Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Way To Take Down Wallpaper  (Read 4525 times)

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
Best Way To Take Down Wallpaper
« on: July 02, 2019, 08:19:07 AM »
1. Bought another house that has wallpaper and been using the warm water with detergent method but is there a better, easier way to take down wallpaper?  The warm water with detergent method is so messy!  I very much hate wallpaper now!
2. After you take off the wallpaper with the warm water and detergent method, do you use a wet rag to wipe the walls since they have a bit of detergent on them?  And/or do you just wipe off the glue backing and smooth the wall with a putty knife without wiping off the detergent?
3.  Has anyone used the steamer method to take down wallpaper?  Do you recommend it or no?  I hear yes and no from people.  'No' because it could scorch the dry wall.

There are many methods.  Just wondering which methods/techniques you've found to be the best.  Please share.  Thank you.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
Re: Best Way To Take Down Wallpaper
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 08:41:14 AM »
Dang it, why didn't I see this video before I started on the wallpaper project?  https://youtu.be/Ijwn9GsMJAc

My friend and other people suggested hot water and fabric softener or hot water and detergent.  I opted for the hot water and dish detergent method but the idea that there are detergent residue on the walls just doesn't sit right with me. None of the other videos/written tips that I saw before say to just use hot water and nothing else!

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 09:10:58 AM »
I only know one way, first I use the wallpaper scoring tool, spray with soapy warm water and scrape it off.

Like this post: +1
I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 09:58:58 AM »
Thank you, ProudLao.

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 06:35:03 PM »
There are many methods.  Just wondering which methods/techniques you've found to be the best.  Please share.  Thank you.

One of the methods I like to use is the “contractor” method, if possible.  It does cost a little more....but it’s very easy, doesn’t take a lot of work, and less time consuming.  ;D

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 05:31:38 PM »
One of the methods I like to use is the “contractor” method, if possible.  It does cost a little more....but it’s very easy, doesn’t take a lot of work, and less time consuming.  ;D

For sho!  Next time I'm using the contractor method!  ;D  My hands felt like they were going to fall off!  Behind each wallpaper were many layers of yuck that I had to take off.  The wallpaper itself, then the dried up and hard glue, then the soap that washed off that glue.  Also, sometimes when you rip off the wallpaper, that process can remove some of the old paint and drywall, so then you need to use the drywall patching mud (I used the Ready Patch mud that's already made so you don't have to mix your own mud) to fill in those little holes and then smooth out the mud with a putty knife, then you need to let the mud dry, and then sand down the dry mud to create a smooth and even surface before painting.  It took me FOREVER (a week) to take down wallpaper from approximately 20 walls and to get the walls cleaned before they could be ready to be repainted.  I hate wallpaper!  Please, never put up wallpaper, everyone!  I beg you!

The best way to take down wallpaper is to do the following:
1. Combine hot tap water and Dawn dish detergent in a sprayer bottle.  Note: Don't use a lot of soap; fill the bottle up with hot tap water (don't use boiled water) and put in about a teaspoon of Dawn dish detergent.
2. Take off the wallpaper from the walls.
3. Spray the hot water/dish detergent mixture on the the small areas of the wall that you'll be working in for approximately 2-4 minutes at a time; let the water/soap mixture soak on the wall for 1-2 minutes before you use a putty knife to scrape off the glue.
4. Repeat step 3 on the other parts of the wall until you've removed the 1st layer of glue from the wall.
5. Wet a dish washing scrub sponge (the ones with a scouring side) in hot water with dish detergent and remove the excess glue off the walls.  Use the scouring side to remove the glue and the soft spongy side to wipe off the glue.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 01:47:12 PM »
For sho!  Next time I'm using the contractor method!  ;D  My hands felt like they were going to fall off!  Behind each wallpaper were many layers of yuck that I had to take off.  The wallpaper itself, then the dried up and hard glue, then the soap that washed off that glue.  Also, sometimes when you rip off the wallpaper, that process can remove some of the old paint and drywall, so then you need to use the drywall patching mud (I used the Ready Patch mud that's already made so you don't have to mix your own mud) to fill in those little holes and then smooth out the mud with a putty knife, then you need to let the mud dry, and then sand down the dry mud to create a smooth and even surface before painting.  It took me FOREVER (a week) to take down wallpaper from approximately 20 walls and to get the walls cleaned before they could be ready to be repainted.  I hate wallpaper!  Please, never put up wallpaper, everyone!  I beg you!

The best way to take down wallpaper is to do the following:
1. Combine hot tap water and Dawn dish detergent in a sprayer bottle.  Note: Don't use a lot of soap; fill the bottle up with hot tap water (don't use boiled water) and put in about a teaspoon of Dawn dish detergent.
2. Take off the wallpaper from the walls.
3. Spray the hot water/dish detergent mixture on the the small areas of the wall that you'll be working in for approximately 2-4 minutes at a time; let the water/soap mixture soak on the wall for 1-2 minutes before you use a putty knife to scrape off the glue.
4. Repeat step 3 on the other parts of the wall until you've removed the 1st layer of glue from the wall.
5. Wet a dish washing scrub sponge (the ones with a scouring side) in hot water with dish detergent and remove the excess glue off the walls.  Use the scouring side to remove the glue and the soft spongy side to wipe off the glue.

You are such a handy woman!  O0

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 09:26:53 PM »
You are such a handy woman!  O0

Thanks!  It was a horrible experience, one I hope to never repeat.  Lol!

Online Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +363
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 09:17:39 PM »
Are we talking about desktop wallpaper or interior wallpaper?

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 10:43:39 AM »
Are we talking about desktop wallpaper or interior wallpaper?

LOL.  "Interior of house" wallpaper.  I cringe when I hear people say they want to put up wallpaper in their house.  That is a stupid decision!  ;D

Online Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +363
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 02:45:20 PM »
LOL.  "Interior of house" wallpaper.  I cringe when I hear people say they want to put up wallpaper in their house.  That is a stupid decision!  ;D

I see. I always hear clients want to change their house but later they change their mind.  ;D
Kinda waste my time designing the interiors and at same time I kinda feel good when I just came up with the idea.

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Advertisements