Advertisement

Author Topic: How was J4th in MN this year?  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Fancee

• Global Moderator
  • Shine bright like a diamond
  • Respect: +340
    • View Profile
    • First Financial Security Senior Associate
How was J4th in MN this year?
« on: July 09, 2019, 09:54:11 AM »
For the 4th time since its inception, we didn't attend, including this year and last year (2yrs in a row).
My husband and I had always look forward to J4th ... to take our kids to enjoy and see a lot of Hmong people; to meet up with family and friends; to support our boys and their football team; to meet up with my PH friends, etc  ... and I, to support my husband's volleyball team back in the days.  They were the Chicago Sun Devils ... were a great team.

We had supported the J4th event for over 30yrs now.  We are considered loyalists.
Please don't corrupt our interests, Hmong MN!

Like this post: 0
Life insurance with living benefits.
Life insurance with a savings plan.
http://clients.firsfinancialsecurity.com/WF1700

Adverstisement

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
Re: How was J4th in MN this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »
we weren't even going to be up there this past weekend.  but end up coming up there anyways.  although we were up there, we didn't attend the event.  from the many clips on  youtube and from words of mouth, it looks like there weren't that many people.  I missed the old days, in 90's, when it was pack and it was the place to be. 

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 01:31:43 PM »
I didn't pay attention to how many people attended the event; I was paying attention to the foods only.

They still had the same kinds of foods they used to have some 15 years ago. More variety in fact: the natural sugar cane juice drinks, the Korean grilled whole squids, shish kabob beef, pork and chicken and a few others.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Fancee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
we weren't even going to be up there this past weekend.  but end up coming up there anyways.  although we were up there, we didn't attend the event.  from the many clips on  youtube and from words of mouth, it looks like there weren't that many people.  I missed the old days, in 90's, when it was pack and it was the place to be.
You can't go up to MN and not attend J4th!  What's wrong with you? :D :D :D

On a serious note, I miss the good old days, too ... when it was packed and everyone is there to have fun and socialize with each other.
And the sports team were REAL sports team ... not like how it is now .... where drunks come out on the field ... just to be on a team that's pulled together last minute.

flint-rod

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 01:59:37 PM »
no disrespect but i had better things to do over my j4th than to attend the freedom festival in mn... lol!

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 02:20:24 PM »
@Fancee

I'm from MN.  Just not in the twin cites.  We did attend the Mekong Night Market though.  And that was PACK.   

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 09:49:17 AM »
For the 4th time since its inception, we didn't attend, including this year and last year (2yrs in a row).
My husband and I had always look forward to J4th ... to take our kids to enjoy and see a lot of Hmong people; to meet up with family and friends; to support our boys and their football team; to meet up with my PH friends, etc  ... and I, to support my husband's volleyball team back in the days.  They were the Chicago Sun Devils ... were a great team.

We had supported the J4th event for over 30yrs now.  We are considered loyalists.
Please don't corrupt our interests, Hmong MN!
you should bring up your old team and play...you might get inducted into the hall of fame. 

fyi...my 1st time attending/participating j4...we beat your husband's team in '95! 

i went this year and saw so many OLD teammates and opponents...re miniscing of old times, wanted me to pick the ball and play again.

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline Fancee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 02:35:23 PM »
I didn't pay attention to how many people attended the event; I was paying attention to the foods only.

They still had the same kinds of foods they used to have some 15 years ago. More variety in fact: the natural sugar cane juice drinks, the Korean grilled whole squids, shish kabob beef, pork and chicken and a few others.
I like the idea of the sugar cane juice drinks.  They are so refreshing on a hot humid day!

Offline Fancee

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 02:36:35 PM »
no disrespect but i had better things to do over my j4th than to attend the freedom festival in mn... lol!
J4th isn't everyone's cup of tea.  It gets boring in time ... same thing year after year ... but for someone like me ... I like to see a lot of my Hmong people all together in one place.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:38:06 PM by Fancee »

Advertisements