Advertisement

Author Topic: Good time to go visit Thailand thanks to the trade war and the Chinese??  (Read 747 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
 ???:

Shunned by Chinese, Thai tourism hotspot Phuket braces for rare slump

Hotels on Thailand's most popular holiday island have been forced to slash prices with rooms left vacant and beaches sparse as tourist chiefs struggle with a plunge in Chinese visitors caused by the US trade war and a stronger baht.

Tourism accounts for 18 per cent of Thailand's gross domestic product and Chinese holidaymakers make up more than a quarter of total arrivals.But while 2.2 million people from the country visited in 2018, according to official figures, numbers for January-September were down almost a fifth on-year.

"That was not the case this year," he said, adding he had to lower his prices by as much as 50 per cent.

The problem is not just in Phuket, with hotels also struggling to fill rooms in the seaside resort of Pattaya on the mainland and Koh Samui island.

Trade tensions with the US have already made some Chinese reluctant to take holidays owing to uncertainty back home

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Re: Good time to go visit Thailand thanks to the trade war and the Chinese??
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »
Best the Thai government can do is don't just gave us 30 day visa-free stays, how about a 6 month to a year? Most Americans w/o money can't stay that long anyways. But for those like me, I'm at my burned out stage in my career. Having a place to spend some money and observe the Kingdom would be nice. instead of having to worry about visa extensions and penalties.

Like this post: 0

Advertisements