Advertisement

Author Topic: Should I keep going ?  (Read 7408 times)

Offline ciel

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Should I keep going ?
« on: August 19, 2019, 01:47:58 AM »
Hey all ! I would love some input/advice/encouragement. I’m torn between moving forward or staying stagnant with my education and I think all I may need is a little push. In my heart, I want to seek higher education but my mind is telling me I can’t do it. Reason being, I’ve had to deal with a lot of things since graduating 4 yrs ago and my goals have just been swept under the rug. My degree is a BA in Sociology and I had planned to do my postgraduate in Social Work soon after but unfortunately I lost my dad right before graduation. I halted all plans and stayed home to care for my mother, it took me a year to get back on my feet and I found a job in the medical field which I really came to enjoy. It got me thinking about entering a MSPA Program which I had planned to this fall however my mom suddenly passed, just very recently. So I’m devastated, really lost, and feel pointless. Now I’m just full of doubt about everything from plans about returning to school to deciding what I want to get my masters in now. Idk what to do guys :/

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline tRouBLe

• Administrator
  • Welcome to PH! 😜
  • Respect: +1038
    • View Profile
Re: Should I keep going ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 11:51:59 AM »
I’m sorry for your losses.  It is devastating and hard when you lose loved ones but do not contemplate too much about the past because what’s done is done, there is nothing you can do about it.  It’s the present that will affect your future, so take time for yourself and refocus on your goals/priorities.  What is it that you want?  Maybe some of the Sociology majors in here can assist you in helping make a decision, in regards to their knowledge and experiences in that field...

Good luck!

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ~ John Wooden

Offline techy

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Should I keep going ?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »
Losing a parent is one the hardest thing to deal with in life and you lost both in such short time.  So sorry to hear that.

The things we do in life should be done with purpose or else it will not be as meaningful and may lead to regrets later on.  Our goals changes all the time, as it should be adapted to changes in our life and lessons learned.  I get it that you had started out with BA in sociology and was planning to pursue postgraduate work in social work but if you are in the medical field now and enjoy it, then updating to MSPA is probably the right thing for you now.  But just realize that going back to school means you have to live like a student again for that full duration: study 24/7, live on little source of income (all your "luxury" livings like cell/car/house will need to be cut down), limited recreational/social activities, etc... Given your time off and likely less background in the science field required for your current degree, you may need to refresh a lot of your basic math and science.  Even then you may struggle more in the program than your peers. If you are single and are determined than the decision is much easier.  If you are attached or have kids, then you do need to consider the impact to them as well.  Keep in mind that the great things in life take a lot of effort and hard work.  Higher education is helpful not only in getting the credential but also in gaining the necessary knowledge to better live your life.  You may even consider getting your feet wet again by taking some refresher math and science courses at the community college to gauge your readiness and if you really want to commit to this.  The first impression you make to the MSPA program staff will be carried through the program so just make sure that is a good one.  Good luck in which ever decision you make.

Advertisements