Advertisement

Author Topic: Some kids I don't even know hated me back in the early 80's because of this  (Read 3771 times)

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
  • Respect: +419
    • View Profile
Re: Some kids I don't even know hated me back in the early 80's because of this
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2019, 08:00:09 PM »
You may want to read that article again. It clearly stated that video game manufacturers put string cutters into the mechanisms in the 80's and that's why the string on a coin does not work.  Are you going to claim that you were playing these video games in the 70s now.

Later in the 1980s, when video game arcade operators realized that people were doing this, manufacturers started putting a string cutter into the coin mechanism

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2019, 08:04:20 PM »
You may want to read that article again. It clearly stated that video game manufacturers put string cutters into the mechanisms in the 80's and that's why the string on a coin does not work.  Are you going to claim that you were playing these video games in the 70s now.

ah ha

but did it say it was place on older games? 

I tell you what game I did it on and you can tell us what year it was. 

Original Street fighter arcade game. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2019, 08:06:01 PM »
Need more testimonial? 

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=91874

also did the tape half the dollar trick and as soon as it goes halfway into the soda slot, you yank it back out fast and you would get a free soda plus 50 cents.   What year was it when soda machine was only 50 cents a pop? 

boy, I'm actually that old. 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2019, 08:25:59 PM »
Well...

Some kid I don't even know today late 2019 hated on me because of this....

:2funny:

;D ;D ;D

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 08:32:39 PM »
Here are some information and link about the two methods I've brought up  ;D:

How to play the arcade machines for free
Posted: November 29, 2010 in Uncategorized
Tags: arcade machines, free, lie, quarters, stealing

Ever go to the arcades and wish you could play for free. Have you ever been caught playing that last level of the Simpsons game and you run out of quarters.  Or your just a cheap bastard like me and hate paying for those guzzling quarter machines.

Here are two ways I’ve been able to defeat these machines and save my petty change. Note: Both ways require you use a arcade machine that takes in quarters and not those token exchange arcade machines.

Method #1  Tie a string to a quarter

Take a quarter and a drill.  Drill a hole into the quarter. Then run a fishline through the hole and tie it.  Go to the arcade machine and put the quarter in. When the game is over is over pull the quater out and play again.

Pros: Cost nothing.  Quarter is reusable.
Cons: Easier to get caught cause you got a fishing line hooked to you. Also, this technique doesnt work on all machines.

Method #2  Make a quarter

Take a bunch of nickels.  Then take a hammer and smash them into the size of a quarter. It takes a little work but I’ve found these nickel quarters to work on all machines that take quarters.

Pros: Works on most machines and has almost no risk of getting caught.
Cons: You gotta spend some time pounding out quarters and you lose 5 cents a play.
And there you have it kids, free play time at the quarter machine. Leave me a comment if you guys got a better way to do this

https://cheatahead.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/how-to-play-the-arcade-machines-for-free/

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 08:38:32 PM »
And here are some info about how they finally caught on and develop a way to stop the stealing as I've also mentioned  ;D:

Characters inserting a tied coin into a coin-operated device and then pulling the coin out with the string to get a free item or service from the machine. However, this trope also extends toward other things.

Later in the 1980s, when video game arcade operators realized that people were doing this, manufacturers started putting a string cutter into the coin mechanism. If you tugged back to try to hit the switch again, the string would cross the cutter and be severed by it, thus capturing the coin and preventing its reuse by the crooked customer. In modern times, coin-operated machines simply have a one-way ratchet, preventing the return of any coin once it has passed the counting mechanism.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CoinOnAStringTrick

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 08:39:35 PM »
LOVE IT when the handful members of the narrow minded ignorant clique think they got me and it just blows in front of their faces... ;D ;D ;D O0

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2019, 08:47:06 PM »
Sometimes when those handful members foam too heavily, they can't even comprehend simple words and sentences so I'll add a few 2D visual aids to see IF it can help them??  ???  ;D:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:28:49 PM by theking »

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 09:00:59 AM »
ah ha

Didn't have to say where it was placed.  I was there in the 80's when the first arcade opened up across the street from my house.  I watched them test it with the door opened.  There was a latch that the coin hits when it goes through to give credit for the quarter.  The latch closes behind the coin so you couldn't pull it back.  Which means anyone who says they were able to use strings to get their quarter back was LYING.

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 09:03:42 AM »
Sometimes when those handful members foam too heavily, they can't even comprehend simple words and sentences so I'll add a few 2D visual aids to see IF it can help them??  ???  ;D:

More lies from THEKING of lies.  holes drilled in those coins were not used for the purpose of getting free credits in arcades.  Every hmong person knows we drill holes in coins so we can string them onto Hmong clothes.  ;D ;D 

So here's the king of lies trying to show pictures of coins with holes in it to convince people that these coins were used to get free credits in arcade machines.  You can't dig yourself out of a hole, bra.  Keep piling on more lies.  It makes you look worst each time. ;D ;D

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 09:30:45 AM »
Didn't have to say where it was placed.  I was there in the 80's when the first arcade opened up across the street from my house.  I watched them test it with the door opened.  There was a latch that the coin hits when it goes through to give credit for the quarter.  The latch closes behind the coin so you couldn't pull it back.  Which means anyone who says they were able to use strings to get their quarter back was LYING.

Not quite accurate.  Base upon my experiences, yes there is something in there that if you put it too deep, it will trap your coin.  Coining for credits is like sex.  You got to know where her zone is to get that credit and when you hit it, you keep it there and wiggle your coin so you can get more credits.  If you lose your quarter, it is still good cuz you gained lots of credits.  Sometimes you can get your credits and get your coin back by pushing the return button inward.  If it is an arcade like no one is watching it like some laundry mat, I would just tape the string onto the arcade machine itself but if it is at a place that has employees present, I would get credit the most sneakiest ways and try to get my quarter back for the win or just loose quarter. 

So for theking sake, it DEPENDS   :2funny:

Offline YAX

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 01:28:00 PM »
ah ha

Street fighter was not very popular (probably late 80's so NO, string on a coin would definitely not work).  It didn't get popular till SF II came out.  Now that was the game to play.  No one knew of Street Fighter but SF II took off and started a whole fighting game genre craze.

Offline lexicon

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +225
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 01:43:05 PM »
Thank God for emulators.

My favorite arcade cabinet was the X-Men Co-Op. And then of course I spent most of my change on Raiden.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 04:41:26 PM »
More lies from THEKING of lies.  holes drilled in those coins were not used for the purpose of getting free credits in arcades.  Every hmong person knows we drill holes in coins so we can string them onto Hmong clothes.  ;D ;D 

So here's the king of lies trying to show pictures of coins with holes in it to convince people that these coins were used to get free credits in arcade machines.  You can't dig yourself out of a hole, bra.  Keep piling on more lies.  It makes you look worst each time. ;D ;D

I see someone is foaming hard this time...No different than Trump and his fellow member of their narrow minded ignorant clique, BNM..Even with proof that people used to use those method to steal arcade credit, the YAK still lies like Trump and make things up like BNM...Yep, same LIAR that cried "ignore" but lie to himself by crawling back because he's worthless like his worthless "lies"...

He even posted this to back up my point that in fact, people were stealing arcade credits with the coin/string and nickel tricks until arcade game operators caught on and then found a way to stop it but what do you expect from an EPIC FAIL that foams heavily by repeating his cycle of EPIC FAILs..and YES, HE DID POST THE BELOW QUOTE BUT STILL FAIL TO REALIZE THAT HE JUST BACKED UP MY POINT... :idiot2:  ;D:

Later in the 1980s, when video game arcade operators realized that people were doing this, manufacturers started putting a string cutter into the coin mechanism

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 04:47:52 PM »
Street fighter was not very popular[/u] (probably late 80's so NO, string on a coin would definitely not work).  It didn't get popular till SF II came out.  Now that was the game to play.  No one knew of Street Fighter but SF II took off and started a whole fighting game genre craze.

RUAM  ;D:

The game was commercially successful in arcades. On the Coinslot charts, printed in the August 1988 issue of Sinclair User, Street Fighter was the top dedicated arcade game.

The arcade version was well received. Tony Thompson of Crash, in its October 1987 issue, said it "breathes new life" into martial arts games, with a "huge" cabinet, "big" characters, pads where "the harder you hit the pads the harder your character hits", and "secret techniques". In its January 1988 issue, Julian Rignall and Daniel Gilbert said "it adds a new dimension with pneumatic punch buttons" and the action is "gratifying" with "great feedback from the buttons" but "there's very little to draw you back" after the novelty wears off. Clare Edgeley of Computer and Video Games, in its December 1987 issue, said it had "huge" sprites, "among the most realistic" characters, and "intense" action, but requires mastering the controls, including punches, kicks, stoop kicks, flip kicks and backward flips. She said "the competition is intense" and the deluxe version "is much more fun. Sinclair User awarded the game a maximum and claiming it was "one of the games of the year", while Computer and Video Games said it had "no lasting appeal whatsoever".

Advertisements