Advertisement

Author Topic: If you are told to do higher-level work that you don't want to do...  (Read 4060 times)

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
My incompetent boss got fired so we don't have a boss right now.  I have been doing half of her work (another person is doing the other half) plus my regular work for the last 1.5 years without being compensated for doing her work.  And now I'm being told they will be giving me 70% of her work (they're taking 20% off of that other person and giving it to me to do) and I'm to do those additional work on top of my regular work indefinitely and with no additional increases in pay.  My temporary boss tried to justify giving me the additional Manager-level work using "other duties as assigned".  But my job specification lists "other duties of a similar nature or level" and not "other duties as assigned".  The work he tries to get me to do are not of "similar nature or level".  He doesn't plan to compensate me for doing Manager-level work either because he is an a$$ and mistreats people left and right (everyone hates him).  I've been too nice because I'm a team player and it's just my nature to help out the team when the team needs help.  But I feel that asking me to take on Manager-level work on a permanent basis and not compensating me for that work is disrespectful to me.  The temporary boss thinks he can do things to me because I'm a woman and a minority and he can push me around.  I'm nice and I'm a team player but I have my limits.  I know when I'm being used and abused.  He told me the stuff he wants me to do are in my job specs (lie) and if they are not too bad, I'm still going to have to do them.  How do I kindly tell my temporary boss to go to hell I'm not going to be doing the additional work?  I don't want to do that type of work on a permanent basis without being compensated for it.  I'll help out temporarily and I'm fine not getting paid for it but the real issue is that I don't want to do that type of work on a permanent basis, that's why when they offered me the Manager job I declined it.  I think I should talk to HR, right?  Or, should I try talking to my temporary boss again?  What do you think?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
Re: If you are told to do higher-level work that you don't want to do...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »
What I mean by "we don't have a boss right now" is that we don't have a true boss.  The temporary boss is not even in our department and he basically just signs our timesheets.  We don't see him often.  We see him maybe once a month, if even.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 02:49:46 PM »
You should give all of your work to your girlfriend TROUBLE   :2funny:

Well here at my establishment, a coworker friend of mine is fighting his discrimination case with his superiors.  They threw him more jobs that is out of his job titles and when he refuses, they wrote him up for not complying and doing his job. 

Phase 1 already in.  HR got involved.  They ganging up on him because he's a new american and he needs me to do email and write up docs and letter heads for him.  Now they are starting to figure out who is helping him to bite the hands that pays him.  Like duh, it's me and so should I be afraid of retaliation?  Absolutely not.   

I told him that from here on out, any orders that is not justifiable, he should print it out and have it in writing and send a copy to hr compliance department.  I already printed out mine and have a copy of my own complaint.  There was no training in doing a certain report and I did it based upon the format of my previous employer and my boss be like... It is not enough details..  So I CC to a bunch of people and leveled it out with him.  I just got a replied letter for a thank you for the clarification.  I'm like who's the boss here?  If I have to babysit his azz then what is his job title and what is he doing in his office for the whole 8 hours? 

Like If I go on PTO, why is it my job to coordinate a replacement and see if we  have enough coverage when it is his job to figure it out himself.  So I already requested my pto for this month and next month and without any extra wordings like how I used to do it cuz I'm a team player and I can do his job too but I should not.  Requests are in and man power c overages?  Not my problem.  It is about time people take responsibiliti es of their own. 

So what was your question again? 

Oh right, go to hr but play it safe.  I read an older article that 3 women who filed for harassment with google are no longer employed there.  This case here but this article is a tad old. 

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/google-turned-a-blind-eye-to-toxic-bro-culture-lawsuit-says/

Like this post: +1
X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 02:50:56 PM »
What I mean by "we don't have a boss right now" is that we don't have a true boss.  The temporary boss is not even in our department and he basically just signs our timesheets.  We don't see him often.  We see him maybe once a month, if even.

You gotta figure out how many other employees that carries your same job title and start splitting the tab otherwise, this is an unfair work ethic case. 

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 02:55:35 PM »
Also this co worker taught me the facts about life in the working environment.  He said that if you and your boss do not get along or see eye to eye, it is hard for you to survive in the long term cuz eventually, the job environment will be toxic to you and more jobbing will come later. 

They might play games with you by having you stress out and being overworked and any sane human being will quit on their terms than to have these types of work related stress load.  So if they want to get rid of you, they have to plant the situation so you can leave yourself.  Firing without cause is a law suit in itself unless you are at an at will employment kind of work. 

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
Yeah, I will have to ask him why I am getting hit with the majority of the ex-boss's work and not my co-workers.  He'll probably come back with "because you are more capable" than they are.  Well then golly, pay me more to take on the additional work, why don't cha, and take things off of my regular plate.  If he could just be nice and fair about it... but he wants me to just take on additional higher-level work with add'd stress with no add'l pay and be a submissive asian.  Nope.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 03:43:13 PM »
Let me tell you a short story....

I remembered the dot bomber days when people were jumping tech jobs from left to right because the jobs were plentiful. 

anyways, there were 3 of us in our department.   I was chosen and maybe volunteered to go and help out another department with their back up work load.  I was ridicule by the other 2 employees for doing thus. 

Then the market crashed of 2001 due to the world trade center getting bombed and the a lot of tech companies move with the market.  Massive layoffs galore and they got rid of my department but because I was cross trained, they kept me in the newer department. 

So the lesson is that some events are a devil in disguise.   I use all opportunity to learn a new skill because the more you know, the more valuable you are to the company. 

However, considering that you have been doing that extra load for 1.5 year, that is enough experiences already and you can start demanding.  I'll even call their bluff and say that I'm going to go apply with the competition and maybe they will give you a raise for keeping a highly knowledgeable employee. 

What tickle my fancy is if demands are not met and I do not get my pay or numbers and I leave,  soon after, the whole company shuts down.   Justice served. 

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 12:58:15 PM »
DO NOT TALK TO HR.  Talking to HR is like putting your boss on notice.  That will only cause you grief in the long end.

My incompetent boss got fired so we don't have a boss right now.  I have been doing half of her work (another person is doing the other half) plus my regular work for the last 1.5 years without being compensated for doing her work.  And now I'm being told they will be giving me 70% of her work (they're taking 20% off of that other person and giving it to me to do) and I'm to do those additional work on top of my regular work indefinitely and with no additional increases in pay.  My temporary boss tried to justify giving me the additional Manager-level work using "other duties as assigned".  But my job specification lists "other duties of a similar nature or level" and not "other duties as assigned".  The work he tries to get me to do are not of "similar nature or level".  He doesn't plan to compensate me for doing Manager-level work either because he is an a$$ and mistreats people left and right (everyone hates him).  I've been too nice because I'm a team player and it's just my nature to help out the team when the team needs help.  But I feel that asking me to take on Manager-level work on a permanent basis and not compensating me for that work is disrespectful to me.  The temporary boss thinks he can do things to me because I'm a woman and a minority and he can push me around.  I'm nice and I'm a team player but I have my limits.  I know when I'm being used and abused.  He told me the stuff he wants me to do are in my job specs (lie) and if they are not too bad, I'm still going to have to do them.  How do I kindly tell my temporary boss to go to hell I'm not going to be doing the additional work?  I don't want to do that type of work on a permanent basis without being compensated for it.  I'll help out temporarily and I'm fine not getting paid for it but the real issue is that I don't want to do that type of work on a permanent basis, that's why when they offered me the Manager job I declined it.  I think I should talk to HR, right?  Or, should I try talking to my temporary boss again?  What do you think?

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »
Just take the manager role because they are forcing it on you.

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 03:53:49 PM »
DO NOT TALK TO HR.  Talking to HR is like putting your boss on notice.  That will only cause you grief in the long end.

I agree.  I was hesitant to talking to HR because that will just open up a can of worms.  Plus, HR is rarely ever on the side of the employees.

Just take the manager role because they are forcing it on you.

I was thinking that too.  It seems like they really want me in that role.  I declined it 1.5 years ago and they've given me that work anyway and continued to want me to do that type of work.  I don't want to be responsible for or manage other people.  I also don't want to do purchasing/contracts and invoices anymore (I've been doing these things for 1.5 years and I hate it).  I'd rather do my regular job.  But I feel like even though I don't want to do the Manager duties, those duties are forced on me regardless... so might as well just take the title too?  But at the same time, I just really want to keep my head down and be a regular worker.  I guess I'd be OK with being a Manager if things were better here and there is support from upper management, but I already know that there will be no support.  The person that the Manager person in our dept will be reporting to is an a$$.  Also, things are toxic in the upper management circle so I'd rather stay out of it.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 07:15:36 PM »
I wonder why anyone is complaining when they are only being promoted.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 07:35:59 PM »

Some are perfectly happy where they are at and don't want any changes especially if there's no additional compensation to make it worthwhile.

I manage a handful of staff now and I'm happy where I'm at so if a step up promotion with a higher salary is offered to me that also comes with more responsibiliti es (more people to manage, more work, longer hours, etc), I would not take it at the moment.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 08:07:17 PM »
I'm taking an hour lunch now... O0

...and this pile of work...can be worked on tomorrow.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline Prude

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 12:06:02 AM »

People with no aspiration.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 12:05:57 PM »
People with no aspiration.
I would have no aspiration to if I get a promotion w/o the incentives/pay increase.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Advertisements