Advertisement

Author Topic: New Fishing Pole  (Read 15784 times)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
Re: New Fishing Pole
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2022, 02:51:37 PM »
But if I give up the rod, I won't have it to play around with.  Those Ugly Stiks are always reliable.  However if you do decide to upgrade, start with a St. Croix Premiere rod at just over $100 and you'll probably just leave the ugly stick as a back up.

Anyways after some more practicing and changing the setups around.  I got it dialed in somewhat.  Apparently the Expride B 7' Medium rod is built in likeness to a casting rod.  So I had to give it a casting rod fling instead of my spinning rod flick.  And also it seemed like the rod didn't like the Fireline or it was a mismatch combo.  Either that or it was transmitting too much line vibration feedback.  So on it is the Sustain 2500FD reel with 10# Sufix 832 braid and it seems to be flowing smoothly.  I guess I'll go with that.

Furthermore in comparison to my old Calcutta 7' Medium power rod, the Expride is a touch more stiffer and more vibration sensitive.  Plus it has a slightly more tip forward power load.  That's why I couldn't get the smooth casting down at first.  Felt just a little different.  Still the reel seat is also different, contributing to the overall sensation. 

Like this post: 0
The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Adverstisement

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2022, 10:31:37 AM »
im poor man
im not spending $100 for a fishing pole

;D ;D ;D

God did not created man...man created god

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2022, 12:40:55 AM »
Well I got to use my Expride B 7' M spinning rod and my only direct comparison is the Shimano Calcutta 7' M spinning rod. Both rods have SiC guides. Mostly just using Kastmaster spoon fishing as it works great on pikes and other species willing to bite.

While the Expride is a touch more powerful blank, the tip is actually a bit softer and more responsive. It is however a little less tip vibration sensitive in comparison to the Calcutta rod. I'm not feeling as strong of a bite vibration response as the Calcutta rod. I will say that the load of of rod is wonderful. Keeps fish pinned once hooked and has enough backbone power and response. Holds as a true fast action.

With the Sustain 2500FE reel and 10# Sufix braid, there is some barely noticeable line slap feel on the line guides. Casting is still wonderful and smooth. I had tried earlier with a Stradic 3000MgFb with 15# Fireline Braid and there was a definite line slap restriction feel on my casting. My old Calcutta rod has a much larger stripper guide and it has a much smoother line flow on the cast. Reels were swapped between both rods too.

Is it an upgrade from the Calcutta rod? Not really it's different in some areas.

If I had to compare the Expride B to the Expride A, I'll say that the later B model is a touch more responsive.  Mostly because they did not put a clear flex coat onto the B model.  The reversed handle of the B model still takes a little getting use to for myself.  For one thing it does a better job at leveraging fish, but not as good when working the lure and trying to detect a bite.

If I compare the overall rod sensitivity, Cabela's XML are still more sensitive.  They are the poor man's version of G.Loomis GLX rods.

If I compare the Exprides to the Zodias rods, it makes the Zodias rods feel like those are soft insensitive rods.  Well I did refer the Zodias rods as What an Ugly Stik would be if they put togeter good handles and line guides.  Probably why I really like the Zodias rods for what they are.  They are really suited for Rooster Tails and any other inline spinners.  The Exprides seems to suit jigging spoons and jigs far better.  I need to find a place without snagging bottom to fish bottom contact lures and have fish to catch with.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2022, 06:04:31 AM »
Finally got around to do some catfishing with the Shimano Teramar Southeast Spinning rod 7' Heavy power moderate fast tip rated for 1/2 oz to 2 oz. weight.  On this rod I had the Stradic 5000FL spooled with 50# Berkley X9 braid and top shot leader of 30# Silverthread Excalibur mono.  I did tangle with a decent sized catfish and the rod did it's job wonderfully.  The tip load and fish fight was splendid.  Totally a wonderful upgrade from my old Stradic 4000FG that has done it's duty.   Everything about this rod is for sure an upgrade from my Ugly Stik Catfish rod.  For sure this is now my dedicated catfish rod.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2022, 12:50:13 PM »
Gotta expand my fishing rods again.  I decided that since the Shimano Teramar is mainly for big catfish and it's not so easy to detect the smaller catfish.  I saw just the rod.

St. Croix Premier 7' Heavy Fast action spinning rod.  Rated for 1/2 t0 1 1/2 oz. weights.  Well testing the tip flex, it's not as powerful as it's rating.  I felt it was more like a MH power rod when compared to all the other rods I've used so far.  It's a touch more sensitive that my Ugly Stik Catfish 7' MH rod.  I was relying on an old 7' Ugly Stik for that duty but it's flimsy like an Ugly Stik is and not so much control or finesse when I need it so.

If comparing to my old Cabela's XML 7' Heavy Fast action spinning rod, the St. Croix Premier 7' Heavy Fast action is much softer and has more flex.  The Cabel's XML 7' H rods has no room for error when it comes to fishing.  You detect a bite, you set the hook and full power on fish fight.  The St. Croix Premier 7' H rod feels slower and hopefully this will allow me some longer window when detecting softer bites.  So now I've moved the reel from my Ugly Stick Catfish rod over to the St. Croix Premier, as I haven't utilized that reel yet.  It's the Shimano Ultegra 4000FA spooled with old Berkley Whiplash 50# braid line.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2022, 01:30:26 PM »
I like my 7' heavy power, fast action St. Croix Premier for all purposes--cats to crappies except trouts.

But I also keep a something Loomis and two Cabela's Fish Eagle 54 for trouts and an extra fast action 5'9" Daiwa something as a backup. (I'm going to give this last one away to the next little boy I see at the flea market.)

If I buy any more, it will be something that will work on walleyes and bass, fast action.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 04:59:57 PM by Reporter »

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2022, 07:06:48 PM »
Good to know you like the St. Croix Premier 7' H fast spinning rod.  I was comparing it just then with my Cabela's XML 7' H fast and the tip actions of both are really close.  The St. Croix does have just a smidge softer upper tip section, but both the backbone of both rods do load up pretty much the same.  I guess when I hook up with a big fish on, then I'll be able to feel the difference between the two.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2022, 09:26:25 PM »
Cats, carps, and buffalos will bring out the differences in them. Otherwise, they probably aren't that noticeable.

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2022, 12:10:45 AM »
Curios as since I was at Joe's Shimano VIP day...40% off rods.

CDC610MLA

New models for the 2022 starting at $159, and this particular model was just recently added around July.  So it pique my interest some as I've been constantly searching for just those lighter casting models.  These Curado rods now feature the Hi-Power X blanks, which is an X shape carbon tape wrapped around the blank.  This is also a feature that the higher end rods have and it use to be on the Zodias rods for the low end.  What's more is these Curado rods are basically reproduction of the 1'st generation Zodias rods.  The rods have obtained the Ci4 reel seats with aluminum locking fore nut, Fuji Tangle-Free K guides with Fazlite inserts with Alconite tip, and split grip EVA Foam handles.  The prior models actually had the better Alconite inserts, full cork handles, and rubberized reel seats.

The 6'10" Medium Light power rod has 8 line guides plus tip.  Only the bottom blank from the stripper guide has a flex coat on it.  The other portion of the rod blank is an exposed raw blank.  The touch on it feels a bit rough, so no smoothing sanding finishing of the blank.  In a way I worry that the rough feeling will eventually wear out any line rubbing on contact.  Even one coating of flex coat would do the rod justice in my opinion.  Well that's in the long run, so it hasn't happen yet.  Perhaps it never will.

So on this rod currently is the Curado BFS reel with YGK SS112 10# braid.  As so far with casting 1/4 oz. practice plug it has been wonderful.  On the very first cast it was like in harmony.  Subsequent casts were confirming how wonderful this rod is.  It is performing almost like it's higher end models.  On my rather ease of casting I was averaging about 30 handle cranks to retrieve the practice plug.  With a little bit more force in the cast it was getting me about 34 handle cranks.  The rod rating is 3/16th oz to 1/2 oz lures.  Upon flexing the rod for a hand load test, it does appear the rod has a bit more backbone to it.  So in other words when the big ones bite, there will definitely be some power to hoist the fish.  Since I had just obtained an Expride A 6'10" ML spinning rod, I had to check the load curve side by side.  As it appears the Expride has a slightly slower load and bends a bit more into the rod.  I also have a Phenix M1 6'9" ML casting rod and the Phenix has a slower load curve in comparison as well.

As so far for my preliminary assessment, I am totally impressed with this rod.  This is a rod perfect of the example to never judge a book by it's cover.  Yes, there were a lot about it that seemed to not be worth a looking more into.  Even the made in Indonesia caught me by surprise as most of the other rod makes are produced in China.  Putting all judgment aside and giving the rod it's merits where it deserves, I like this rod far more than the Phenix M1.  Furthermore this rod is gonna move up into the first string round.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 12:13:40 AM by VillainousHero »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2022, 10:16:31 AM »
I'm going to have one customized by Minske in Rochester, MN, for trout. Medium-fast action, not too long--no more than 6'. No ultra-light. (I don't do the traditional fly-fishing setup.)

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2022, 05:57:28 PM »
I haven't gotten to the point of knowing what I want to customize in a full length rod yet.  Still looking at different types of rods and how they perform.  Ice fishing is another story, since I know exactly what I want for an ice fishing pole.  But that was through using a lot of different ones too.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2022, 09:44:28 PM »
With so many kinds of fish and varying sizes, one pole just isn't enough. I need 3 to be complete.

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2022, 05:48:50 AM »
CDC610MLA

As so far with more practicing and testing out.  I swapped the reel out for another Curado BFS with YGK G-Soul Upgrade X-8 in 14# box listed.  It worked out very well with the 1/4 oz. practice plug.  I decided to test out some lighter weights.  First up was a 3/16th oz. brass bullet weight.  I was expecting to lose casting distance, but to my surprise I was achieving basically the same casting distance.  Obviously if I put more power into the cast the 1/4 oz. will get a further max distance.  However for just a low flat trajectory side cast the results was merely identical as for distance.  The feel is for sure the lighter weight was lighter. 

Now moving onto the 1/8th oz. brass bullet weight.  I was expecting to lose a lot of distance but again surprising it wasn't much.  On average I was getting about mid twenties to upper twenties on handle cranks for line retrieval.  With just a little more power into my casting I was just shy of 30 handle cranks for line retrieval on average.  It was very apparent feel with the lighter 1/8th oz. weight as this is below the rod's rated lure weight.

When I went back to do a side to side comparison with my other Zodias 7'2" ML and Expride B 7'2" ML casting rods I was feeling the difference now.  The Zodias now feels more heavy and slower.  That's in part to the longer length but also physical weight of rod and Chronarch MGL reel and 20# Diawa J-Braid x8 line.  The Expride also had the longer length feel but was almost on par with physical weight with Chronarch MGL reel and 15# Diawa J-Braid x8 line.  I beginning to get the feel for the merits of the Curado BFS reel with light weight and super shallow spool for small diameter line.

For sure I'm gonna try crappie fishing with this set up as far as inline spinners and other artificial lures.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2022, 12:42:28 AM »
I'm still waiting to go to Rochester to get a customized pole.

I learned today, though, that fast action poles are good for flouro or monofilament lines, while braided are best suited for medium action poles. That's how I like it. So, we'll see what I will have Rochester do for me.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 08:50:55 AM by Reporter »

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2022, 06:00:09 PM »
That's why I spool braid and then a topshot of mono.  Typically five to 10 feet of mono although I've done like 20 or more before.  So like for catfising I would put like 30# mono.  For just white bass fishing 20# or 14# mono.  Crappie fishing 10# down to 6# mono.

I do have some reels with just straight fluorocarbon or mono still. 

Advertisements