Advertisement

Author Topic: I'm so sick of the Hmong drinking culture!  (Read 974 times)

Anonymous

Re: I'm so sick of the Hmong drinking culture!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »
First of all, it ain't even Hmong culture.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline flint-rod

• Respect: +197
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 10:58:30 AM »
hey... i don't care if you think it's impolite or what not but ain't nobody can make you drink if you don't want to drink... you only think you "have to" drink because deep down inside... you want to drink... lol!

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »
as stated, it's not about the drinking but the acceptance and express of appreciation.

the point is, one can absolutely refuse to drink what is being offered, however still acknowledge and thank them for their kind gesture.
OP here -It is about the drinking. There are many ways to show acceptance and appreciation besides drinking.  How about just go over and "shakes" a person's hand, have small talks minus the alcohol.  What's wrong w/ that?

Also, a person cannot absolutely refuse because to do so is to be "rude" and not showing acceptance and appreciation, opposite of what you said.  Sure, you can try to talk out of it but many times they expect you to drink  and will be waiting for the empty cans. 

To me, it's all about peer pressure and it takes a strong man,  strong person to understand a person can show respect, appreciation in other ways.

Anonymous

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 01:25:16 PM »
Face it, drinking is all over the world in every culture. 

Yes, drinking is a gesture of honor and appreciation in many culture, whether you believe it or not. 

Just a general opinion on the outlook - I always find how contradicting many people are when they say they dislike something in their own culture but is willing to do the exact same thing at the same level in another culture.

In honesty, it starts with you.  If you don't like it, don't practice it.  If you must refuse, then do so.  You don't have to care about the culture.  You don't have to care about other's culture.  People will accuse you of discriminating and criticize you for it but that's what you must put up with.  It's okay, it's all part of life lessons.

Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 01:46:23 PM »
OP here -It is about the drinking. There are many ways to show acceptance and appreciation besides drinking.  How about just go over and "shakes" a person's hand, have small talks minus the alcohol.  What's wrong w/ that?

Also, a person cannot absolutely refuse because to do so is to be "rude" and not showing acceptance and appreciation, opposite of what you said.  Sure, you can try to talk out of it but many times they expect you to drink  and will be waiting for the empty cans. 

To me, it's all about peer pressure and it takes a strong man,  strong person to understand a person can show respect, appreciation in other ways.
i beg to differ and as i pointed out, occasions where alcohol is offered, one can substitute a different drink...unders tanding people will not force anyone to drink. 
to put in perspective, when drinks are offered, it is offered because they respect you.  if one has no respect for you, don't even expect to get offered regardless how thirsty you are.  it's like a bunch of girls at the bar, everyone gets offered drinks except you...it will be sad, almost to the point of demoralizing (especially, if you wanted a drink too). ha!

Anonymous

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 02:08:49 PM »
Face it, drinking is all over the world in every culture. 

Yes, drinking is a gesture of honor and appreciation in many culture, whether you believe it or not. 

Just a general opinion on the outlook - I always find how contradicting many people are when they say they dislike something in their own culture but is willing to do the exact same thing at the same level in another culture.

In honesty, it starts with you.  If you don't like it, don't practice it.  If you must refuse, then do so.  You don't have to care about the culture.  You don't have to care about other's culture.  People will accuse you of discriminating and criticize you for it but that's what you must put up with.  It's okay, it's all part of life lessons.
OP here - I'm surprised you don't see anything wrong w/ the excessive drinking in the Hmong community and makes excuse for such behaviors.  In other cultures, I don't see table full of beer cans like in the Hmong community and you see it at every event too.  I was just at a funeral and sad but people were drinking so much and getting wasted.  Some didn't even pay respect tot he deceased.  Just go straight to the drinking table..stay until drunk and then left.

Anonymous

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 02:16:08 PM »
i beg to differ and as i pointed out, occasions where alcohol is offered, one can substitute a different drink...unders tanding people will not force anyone to drink. 
to put in perspective, when drinks are offered, it is offered because they respect you.  if one has no respect for you, don't even expect to get offered regardless how thirsty you are.  it's like a bunch of girls at the bar, everyone gets offered drinks except you...it will be sad, almost to the point of demoralizing (especially, if you wanted a drink too). ha!
Give me an example of substitution drink you see among the men?  Water?  Pepsi?  yeah right!  I have not come across a single man that substitute beer for water, not a single one in all the years I've seen people drinking.  What do you mean people will not force you to drink?  Of course they do and they will keep trying until you give in because you don't want to "disrespect" and or show your lack of appreciation.  Maybe, just maybe at the end of the night when you're drunk  you could get away w/ it but as long as your eyes are open and remain standing little chance UNLESS you sneak and replace the beer can w/ an empty bottle or hide, pretend to finish the beer.  You could get away w/ it if the person offering the beer is lenient otherwise you'll have to show proof you finish to the last drop.  Imagine if you have many friends you're going to be wasted before the night is over. 

It seems  the only way to avoid drinking is either be a person w/ few friends or  respect, a nobody.  Is that what we're actually saying to our kids?  Be a nobody and you're safe.  Be somebody and be prepared to have respect pour down on you in the form of Beer.  No, beer is not alcohol,it's respect. 

Anonymous

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2019, 03:00:08 PM »
if drink is being offer to you....politel y say no.  give examples of you must.  or just flat out say you don't want any.  if the person offering you the drink, if he have any respects for you, he'll understand.

Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 03:28:20 PM »
OP here - I'm surprised you don't see anything wrong w/ the excessive drinking in the Hmong community and makes excuse for such behaviors.  In other cultures, I don't see table full of beer cans like in the Hmong community and you see it at every event too.  I was just at a funeral and sad but people were drinking so much and getting wasted.  Some didn't even pay respect tot he deceased.  Just go straight to the drinking table..stay until drunk and then left.

How about this:  Alcohol is used in religion as offering and depending on the religion, a blessing.  Are you going to go and tell them that they are using it as an excuse to get drunk? 

Instead of a "table full of beer cans," it can be an attractive kegarator and keeping it looking nice and clean at the tables.

Anonymous

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 09:45:12 PM »
one time someone gave me a shot of rice wine.. I was a good boy, so i never really drank or smoke. well, long story short, i was so scare to reject the offer, so i took the shot, only to spit it back out all over the guy who gave it to me, all the while coughing like crazy and turning red. everybody was like wtf, and some were laughing...tha t only anger me and well all hells broke loose, next thing a whole bunch of drunktards were ganging up on me but good thing they were all too drunk to do any serious damage.

Anonymous

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 05:30:37 AM »
So sick..so don't go.  There are problems that can't be fixed.

It's not just in Hmong community...yo u have to see it's there in many other places too.  Ocktober Fest...St.Patr ick's...you don't see beer cans....you see kegs...

Anonymous

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2019, 07:56:24 AM »
So sick..so don't go.  There are problems that can't be fixed.

It's not just in Hmong community...yo u have to see it's there in many other places too.  Ocktober Fest...St.Patr ick's...you don't see beer cans....you see kegs...

Yeah but Meekas don't force or make you feel guilty for not drinking.

I try to avoid going to events that are held at the local Hmong club to avoid these situations.  I know there's always drinking going on.
If I'm sitting at the table for a ceremony, it's fine, I will take my drinks.

Anonymous

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2019, 08:32:12 AM »
Give me an example of substitution drink you see among the men?  Water?  Pepsi?  yeah right!  I have not come across a single man that substitute beer for water, not a single one in all the years I've seen people drinking.  What do you mean people will not force you to drink?  Of course they do and they will keep trying until you give in because you don't want to "disrespect" and or show your lack of appreciation.  Maybe, just maybe at the end of the night when you're drunk  you could get away w/ it but as long as your eyes are open and remain standing little chance UNLESS you sneak and replace the beer can w/ an empty bottle or hide, pretend to finish the beer.  You could get away w/ it if the person offering the beer is lenient otherwise you'll have to show proof you finish to the last drop.  Imagine if you have many friends you're going to be wasted before the night is over. 

It seems  the only way to avoid drinking is either be a person w/ few friends or  respect, a nobody.  Is that what we're actually saying to our kids?  Be a nobody and you're safe.  Be somebody and be prepared to have respect pour down on you in the form of Beer.  No, beer is not alcohol,it's respect.
when at the men's table, they have other drinks on the table, you pour what you want.  hau tsis tau ces hloov or hau tsis tau ces hla...just announce it to the head of table.  I've done it multiple times.

from what i gather, it's not the alcohol but your associations (friends, family member and people), they are just pure evil people...they just want to kill him by drowning of alcohol.  why even attend?  ha!

Anonymous

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2019, 08:47:51 AM »
OP here- we can all agree to disagree but I recognize the Hmong community has a drinking problem  and people carrying on w/ their lives like nothing's wrong with it.  No one talks about it.  No one is doing anything about it.  All the Hmong leaders are promoting like it's nothing.  Young people are following in their foot steps.  Drinking is expected at every event. 

If you are a person who knows a lot of people, well known in the community, how did you get away w/ drinking when you go to Hmong events?  Just curious.

I know the minute you walked in, people will come to drag you to the drinking table or offer you beer one friend after another.  How did you do it?  How did you avoid being part of the statistic of drunkeness?

Anonymous

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2019, 08:54:50 AM »
when at the men's table, they have other drinks on the table, you pour what you want.  hau tsis tau ces hloov or hau tsis tau ces hla...just announce it to the head of table.  I've done it multiple times.

from what i gather, it's not the alcohol but your associations (friends, family member and people), they are just pure evil people...they just want to kill him by drowning of alcohol.  why even attend?  ha!
There' s no other drink at the table besides more hard liquor you can substitute for and many cases you cannnot hla unless you're pretty drunk and cannot hold anymore liquor, head down, knocked out.

I'm thinking to myself:  Why do men do that to themselves, to the point their health and safety is not important in the name of "honor, respect, and appreciation."  People may think they are drinking "honor, respect, and appreciation" and not BEER but the reality is it IS BEER going into your system and IT IS BEER that will cause consequences sooner or later if you're not careful enough.  Can you imagine doing this for years and years?

Advertisements