.  It was the only one left on the rack of it's kind.  So I guess it will become part of my collection on the wall.  Comparatively it is similar to my St. Croix 6'8" MXF Legend Elite in performance and function.  The St. Croix 6'10" MXF Legend Elite is so much slower and heavier in feel due to the bulky handle grips.

A few backyard casting test and it feels so natural and flows really well with 1/4 oz. practice plug.  Again that carbon monocoque handle design works with such a functional dynamic on the rod that my reel palming casting just works in such a balance.  I am now appreciating the no hook keeper on the rod.  Nothing to catch on and the casting just flows.  I still like how some St. Croix rods comes with their hook keeper positioning and that does not interfere in anyway either.  I use to think that not having a hook keeper was a cheap out method, but not anymore.  It's more like a trade off.  If the need is so serious, some velcrow ties works wonders for hook keepers.  I already use those things for heavy sinker keepers on my other rods to prevent the sinker from banging around.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2023, 11:29:41 PM »
I had avoided Joe's Customer Appreciation Day sale this year.  Seen on FB that it was a J4 zoo.  Anyway I did the pre-shop and didn't see any really good stuff out.  So it appears that the good stuff was tucked away and wasn't on their Customer Appreciation Day sale. 

I guess pre-shop for Blaque Fryday Syber Monday...maybe .  Shackle Warehouse may get the online sale again this year.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2023, 10:46:00 PM »
So it's been a long time awaiting that baitcasting rod in the light power fashion.  Hopefully they have actually mark the line guide spacing in such a fashion that it becomes functional and properly aligned in esthetic sense too.  So I've been eyeing a few rods but the two that interests me most are the following two:

Phenix Classic BFS Casting rod in 6'8" @ $189

Shimano Expride B Casting rod in 6'8" @ $279

Seems like as soon as they got some in at Shackle Warehouse, they're sold out.  Must be a high demand and/or high interests in them.  Something to think about for Blaque Fryday Syber Monday sales.

Advertisements