Advertisement

Author Topic: New Fishing Pole  (Read 15802 times)

Offline azn-guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
Re: New Fishing Pole
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2019, 05:58:18 PM »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 11:43:20 PM »
Ain't gonna buy that for sure now. :2funny: :2funny:

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2020, 09:42:25 AM »
damn

it's like yall get a new pole every year

God did not created man...man created god

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 06:18:06 AM »
Yes, one or more pole/rod.  It's for different kind of fishing...for different kind of lures and stuff.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2020, 05:33:30 PM »
I, too, use different poles for different fish.

"...

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 12:21:18 PM »
I only have two

My ice rod and my shakespears

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 06:53:09 AM »
Due to the misery of the state of the State.  I had to indulge in my sanity and cool my rage a bit.

I bought another useless rod, just wondering what for?  Doesn't really matter as long as it gets toyed with.

I bought the
Phenix M1 Casting Rod 6'9" Med Lt

It should toss weights of 1/4 oz to 5/8 oz weight.

I originally was going to go with
Phenix Feather Casting Rod 7'1" Light

for the weights of 1/8 oz to 3/8 oz weight, but somehow the slightly longer length was throwing me off a bit.

All I've done was just some backyard practice casting and it wasn't so bad.   Now I just need some time to go fishing, but this whole riot and looting has me not wanting to go anywhere at the moment.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2020, 10:54:33 AM »
I've held a Daiwa baitcast rod with the reel for five years now without knowing what to do with it.

Today, I've finally removed the baitcast reel and replaced it with a spinning reel.

Voila! I can use it now.

It's a fast action rod, and should be good for bass and all kinds of fish--anything from the sunny to the cats and carps.

So, now, I have three rods to carry around on each trip. Lots of reels with different line poundage to switch back and forth to.

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »
I've held a Daiwa baitcast rod with the reel for five years now without knowing what to do with it.

Today, I've finally removed the baitcast reel and replaced it with a spinning reel.

Voila! I can use it now.

It's a fast action rod, and should be good for bass and all kinds of fish--anything from the sunny to the cats and carps.

So, now, I have three rods to carry around on each trip. Lots of reels with different line poundage to switch back and forth to.

What!  You really put a spinning reel on the bait casting rod?

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 04:07:02 AM »
Okay so I need to tweak the rods a little bit. 

So I'm adding onto the mix...since I'm such a St Croix fanboy and Shimano fanboy.

One St. Croix Legend Elite 6'10" Medium power Extra Fast tip action.

One Shimano Zodias 7'2" Medium Light power Extra Fast tip action.

I'm familiar with the St Croix rods so that much is a given.  I have an old Legend Elite 6'8" Medium power Extra Fast tip action.  So it's gonna be very similar but for those instances where I feel like I need that little extra length for that little extra casting distance.  I don't know how much two inches is gonna get me, but until it's actually tested out.

Then that brings me back to the Shimano Zodias.  The prior model I had was a 7' Medium Light power Moderate tip action.  Nothing wrong with it, but I feel as if it's kind of like an Ugly Stick, but with some improvements.  Again I don't care so much for just another 2" increase in length as since that's just the way how the fishing industry is going, I am finding that this new rod with it's different tip action might be what I want.  Again, don't know until I start to catch fish with it.

There's still ice fishing left to do yet.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2021, 05:48:38 PM »
So I went to do some back yard cold casting and freezing my hands in the process.

The St. Croix Legend Elite 6'10" MXF did exactly how I expected it.  Just a little extra feel in that two inch length difference.

The Shimano Zodias 7'2" MLXF totally took me by surprise.  It's was so light and effortless in the casting that it actually made my St. Croix Legend Elite feel wasted.  That's why I say St. Croix rods are over priced.  Anyway the updated 2020 Zodias rods with that carbon monocoque handle was the biggest influence to the casting motion.  Because the weight is reduced in the butt of the rod the motion to move the rod overall is reduced too.  Furthermore there is a reduction of effort to stop the rod at the end of the casting motion.  Maybe it all just seemed to work out in this particular model.  This is comparing even to the prior Zodias 7' ML rod I have.  It really does make it feel like just an Ugly Stick improved.

Whoops...did it again.  Went to Joe's and came back with another two fishing poles.  Must have a Covid brain fart or something.

I'd figure it was about time to get a Light power spinning rod.  What I really wanted was a 7' rod but since the Zodias impressed me that much I had to get a spinning version of.  They only have a 7'6" L so I will settle with that.  Never had tried a longer rod than 7' length but figure if I will get that extra distance, it will be worth it.

I also came back with a discontinued rod model.  Phenix Ultra MBX 6'6" L fast action.  Probably will use this one for white bass fishing and all sorts of lures.  Even though it's listed with a Light action, it's got more backbone than the Phenix M-1 6'9" ML rod.

All these toys and all I'm doing is tossing bare lures into the snow.

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »
them rod good at catching fish?

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2021, 04:10:10 AM »
them rod good at catching fish?

No idea.  I haven't caught any fish yet.   However the rods are great for casting lures so far, at least in the snow.

I'll figure if the rod is good for catching fish or not when I actually take the rods out to fish with.  Then I will compare it against my Ugly Stik rodss.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2021, 05:34:04 AM »
So I went outside and did some more practice casting in the backyard.  It was still sunny at about 4:20 pm and no wind.  I was using the the Phenix Ultra MBX 6'6" L rod and just used my practice lure of 1/4 oz weight.  I put on my old Shimano Metanium MG7 and today that rod was casting so well.  Really it's because there was no wind so the lure was just flowing correctly.  Practice a few side arm casting and all and it was like I've been using this rod for years.  Well it just feels right with the right lure weight.  I did practice a few overhead casting but kept the arc trajectory relatively low so I don't catch tree branches above.  My fingers got cold and I came back inside.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2021, 12:08:48 AM »
So I've been practicing casting in the backyard for some time to gauge how the different rods would work out.  It's a bit strange when I was comparing my old St. Croix Legend Elite 6'8" MXF with the newer St. Croix Legend Elite 6'10" MXF in casting distance.  While I'm only able to use a side arm cast in the backyard it seems that the older shorter rod was getting more distance.  I thought that maybe it was the reel and line that was affecting it, so I swapped the reels out between the two rods.  Still I got a very similar result and the older rod still got more casting distance.  While the actual reel seat handles were different between the two rods, it shouldn't affect it that much or perhaps it does.  Since I'm used to the reel seat on the older rod, it may make a difference.  The other thing is that the older rod has what they considered by today's standards of line guides, it called standard size.  While the new rod has smaller line guides, it's considered semi-micro line guides.  Now that would indicate that for my results, the larger line guides are allowing my casting distance to be optimized.  That would mean that in opposite results, the smaller semi-micro line guides are reducing my casting distance by how I'm using it.

Advertisements