Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong people and over fishing  (Read 6954 times)

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
  • Respect: +524
    • View Profile
Hmong people and over fishing
« on: February 03, 2020, 02:38:06 PM »
I'm sure everyone knows that Hmong people have a bad rep for over fishing and taking more than the limit.  Not all Hmong people take more fish than what they are allowed or keep the fish that they are not supposed to keep but many Hmong people do take more than what's allowable and do keep small-sized fish that they are not supposed to keep.  What do you guys think of this?  It sucks that we are known as the Asians that don't follow DNR rules.  Thoughts?

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline w1s3m0n

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
Re: Hmong people and over fishing
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 02:50:46 PM »
Mekas were thankful Hmong were overfishing white bass.  It gave room for walleyes and other game fish to thrive.

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »
I like to think that us younger generation knows how to follow the rules and regulations as to say our older folks.  I only fish for fun.  So, catch and release only.......wel l, except one.  That one is on my wall right now. 

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 04:22:03 PM »
I'm sure everyone knows that Hmong people have a bad rep for over fishing and taking more than the limit.  Not all Hmong people take more fish than what they are allowed or keep the fish that they are not supposed to keep but many Hmong people do take more than what's allowable and do keep small-sized fish that they are not supposed to keep.  What do you guys think of this?  It sucks that we are known as the Asians that don't follow DNR rules.  Thoughts?

Other Asians do it too so we're not the only ones but the first time offenders that truly doesn't know the laws are not as bad as the ones that know but chose to lie, cheat and steal like the FRAUDs that they are IMO...

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 05:20:09 PM »
I ask you something.  Can you give up eating hmong pepper and doing what is hmong?

The answer is that us asian that are not westernized or following the ethics of the white man, will find it unconformable with fishing and throwing it back.   It takes a great deal of synergy involved when it comes to fishing.  Lots of time and money are being invested into the art of fishing, just to throw back your catch of the day? 

Conservation is something that is not common to the southeast asian folks.  Why?  Well there is not yet an outbreak with a declining of a fish species that measures need to step in to help a dying population.  The nets are getting bigger and the catches are getting smaller are the common in southeast asia. 

Here in california, there is a law that it is unlawfully to waste of food or your catch.  There are invasive species and until the law is allowing us fisherman to thin out the herd, we just can not do it.  Like when I was fishing with my uncle in mn at bass lake, I caught a catfish.  I wanted to release it but my uncle be like, there goes a trashcan, throw it in there.  Help thinning out the population of nasty fish so that your catches can be more healthier. 

We also have a no limit catch, no size limit on some of our species.  While it is legal to catch and take all, you may store it inside of your big freezer.  You can hoard it if you want to but if you are not eating it and have a big stock pile of it upon game wardens' inspection, you will be fine for something.

Remember that if something is legal may not necessary be ethical.  Like having a lot of gf.    :2funny:

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 05:50:01 PM »
I ask you something.  Can you give up eating hmong pepper and doing what is hmong?

The answer is that us asian that are not westernized or following the ethics of the white man, will find it unconformable with fishing and throwing it back.   It takes a great deal of synergy involved when it comes to fishing.  Lots of time and money are being invested into the art of fishing, just to throw back your catch of the day? 

Conservation is something that is not common to the southeast asian folks.  Why?  Well there is not yet an outbreak with a declining of a fish species that measures need to step in to help a dying population.  The nets are getting bigger and the catches are getting smaller are the common in southeast asia. 

Here in california, there is a law that it is unlawfully to waste of food or your catch.  There are invasive species and until the law is allowing us fisherman to thin out the herd, we just can not do it.  Like when I was fishing with my uncle in mn at bass lake, I caught a catfish.  I wanted to release it but my uncle be like, there goes a trashcan, throw it in there.  Help thinning out the population of nasty fish so that your catches can be more healthier. 

We also have a no limit catch, no size limit on some of our species.  While it is legal to catch and take all, you may store it inside of your big freezer.  You can hoard it if you want to but if you are not eating it and have a big stock pile of it upon game wardens' inspection, you will be fine for something.

Remember that if something is legal may not necessary be ethical.  Like having a lot of gf.    :2funny:

What the!  What does having a lot of gfs have anything to do with over fishing?  :P  And having a lot of gfs is illegal so don't do it!   ;D  It's also not ethical.   :P :P :2funny:

Offline azn-guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 06:01:08 PM »
SLAY THEM ALL  :D

Like this post: +1

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 06:12:05 PM »

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 06:20:47 PM »
What the!  What does having a lot of gfs have anything to do with over fishing?  :P  And having a lot of gfs is illegal so don't do it!   ;D  It's also not ethical.   :P :P :2funny:

Show me the rule book of having a lot of gf is a crime. 

Marrying more than 1 is a crime in most states.   We are free to date and get as many gf as we want.  Why?  Cuz we just don't trust you women.  I date you but you are dating 5 other guys for 5 different meal days of the week.  I know you women until I give up.   :2funny:

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 06:21:54 PM »
Not true, Lily. Hmong hunters and anglers have become some of the most law-abiding outdoors people around. I've been afraid to do any wrong in front of them.

How did I do on this one?

So, one time I bought a conservation fishing license. That allowed me to take only half of every species a regular license would allow. So, five crappies per day instead of 10 per day in Minnesota. Then a friend suggested we go to Marsh Lake in Appleton, MN where there were lots of large crappies (10"+ sizes). So, I quickly went online and purchased a regular fishing license on top of that conservation license.  It was online, so I could not get a copy right away. Plus, I bought it via my phone. No way to print a copy.

But I went fishing anyway.

At the lake that morning around 10 a.m. when crappies were biting so hard, my friend and I got a total of 17. Two conservation officers came and started counting our fish without looking at the licenses. They said if there were two of us using the same bucket for fish, we were okay, that we were below the limit even.

Then they checked our licenses and saw that mine was a conservation only. "Now, that's over the limit," one said to the other.

There were a lot of people on the same dock; they were all listening and looking at me.

I told him I had replaced the conservation license with a regular license just before coming to the lake. He called the headquarter with my ID and found that, indeed, I did have two fishing licenses.

So, he said I was okay and that I should call the headquarter and get my refund for the conservation license fee.

"I could get three more?" I asked.

"Yes," said the leading officer.

Like this post: +1
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 06:26:46 PM »
Open your eyes to the world, Lily. We Hmong aren't the only ones with a southern survival mentality.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 06:28:49 PM »
Show me the rule book of having a lot of gf is a crime. 

Marrying more than 1 is a crime in most states.   We are free to date and get as many gf as we want.  Why?  Cuz we just don't trust you women.  I date you but you are dating 5 other guys for 5 different meal days of the week.  I know you women until I give up.   :2funny:

Oh, it's a crime!  It's a crime of trust!  Yup!  LMAO!  ;D  And, you men were the first to break our trust.  :knuppel2:  Dating 5 guys is karma, baby!  Just kidding.  :P  But yeah, use your intuition to get a good one and just stick to one girlfriend and one boyfriend.  Aint no one has that much time to volley back and forth between all the people.  How exhausting!

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 06:36:12 PM »
Open your eyes to the world, Lily. We Hmong aren't the only ones with a southern survival mentality.

Yeah, some rednecks in the south are savage af.  So, to say that only Hmong people be acting all cavemen... that's not fair.  But to be fair, stigmas stay around for a long time... back in the day we didn't always follow regulations because back in Laos we had no regulations to follow... but yea, more and more of us are against over fishing now and more for conservation.. . so people need to stop stereotyping us Hmong as over fishing people.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 06:51:13 PM »
Oh, it's a crime!  It's a crime of trust!  Yup!  LMAO!  ;D  And, you men were the first to break our trust.  :knuppel2:  Dating 5 guys is karma, baby!  Just kidding.  :P  But yeah, use your intuition to get a good one and just stick to one girlfriend and one boyfriend.  Aint no one has that much time to volley back and forth between all the people.  How exhausting!

Yes mommy, I will try   :2funny:

Offline lilly

• Sr. Poster
  • Be happy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 07:01:51 PM »
Yes mommy, I will try   :2funny:

That's a good boy!  :-*