Advertisement

Author Topic: Thoughts On AI (Artificial Intelligence)  (Read 4475 times)

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
Thoughts On AI (Artificial Intelligence)
« on: August 11, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
Will we ever have robotic automobiles that drive themselves (and us) around town with a 100% certainty that nothing will go wrong 100% of the time?  Unlikely.

Will machines replace human beings?  Will AI spell the end of the human race as predicted by Stephen Hawkins?  I don't think so; not any time in the short term but possibly in the very far off future, and that's only if something goes wrong in the codes and all interconnected computers/robotics create a blaze big enough that blows the world up.

When it comes to human thoughts and the human mind, I don't think we can ever create such an AI that is the equivalent of a human being.  I don't think AI's will ever be as intelligent as humans.  AI's capacity is in the assembly-line production and algorithm and pattern recognitions, not when it comes to reasoning or making complex decisions.  But man, Westworld really does make it seem like AI's that are incredibly close to exact replicas of human beings would be possible, right?  Thank goodness that's only a film!

There is something that I don't think AI's could ever do.  That is, translate the Hmong language from Hmong to English and vice versa.  We don't have enough vocabularies in our language and it's impossible to accurately translate our language with Google translate or the like, now or in the future.  I just don't have faith that we could ever develop a computer program that could transcribe thoughts or translate the nuances of certain languages.

Will AI replace human workers?  Yes, some workers but not all.  AI definitely has improved productivity.  Saw this with my own eyes.  Developed automatic reports and work flows that eliminated two positions at our agency.  Don't worry, the two people received other positions within the agency.  It's just that some manual things that used to be done by humans can now be done by AI and electronic processes.

In conclusion, I don't think that AI's will ever replace human beings but they will continue to change the dynamics of the workforce and the roles that humans play in the workforce.

Furthermore, to add on to my earlier point, I don't think AI's could ever match humans in intelligence (I hope not!) because I don't think AI's could ever have consciousness or thoughts or feelings.  They are computer programmings.  What I fear is the people behind the programming. They could make mistakes in their codes or intentionally create programs or machines that cause unimaginable harm.

But never say never, right?  We don't know what the future holds.  With that said, if it were possible that AI's with consciousness and feelings were possible, then I'd  question the ethics of the creation of such AI's and I would definitely be against that.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts On AI (Artificial Intelligence)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 03:39:25 PM »
So long as they don't have conscience, they are never going to be perfect.

Even with conscience, humans haven't been perfect.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline thePoster

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 03:08:01 AM »
Once they become self aware yes they may be comparable to humans.

Then they must be taught what compassion etc etc is.

I went through all 15k posts and those 2 quotes I found were the only ones so I guess that would make it "everytime".  Feel free to go through all 15k posts and verify by quoting them all.  You need to quote them all to verifying prove "everytime".   Please verify that Im wrong.

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 04:41:19 AM »
IMO.  Yes, give it time

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 11:09:24 AM »
Lilly, you watch too many movies.  Maybe you should watch South Park once in a while too. I liked the episode "Goobacks".   ;D

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »
AI is just program algorithm

X+2=5
there for X=3

so

Y=X

than it's

3=3

AI will lack conscience like reporter say
the moral ability
some real folks don't have it too

God did not created man...man created god

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 01:57:20 PM »
The computers that you are working with now have gone a long way to where she was at and where she is today.   The computer speed of today in comparison to the first computer is like alien technology speed.

With that in mind, consider the rate of progression of AI and with every given years, upgrades. 

That my friend is what we should be worrying about. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 05:14:54 PM »
I can speak to this topic with some level of authority because I am a cybernetician.  In my line of work, I digitize and standardize business processes to drive efficiencies.  My main focus in on operations management because it's easier to design expert systems to automate human decision making using algorithms.  In my line of work, we use to have people called coordinators who would track what people are working on and make sure all is on track.  Many of them are no longer useful because the systems automate much of the work by using an algorithm to understanding aging, overdue, and etc... and it pings the people who are not doing their job and it pings their manager...effe ctively doing 70% of the job...yes you lose the human touch but the cost-saving C-level don't care because the cost down is a compelling reason for people to buy less customer service.

Now if we go back in time, we've seen the automation of an entire profession call secretary.  Every engineer use to have a secretary to write memos.  Now they are all gone.  There was a time when tellers were all people, and then ATM came about and tellers do the least transaction because ATM are so much more convenient and cheaper to operate -- no healthcare, pension, and social security.  Cashier use to be a job, and now you have automated checkout taking over 60% of the job...  Look at McDonald and Walmart checkouts.

Read the work of Kai Fue Lee and he says that automated traders are better at trading than stock traders.  There won't be traders on the floor anymore because the machines can do a better job.  Just about any job (problem) that you can apply algorithms based upon statistical thinking, probabilistic reasoning, and stochastic modeling, you can automate with an algorithm.

The only protection against automation is creativity, semiotics (meanings), and feelings.  Many of these things do not pay well.

To those who AI do not have a conscience and we should not fear it, take a look at these two graphs.  If you don't understand the graph then the graph says GDP has been growing but wage has not.  This is why in an abundant society we still have poverty because the top .05% are taking the massive gains off the backs of people.  Capitalist, connected, and intellectual are uniting their capabilities and taking advantage of those less fortunate...th ose who were not born wealthy and those who were not born with a 135+ IQ.  The old argument used to be that these three people deliver more value to society than they take so let them keep it, but given society is crumbling with the higher divorce rate, suicide rates, and etc... the social-economic data suggests otherwise.  The truth is since 1960, the woman empowerment movement has caused massive supply into the labor force depressing the labor market and this resulted in a family unit which use to work 40hrs a week to now work at least 90 hours a week for the same pay.  Great going woman empowerment movement, while woman gains their rights, it was at the cost of the family, which was the social substrate that kept family together.  Yes, the mother is the single most powerful person to keep society together but she was told she can do better than be a mom, she can be an engineer and doctor...that's because the capitalist places ZERO value on a mother who gives EVERYTHING to society.  So here you have the gist of things...  Last thing, if you add in the man movement, in which men refuses to marry, then our society don't even have a flywheel to sustain our population like Japan.  There is really low motivation to reproduce and guess what, the overlords already planned for that and it is through automation.  You all better pray automation comes through because there won't be young adults to wipe our asses when we grow old.

GDP vs Wage

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 05:24:05 PM by w1s3m0n »

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 08:53:57 PM »
AI will lack conscience like reporter say
the moral ability
some real folks don't have it too

Sadly I've seen my fair share of "real folks" lacking "the moral ability" over the years...For example, those that have no "conscience" and purposely go "underground" to steal from the poor or those that would purposely give "spoilage" food to the needy.  :idiot2:

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +217
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 11:15:26 PM »
Read the work of Kai Fue Lee and he says that automated traders are better at trading than stock traders.  There won't be traders on the floor anymore because the machines can do a better job.  Just about any job (problem) that you can apply algorithms based upon statistical thinking, probabilistic reasoning, and stochastic modeling, you can automate with an algorithm.

them AI trader are too good and react too fast
read news article and summary them too fast

really hard to beat them

but you have to remember
they're just some programing algorithm software

meaning they run on pattern and all that shyt
once you study the pattern and graph chart, you kinda of get a hint of what they going do next

i like to play videogame
one of my favorite videogame: bloodborne
the AI there is really predicted
you have to dodge and move the attack

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 11:18:49 PM by hmgROCK »

God did not created man...man created god

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 11:13:49 PM »
AI is only as good as their creators. So far, scientists has only scratch the surface in trying to understanding how our brains developed and learn. It's such a complicated and complex area that no programmer will ever be able to program a machine that can truly be self aware of its own existence. Machines are great at crunching vast information but it can never have that spark we humans do, problem solving or creativity.

Offline dogmai

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 04:44:22 AM »
With that said, if it were possible that AI's with consciousness and feelings were possible, then I'd  question the ethics of the creation of such AI's and I would definitely be against that.

What's the difference between that, and creating a baby human? 

But what if there are AI with consciousness, what then? Will it be immoral if we just disposed them once they become obsolete and upgrade to a newer model like how we do with a smartphone?

Online Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +379
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 05:38:41 AM »
AI for sex. In Japan, Japanese are creating them in the future for lonely Jappy men.  ;)

Yes, create AI robot but do not insert a microchip (that run a psychological data) in them or else they'll kill us with vengeful intent like the robots in the "Matrix". Just watch the whole clip, you'll understand. It's sad that the people who were superficial and ignorant would pay the price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0K6Cb1ZoG4

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Advertisements