Advertisement

Author Topic: Do you think names are important?  (Read 4814 times)

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Do you think names are important?
« on: June 07, 2019, 02:07:16 PM »
A name is not just a name.  With a name that sounds well, it can put a person in a position of power and wealth.

This is why I suggest for all to name their kids with names that speaks well.  Stay away from ghetto names or common names.  I think this is the reason why celebrities be naming their kids with names that can fetch a hefty penny.  Like blue Ivory or if your last name is west, your first name can be north for northwest. 

I have nephews named after famous people.  Like imagine azn with names like Winston after Churchill or Warren after Buffett or Amelia after earnheart

Then again, I do have Hmong friends who named their kids after their favorite football player.  Like kaydoo names like Travis yang after Travis Scott or Damian as in Damian Lillard. 

Or just go with Joe, John, Mike aka common name that doesn't sparks anything much cuz those are a dime a dozen. 

If you look at all the successful people, their names have a nice touch to it.  With that said, maybe I'll do my girls with french names like Alizee or something.  With a beautiful name, hoping it will take her somewhere in life.

Like this post: 0
X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think names are important?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »
Not that much to me as I care about the character of a person more but I know what you're saying. I know Hmong people named their son, "George" after the first U.S. President...

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:41:19 PM »
Not important at all.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 11:02:53 AM »
Ronald and Donald can be Reagan and Trump or McDonald and Duck.

Which one do you prefer?

A name is not just a name.  With a name that sounds well, it can put a person in a position of power and wealth.

This is why I suggest for all to name their kids with names that speaks well.  Stay away from ghetto names or common names.  I think this is the reason why celebrities be naming their kids with names that can fetch a hefty penny.  Like blue Ivory or if your last name is west, your first name can be north for northwest. 

I have nephews named after famous people.  Like imagine azn with names like Winston after Churchill or Warren after Buffett or Amelia after earnheart

Then again, I do have Hmong friends who named their kids after their favorite football player.  Like kaydoo names like Travis yang after Travis Scott or Damian as in Damian Lillard. 

Or just go with Joe, John, Mike aka common name that doesn't sparks anything much cuz those are a dime a dozen. 

If you look at all the successful people, their names have a nice touch to it.  With that said, maybe I'll do my girls with french names like Alizee or something.  With a beautiful name, hoping it will take her somewhere in life.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 11:03:22 AM »
Ask not what your name can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your name.

"...

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 11:16:21 AM »
I know that Chinese people are big with names.  I mean they came to America with names like min wang or xin lu but had they held onto their names here in America, they wouldn't have gone far had they not changed it to Mindy wang or Cindy lu.  I mean they can have such name on paper but they wanted to be called that way. 

The viets, originally first generation have had their numbers with this name issue as well.  It is not because they are ashamed of their birth name but is a must change so it would be easier for the Americans to call them by.  Especially when a child is in bottle feeding school and teachers would do daily roll call. 

I really hate unisex names like Jaime or Tracy which could be both gender.  My birth name is like that in Viet and so embarrassing in class when the teacher be calling our names and that other girl be reading at the same time I was. 

So yeah, whatever the case, it is not just a name.  If you name your child a good name, they will not grow up and went through them stigma like I have.  It also builds confidence in your child.  I mean I do know a Hmong child with a geeky name and he turned out geeky too.  Maybe because his peers be murdering his name thus looses his self confidence. 

I tend to look at pretty marketable sounding names for college ball players.  I would wonder if such names will be a common house hold name once they become hot in the draft. 

I remembered that one year where the hottest name for boys was Jayden.   Will Smith son right or perhaps the parents saw a good movie n this given the name.

There was a real case where the parents let the nurse to name her baby girl.   She looked at the birth certificate and went with it.  Name pronounced fa-ma-lee.   The mom mistaken thought her baby name was thus by reading the birth certificate but it was actually female as in gender.    :2funny:

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 11:21:56 AM »
Ask not what your name can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your name.

I know you have a redneck name which is good for business.  :2funny:

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »
Not so. I added an American name as a middle name as a souvenir of my US citizenship, but I have used my Hmong name for my business. I've even registered my Hmong name in an LLC.

I know you have a redneck name which is good for business.  :2funny:

"...

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 11:54:55 PM »
Bias and prejudice exist in our world.  In addition, many companies select candidates based upon the notion of fit.  What is fit?  Fit can be personality, values, beliefs, temperament, experience, industry, and etc...  So does your name matter?  I argue it absolutely does.  If your name is JaQuan or DeMarcus, most likely some companies will reject you before reading your resume because they don't think you'll "FIT" in.  It could be your personality, values, belief, temperament, etc...  Even if you have the experience, industry, and etc... down, you might not get a look at.  Sadly, that's the kind of society we live in.  Having an Americanized name helps you present yourself better, and communicate who you are better, and that will help you fit in better.  If I argue, a good job helps your life become easier, then a name which is a predicate of it matters greatly.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 05:48:00 AM »
Duma might be talking more about using a well-known name to boost one's bet in most areas of life. His example is to use Winston for Winston Churchill, a famous figure already. And the character that is supposed to come with it.

Any Hmong using Kennedy or Martin Luther yet? I know a Hmong guy named King George already.

Sure, we have bias and prejudice around. And so if your name is Smith (White), you are more likely get interviewed in a job than a Jackson (Black). But what a name is supposed to make the person is the question.

Bias and prejudice exist in our world.  In addition, many companies select candidates based upon the notion of fit.  What is fit?  Fit can be personality, values, beliefs, temperament, experience, industry, and etc...  So does your name matter?  I argue it absolutely does.  If your name is JaQuan or DeMarcus, most likely some companies will reject you before reading your resume because they don't think you'll "FIT" in.  It could be your personality, values, belief, temperament, etc...  Even if you have the experience, industry, and etc... down, you might not get a look at.  Sadly, that's the kind of society we live in.  Having an Americanized name helps you present yourself better, and communicate who you are better, and that will help you fit in better.  If I argue, a good job helps your life become easier, then a name which is a predicate of it matters greatly.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 05:50:24 AM by Reporter »

"...

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »
Not so. I added an American name as a middle name as a souvenir of my US citizenship, but I have used my Hmong name for my business. I've even registered my Hmong name in an LLC.

Your business, you caters to the minority groups so a minority name will fit them well. 

Unless you have already established yourself and your name then your ancient name do not matter but to start out, it will be a tougher mountain to climb. 

Now let's suppose two individuals with equals.  Only differences are their names.  One guy ho Lee fuk and another guy Johnson Robles, both are azn Americanized. 

Honestly, I have never met an Americanized minority with an ancient name before.  I'm sure there are some and I'm sure they may want to add or switch it to position themselves in life. 

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »
Oh Iono, but I will say that the last 3 people named Danny that I encountered were all gay. 

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 04:15:23 AM »

I'll play devil's advocate here.

With all the complaining about hiring discrimination from the likes of kaydoo folks, the ones who do get hired into a company of predominantly white folks also complain how they don't fit in with all the Pams and Beckys.

Kaydoo be saying, "they discriminate against me because they say I don't fit in."

Gets hired.

Now kaydoo be saying, "I don't feel like I fit in."

This is why I don't put too much value into what black activists say in regards to this issue. They do the same thing with education.

Kaydoo be saying, "white people have better schools. I'm underperformin g due to inadequate resources in black schools."

Gets to the better school. Underperforms.

Kaydoo be saying, "It's culturally insensitive to my needs. Plus, I can't afford to do some of the mandatory projects."

They are the race of excuses.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 10:58:30 AM »
Replace Blacks with Jews, B-N-M.

You know, let's call ALL ducks, ducks, if they walk, talk and waddle like one.

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +454
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 05:21:19 PM »
Replace Blacks with Jews, B-N-M.

You know, let's call ALL ducks, ducks, if they walk, talk and waddle like one.

But Jews never allowed any discrimination stop them from becoming a successful group and I mean real discrimination .

Blacks just be making it up as they go along nowadays.  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Advertisements