Advertisement

Author Topic: Couples married young illegally and still fighting decades later  (Read 35534 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
So a friend told me about their couples only road trip. Keep in mind all of these couples are Hmong and were married when they were underage (Hmong style). Some of their kids are adults already so they watch the younger siblings or throw them at grandma during this road trip.

There were 8 couples so they rented a 16 seater van. Seeing and doing new things during the road trip was nice but most of the couples can't help but fight with each other along the way about "stupid stuff". He said that really put a damper on the experience.

I told him I don't get it either because it's suppose to be a relaxing outing just for those couples that share similarities like being Hmong, married young, been married for decades, having adult kids as well as kids under ten, etc. I mean you finally have to chance to take space and a breather without the kids with other like couples and you can't even stop fighting over "stupid stuff"??  ??? :idiot2:

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Gucci K

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +164
    • View Profile
Re: Couples married young illegally and still fighting decades later
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 08:30:13 AM »
I've been in those kind of situation.  it starts out as jokes, fun and games.  everyone laughing and enjoying the moment...stori es are told and  then secrets are exposed.  interrogation starts, "you did what with who?" and now it's no longer a laughing matter.  even though it's history, women are less forgiving, especially if they have been married for a long time and now she's just finding out something new about her husband.

to avoid road trip fights is to limit the amount of partners...2 couples max.  having more than that, some can take a joke, some can't, and a few will instigate issues.  even though they're all friends, someone's feeling is going to get hurt!

wb Zaj Dab Neeg xaus lawm...

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 08:33:39 AM »
So a friend told me about their couples only road trip. Keep in mind all of these couples are Hmong and were married when they were underage (Hmong style). Some of their kids are adults already so they watch the younger siblings or throw them at grandma during this road trip.

There were 8 couples so they rented a 16 seater van. Seeing and doing new things during the road trip was nice but most of the couples can't help but fight with each other along the way about "stupid stuff". He said that really put a damper on the experience.

I told him I don't get it either because it's suppose to be a relaxing outing just for those couples that share similarities like being Hmong, married young, been married for decades, having adult kids as well as kids under ten, etc. I mean you finally have to chance to take space and a breather without the kids with other like couples and you can't even stop fighting over "stupid stuff"??  ??? :idiot2:
So these Hmong couples were underaged but some of their kids were adults already?  Something sounds a bit off here.

I'm guessing you meant they got married young but this is years later and their kids were already grown up, but how is that relevant to the rest of the story?

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »
So these Hmong couples were underaged but some of their kids were adults already?  Something sounds a bit off here.

I'm guessing you meant they got married young but this is years later and their kids were already grown up, but how is that relevant to the rest of the story?

Got married young, never had a chance to experience their 'tweens and early 20's and now they're experiencing some early "mid-life" crisis.

Got it.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 11:15:11 AM »
I don't expect people who are married young to know much about life. So, they wouldn't know how to get along on a trip or even back home.

I say people should wait to get married unless they already know how to work life's things. By "things", I mean anything from raising a family responsibly to going on a couples trip.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 11:18:46 AM »
Forced marriages are still a thing, isn't it?

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 04:46:56 PM »

Not surprised... ;D

Lex got it though:

Got married young, never had a chance to experience their 'tweens and early 20's and now they're experiencing some early "mid-life" crisis.

Got it.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 04:53:55 PM »
I don't expect people who are married young to know much about life. So, they wouldn't know how to get along on a trip or even back home.

My friend and his wife as well as two other couples did just fine on that road trip so some do and some don't...

I say people should wait to get married unless they already know how to work life's things. By "things", I mean anything from raising a family responsibly to going on a couples trip.

That's not necessarily the case for some folks that got married at an older age (30s-40s) either. Sure on average, probably but I've also seen couples that married later that can't raise a family responsibly too. Keep in mind, the couples that in this thread are between the ages of 40-45 yrs. old...

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »
Forced marriages are still a thing, isn't it?

Having seen it in a while but I'm sure it's still happening here in the states and more so oversea.. ???

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 07:04:26 PM »
Not surprised... ;D

Lex got it though:
dumbest story I've ever heard but then again, those are your friends so.. Not surprised.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 07:27:13 PM »
Classic case is renting 1 hotel room and every couples sharing the same space. 

To me, heck nah.  I don't do car road trips with other couples.  If anything, I'll meet you guys there and we will all be in the same hotel but not in the same room.  When things do get ugly, I need my own car for and escape route.  I'll meet you guys at home or something. 

Like taking a date out but the date turns sour so you can't just kick that person out and leave them there either.  It just not right to strand someone but all depending though.  If that person somehow ended up dying, you will be a person of interest for sure.  All bad situations. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 10:25:49 PM »
dumbest story I've ever heard but then again, those are your friends so.. Not surprised.

Definitely not as dumb as having reading comp issues when others can easily comprehend the passage and "got it"...Or not as dumb as claiming "ignore" but can't even follow through... ;D

My friend and his wife did fine so yep, "Not surprised"... O0

Advertisements