Advertisement

Author Topic: Do you and your spouse share a bank account/money together???  (Read 2260 times)

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
My wife is a registered nurse and she makes $60k+++ annually
Thats a lot of money here in Wisconsin
She also makes more than me ( lol, $25k here)

Anyway she and I
We don’t share any banking together or money
I don’t even know how much she has
And afraid to ask

Like this post: 0
God did not created man...man created god

Adverstisement

flint-rod

Re: Do you and your spouse share a bank account/money together???
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:02:20 PM »
whatever works for you... right? now if you were to say that all couples should not share bank accounts... i would have a problem...

my wife and i... once we knew that we were going to settle down together... i had 5k in savings and she was 1k in debt due to her traveling expenses mainly credit card because she played volleyball a lot and would travel to the freedom festival every yr with her team, even when we dated...

anyway, long story short i told her to pay her debt off with our money... till this day we have joint finances... it was a excellent investment on my part because post college she has always made more than me... and she doesn't ever complain about how little i make... lol!

Like this post: +1

flint-rod

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 12:08:53 PM »
one yr she received a retention bonus because her company had been acquired by a competitor... anyway to show their gratitude for outstanding employees who perform exceptionally well... they gave her 60k dispersed over a yr time span... it was well received however that put our gross combined income over 210k which we ended up having to pay 8k in taxes... no fun... lol!

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:46:47 PM »
one yr she received a retention bonus because her company had been acquired by a competitor... anyway to show their gratitude for outstanding employees who perform exceptionally well... they gave her 60k dispersed over a yr time span... it was well received however that put our gross combined income over 210k which we ended up having to pay 8k in taxes... no fun... lol!

Damnnnnn

You guys are making a killing $$$
Im still driving my old 2000s chevy

Lol jk

If you are not happy at $25k
You won’t be happy at $200k
These trips and vacations get boring and the same after a while

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 01:52:30 PM »
whatever works for you... right? now if you were to say that all couples should not share bank accounts... i would have a problem...

my wife and i... once we knew that we were going to settle down together... i had 5k in savings and she was 1k in debt due to her traveling expenses mainly credit card because she played volleyball a lot and would travel to the freedom festival every yr with her team, even when we dated...

anyway, long story short i told her to pay her debt off with our money... till this day we have joint finances... it was a excellent investment on my part because post college she has always made more than me... and she doesn't ever complain about how little i make... lol!

I don’t know if my wife wants to do a joint account
Do you guys just put everything in the pot?
That would be kind of hard to keep track of spending

flint-rod

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 02:10:29 PM »
Damnnnnn

You guys are making a killing $$$
Im still driving my old 2000s chevy

Lol jk

If you are not happy at $25k
You won’t be happy at $200k
These trips and vacations get boring and the same after a while

agree with the "25k and 200k" remark... disagree with the vacation part... while you find it boring some of us work hard in order to enjoy trips and vacations...

flint-rod

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 02:34:55 PM »

I don’t know if my wife wants to do a joint account
Do you guys just put everything in the pot?
That would be kind of hard to keep track of spending

being a econ guy... when my wife and i first started working straight after college i made 30k and she made 45k... we lived in a 1 room apartment that cost 500 dollars per month roughly... this was mid 2000's... we both came from poverty aka government subsidized housing aka section 8... our parents were on welfare not by choice... so we knew the importance of money or so we thought...

anyway, my wife and i purchased a brand new spanking tacoma... my dream truck at the time... i still have it btw... a 2005 toyota tacoma long bed 4 door 4x4 that we paid roughly 500 dollars a month for... with those two major payments and our college loan payments of 100 bucks per month each... at the end of each month we had no money...

again because i was a econ guy i started to track our spending on an excel spreadsheet which i am really proficient at using but it was like pulling teeth... not pleasant at all... i must have collected two to three months worth of data aka receipts... this was prior to the spending apps we see nowadays...

long story short it turned out that the majority of our income went to eating out... together we made a conscious decision to save because we wanted to own a home someday and start a family... collectively we started saving 10 percent of our biweekly income to never be touched... we then went on to create these silly little individual accounts that we could spend together and separate... to this day i have 3 different savings account and 3 different money market accounts all under the same credit union but it helps us put money aside and then whatever is left can be used...

my wife and i after all these years still sit down together every two weeks or so and budget our excel spreadsheet together... it's only now that we don't worry about money as much because our incomes have increased but yet or practice still remains the same...

just the other day i spent 2k on fencing materials to which it isn't a concern to us anymore and she took the kids out and bought herself a kate spade purse that was a couple of hundred... no worries...

but like i said... in order for us to have gotten this far and comfortable with our finances... our practice started decades ago...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:38:53 PM by flint-rod »

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 02:41:01 PM »
agree with the "25k and 200k" remark... disagree with the vacation part... while you find it boring some of us work hard in order to enjoy trips and vacations...

i find vacation trip to be really boring
i recently went to Orlando
3+ hours flight (boring as hell in the plane, just sleep)
got there, sleep in messy, stinky hotel
hair from the last dude on the floor and sink

the lines were freakin long
and the food was hella expensive
just walk around like a zombie
i think we only got to ride like 3-4  rides only
you work hard for this???
but hey, you know, if you find this kinda of stuff enjoyable, that's all you brother
I AIN'T GO THE TIME OR PATIENCE TO BE WAITING IN LINE FOR ONE HOUR

p=pebhmong so you know im legit

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:43:22 PM by hmgROCK »

flint-rod

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 02:46:17 PM »
oh and if you question why we made what we made out of college... my wife was a head of the curve... she started interning her sophomore yr in college with the company that she's at right now... i on the other hand delivered pizzas... so the first job that paid me 15 bucks per hour working entry level looking at profit margins, i took... 15 times 40 hours per week times 52 weeks per yr or 2080 as i wld like to use comes out to 31,800.00... so i was actually making that much straight out of college with work experience that had to do with delivery pizzas, youth counselor, interpreter, and office clerical... no analytical work experience... lol!

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 02:53:43 PM »
oh and if you question why we made what we made out of college... my wife was a head of the curve... she started interning her sophomore yr in college with the company that she's at right now... i on the other hand delivered pizzas... so the first job that paid me 15 bucks per hour working entry level looking at profit margins, i took... 15 times 40 hours per week times 52 weeks per yr or 2080 as i wld like to use comes out to 31,800.00... so i was actually making that much straight out of college with work experience that had to do with delivery pizzas, youth counselor, interpreter, and office clerical... no analytical work experience... lol!

Work is work, man
Don’t matter what you do
Could be driving for UBER

gotta have all your people aka
1. Janitor
2.  Driver
3. Stocker
4. Doctors
5.  Supervisor

flint-rod

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 02:58:34 PM »

i find vacation trip to be really boring
i recently went to Orlando
3+ hours flight (boring as hell in the plane, just sleep)
got there, sleep in messy, stinky hotel
hair from the last dude on the floor and sink

the lines were freakin long
and the food was hella expensive
just walk around like a zombie
i think we only got to ride like 3-4  rides only
you work hard for this???
but hey, you know, if you find this kinda of stuff enjoyable, that's all you brother
I AIN'T GO THE TIME OR PATIENCE TO BE WAITING IN LINE FOR ONE HOUR

p=pebhmong so you know im legit

hey brother i realize the importance of saving... but at this point in my life it's about enjoying it as well... can't just be all about saving or vacationing for that matter... i have family members who vacation so much that i bet they don't even have more than 1k in savings if i had to guess... but hey, to each his own because in the end... it isn't about how much or how little we make or have... it's about how we enjoyed life... ain't no one can answer that but us...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:08:14 PM by flint-rod »

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 03:48:27 PM »
I'm thinking about going to the extreme.  Saving 100% but for how long, that I do not know.   Just like a yo yo diet or getting a gym membership, NFL stands for not for long.   :2funny:

But the concept of saving 100% intrigues me.  Not really 100% cuz we have necessary bills like gas and insurance and car payment but anything else, I gotta find a way to pay other stuff by moving the money around.  Like If I want to party on the weekend, I gotta find a way to hustle the money for a bottle of privilege.  Can it be done?  The challenge is there but if you can manage it for a year or as long as you can, you will have the back up money that will takes some folks years to get to. 

Gotta be a monk to do it and any itch that cost money will put me on a strict diet like go fishing instead but still, fishing cost money but I'll hustle for that funds too. 

Hustling is side money.  You live off your hustling money.  You don't even touch the money that you make off your 9-5 gig. 

Can it be done?  I can try and since I'm not married, it can be an achievable challenge.  Even the internet, I'll wifi free at work and by the neighbors.  Cell phone, well maybe get a fake gf that is nice enough to put me on as a $10 add a line and she will pay my fon bill.  Gotta trick her to thinking that if she pays the bill, she can monitor who I'm calling.   O0

Like going to jail.  0 income used while the government takes care of you.  Like a teenager once again where your parent pays all the bills and you worry less. 

Can it be done?  I dunno but it sure looks good on paper though.   

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

flint-rod

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 08:07:17 AM »
I'm thinking about going to the extreme.  Saving 100% but for how long, that I do not know.   Just like a yo yo diet or getting a gym membership, NFL stands for not for long.   :2funny:

But the concept of saving 100% intrigues me.  Not really 100% cuz we have necessary bills like gas and insurance and car payment but anything else, I gotta find a way to pay other stuff by moving the money around.  Like If I want to party on the weekend, I gotta find a way to hustle the money for a bottle of privilege.  Can it be done?  The challenge is there but if you can manage it for a year or as long as you can, you will have the back up money that will takes some folks years to get to. 

Gotta be a monk to do it and any itch that cost money will put me on a strict diet like go fishing instead but still, fishing cost money but I'll hustle for that funds too. 

Hustling is side money.  You live off your hustling money.  You don't even touch the money that you make off your 9-5 gig. 

Can it be done?  I can try and since I'm not married, it can be an achievable challenge.  Even the internet, I'll wifi free at work and by the neighbors.  Cell phone, well maybe get a fake gf that is nice enough to put me on as a $10 add a line and she will pay my fon bill.  Gotta trick her to thinking that if she pays the bill, she can monitor who I'm calling.   O0

Like going to jail.  0 income used while the government takes care of you.  Like a teenager once again where your parent pays all the bills and you worry less. 

Can it be done?  I dunno but it sure looks good on paper though.   

if i were single... i wld live out of a vehicle... preferably my toyota sienna... i see so many californians do this... actually the significant other and i plan on traveling the u.s. like this...

my only problem was that at the time i purchased an 8 passenger fwd sienna... now i am in the market for an awd sienna... i plan on lifting it so i can go off road (not too hardcore)   to places like the beach that will allow vehicles on it like pismo...

i plan on putting a bike rack on it, a kayak rack on it, and converting the back of it into a living quarter...

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 08:27:28 AM »
hey brother i realize the importance of saving... but at this point in my life it's about enjoying it as well... can't just be all about saving or vacationing for that matter... i have family members who vacation so much that i bet they don't even have more than 1k in savings if i had to guess... but hey, to each his own because in the end... it isn't about how much or how little we make or have... it's about how we enjoyed life... ain't no one can answer that but us...

im just telling you my Orlando experience
lines are long 1-2+ hours waiting
got to ride 3-4 rides the whole day
food is hella expensive
it's hot

i give it 2/10

it's boring as heck to me
i ain't got the time and patience

flint-rod

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 10:14:26 AM »

im just telling you my Orlando experience
lines are long 1-2+ hours waiting
got to ride 3-4 rides the whole day
food is hella expensive
it's hot

i give it 2/10

it's boring as heck to me
i ain't got the time and patience

agreed... been to universal... went the whole 9 yards with the family because chances are it was going to be our first and last... we got the fast pass... over crowded indeed...

this last time we went to busch gardens instead... the 11 and 13 yr old didn't want to do disney... i don't blame them... busch is a lot cheaper and we were able to ride all the major rides within a day... we also got the all day meal plan at 30 bucks a person... eat as much as you want every hour...

Advertisements