Advertisement

Author Topic: New Fishing Pole  (Read 15787 times)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Re: New Fishing Pole
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2021, 02:26:20 PM »
So I took some rods out to go river fishing and caught some white bass.  The three rods I took out to try were Shimano's of course: Zodias Spinning 7' Light, Zodias Spinning 7' Medium Light, and Poison Adrena 6'11" Medium+ Casting.  I grabbed the wrong casting rod, I was planning to take the Zodias 7'2" ML Casting.

Unfortunately I only caught fish on the Zodias Spinning 7' Light rod only so I don't know how the other rods will really handle fish.  Well so far the 7' Light rod hooked up and stayed pinned on the fish really well.   Being a Light power rod, it did load into the rod quite a bit, but still handled it just fine.   Usually I use a light powered rod just for crappie fishing but I decided to give this a try instead.  The white bass are still sluggish and didn't put up much fighting so it worked out.  Usually I put the hook set into it, but seems like I just crank the reel and they hooked themselves.

Like this post: 0
The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Adverstisement

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2021, 12:48:12 AM »
I seen the new Shakespeare Ugly Stick Elite Ice rod and I'm drooling over it.  :P

It costs twice as much as the old Ugly Stick GX2 and twice as good looking.  >:D

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2021, 03:08:59 AM »
St. Croix is releasing a Tundra ice fishing series of rods.  They look a lot like their Croix Custom Ice series of rods but full cork handles.  Still no real seat models.  Shame how they price tag @ $100 and can't even put real seats like on their Panfish rod series of open water which sells for about $100 too.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2021, 12:27:29 PM »
I've just learned why my largemouths had not been well-hooked: my rod isn't at least medium heavy.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2021, 04:09:19 PM »
If you use big hooks with large gauge wire then you may want a more powerful rod to put the hook set to drive the barb into them.  If you get hooks like Owner cutting point, they're like suture needles.  The point is like those needles used for sewing up skin lacerations and surgical operations.  Often times, the fish just hook themselves with Owner cutting point hooks. 

It also depends on how large the barbs on the hooks are.  It's much harder to drive the hook past the huge barb as oppose to a smaller type of barb.  Even when fishing and hooking into a larger walleye of say about 17" and upwards.  One needs a harder hook set to drive the hook point in.  With my light hook set, sometimes the hook is just caught around their teeth and there is really no true hook set.  I've lost lots of fish just at the ice fishing hole and some fish I pull up, they open their mouths and the lure is just there.  Some I see the hook bend just around the curved teeth of them walleyes and that's how I pull them in by luck.

As for fishing rods, I prefer to choose a rod for the use of the lure first and foremost, then the power of the rod for the fish second.  Unfortunately a lot of Ugly Sticks just come in a medium power but there are some in the Light and Ultralight power rods, just shorter rods.  When it comes to spinning rods, there are almost no Heavy power rods as most of them comes in casting rods.  When one finds a Heavy power spinning rod, it's one of those heavy weight rod that's very tiresome to fish in hand.  I don't power cast, I just moderate cast my lures and let the rod do the work of casting.  I sometimes see people power cast and make a lot of casting snapping cutting noise with their rods.

I got lucky that I bought some 7' Cabela's XML spinning rods in Heavy power like 20 some years ago when they were Chinese copycats of the G.Loomis rods.  I like these rods for also catfish and pike fishing too.  They're too powerful for white bass and easily tames all the largemouth and smallmouth bass I've fished with.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2021, 04:46:31 AM »
When putting the hook set on fish, doesn't matter how hard you pull sometimes you just can't get a good hook penetration of fish.  Fish sometimes will bite down hard onto a lure or even the hook.  When you pull hard and the fish's mouth is clamped down hard on the lure, all you end up doing is pulling the fish.

Take a catfish for example, as you see they have a rather thick jawline bone with a rather wide set of teeth.  If your lure or hook just happens to be clamped down by just the teeth of the fish, you won't get a hook point into the more fleshy part of the fish.  That's kind of where you get those hooks that have a lot of curve to the entire shank of the hook over that of a traditional straight shank hook.  The bend helps to leverage the hook and allows it's to flip to a position where the hook point will upturn to upper lip hook the fish.  Also if I have a straight shank hook, I like to bend the hook point slightly offset to one side.

For example purpose.  If you put a straight shank hook and clamped it in between a book's pages, you can pull the hook out easy because it's straight.  If you have an offset hook point and you clamp it in between a book, the offset point will dig into the pages and you can't pull it out.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2021, 11:05:58 PM »
What I really want is a Light power 7' casting rod.  Hmmmm.

Phenix Ultra MBX Casting Rod 7' Light that retails for $280
Phenix Feather Casting Rod 7'1" Light that retails for $140
Dobyns Ultra Finesse Casting Rod 7' Light that retails for $190

There's quite a difference in price there.  I've held the Phenix Feather in hand before and it sort of felt cheap and was a tad bit soft and flexible.  It's not really what I like.

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2021, 07:16:39 AM »
Damn how many fishing pole u got

God did not created man...man created god

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2021, 03:08:06 AM »
Damn how many fishing pole u got

No idea.  I don't count them.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2021, 03:35:21 PM »
What I really want is a Light power 7' casting rod.  Hmmmm.

Phenix Ultra MBX Casting Rod 7' Light that retails for $280

Okay 20% off Blahque Phrydai Deal and I go order placed... 8)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2021, 04:13:01 AM »
So the fishing pole that I ordered...sudd enly disappears from the website.  Meaning if they deliver this one and it's broken....SOL.  I sure hope it comes intact.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2021, 01:42:25 AM »
OMG! It's delivered!  Shhhhh I actually ordered two different rods.  I did decided that I will order a spinning rod too.  Not that I actually needed one but took a shot at it.  It's a secret right now.  However first is that Phenix Ultra MBX Casting Rod 7' Light power. 

Well I have to say, it's a bit dismal in comparison to the prior models.  These ones are sold at less than the old ones were and now I see why.  The line guides are a bit cheaper versions.  The rod blank is also scaled down a bit.  The reel seat is a total cheap version compared to the older model.  The handle grips are also cheap.  All in all, it's not that special of a rod.  For sure the rod blank don't have that flimsy feeling in comparison the to the Phenix Feather Casting Rod 7'1" Light.   However since it hasn't been fish, nor even cast once at all, that will all be up to unknowns.

And the secret rod is.  Poison Adrena UL 6'10" Power Spinning rod.  The weird thing is it has an UL tip and the rod transitions into a Medium backbone rod.  This is awesome.  This is exactly what I've been sort of wanting in a spinning rod version.  No flimsy weak rod.  It is a finesse type of rod with the intended backbone to control fish once hooked up.  Again since it hasn't been fished with, it will be up to the unknowns.  However I have good feeling about it.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2021, 07:49:31 PM »
Omen Ice casting 32" rod in Medium power retails $60 - new 2021-22

Listed key feature on the product tag:
J36T Blank
Evolve Ported Reel Seat
Portuguese 3A SG Full Grip Cork Handle
Evolve Stainless Steel Guides with Titanium Inserts

So I measured the full length of the rod and it came to 32 3/8th inches.  I did pick out the longest one between all the retail rod models and this one was eyeballed at about 1/4" longer.  So I'm pretty sure they would normally measure to essentially 32" and maybe a tad slightly longer.  The full handle measurement came to 8 1/4" length with a reel mounted on it.  I mounted a Shimano CU70HG reel.  This leaves a little gap in the reel seat and locking nut assembly.   It seems, it a bit off in feel and looks at that spot.  The cork handle measure to 3 1/2" in length.

I threaded the line through the line guides and it looks good.  The titanium inserts by description just looks like ceramics as there are 4 plus tip.  Upon checking for flex, the rod blank loads up well and feels like as expected of a Median power rod.  When I check for torsion roll over, there was a considerable amount of line guide rolling over.  This particular results may signify for benefiting from an acid rap rod.  There was just barely any line rub onto the blank with a full flex load.

The rubberized real seat feels great.  After I removed the plastic covering there was a lot of cork putty and quite a bit of dust powder.  Closer examination shows quite a bit of pitting filled.  Overall the looks are wonderful and assembly appears to be almost top notch.  Looking at the current 13 Fishing web site, there is no information on this rod.  Yet they have listed all the info on the spinning rods.

Looking forward to it's first field test...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2022, 03:38:03 PM »
Since I'm hanging up the ice fishing, here's a recap this past season.

Omen Ice casting 32" Medium rod.  A little dull for panfish techniques and lures of 1/8th oz. weights, but works just fine on the larger crappies.  Works just fine on walleyes especially lures of 1/4 oz weights.  Best of retail shelf casting rods in medium power as of yet.  If St. Croix makes a medium power casting rod, there's would be a notch better but that is not the case.

Not once did I feel like I had to baby the rod on any fish caught.  Doesn't feel like it would break or fall apart, so construction overall is very solid.  Cork handle and rubberized trigger handle helps to reduce the cold feeling.  Very good points on that.

Overall if they produced a medium light power casting rod, they would get a better finesse style out of it.  That would be more useful for targeting panfish that only typical spinning rods can do.

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2022, 10:18:45 PM »
Do you know how to fix a chip reel
The plastic piece on my zebco broke off
I drop my pole pn the cement
I post pictures tomorrow