Advertisement

Author Topic: Bruce Lee: A Life by Matthew Polly  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Chark

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Bruce Lee: A Life by Matthew Polly
« on: March 23, 2020, 01:22:29 PM »
Bruce Lee: A Life, written by reknown Martial Arts writer Matthew Polly, is probably the first in-depth, near academic level study of Bruce Lee's life.  The book starts with Bruce's mother and father, how they meet, got together, to starting a family.  Then we immediately hop into Bruce's life afterwards!  From his childhood, to his manic teen years, to his travels to the US, to his struggle as an actor, to Bruce teaching Hollywood actors, to his first big hit in HK, to his death!  If you're a Bruce Lee fan, this is THE Bruce Lee book you have to possess!

Face it, I'm sure many of us idolize Bruce Lee as a child.  Why shouldn't we?  The man was strong, tough, and reeked of Asian Masculinity!  For decades, Lee was the only Asian Male movie star that broke into Hollywood.  Before Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Sammo Hung, Steven Chow, and Chow Yun-Fat, Bruce Lee started to pave the road to Asian cinematic success in the west (for better or for worse - but that's another topic).  To give you a taste of what the books talk about, here's some quick summaries: Lee cheated on Linda.  Lee had some of his sweat glands surgically remove, which (according to the book) helped cause his untimely death.

If you want to know more, you need to read the book!

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline rafe

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Re: Bruce Lee: A Life by Matthew Polly
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 11:12:02 PM »
Okay, just one question. Why did he remove his sweat glands?

Offline Chark

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 01:28:07 PM »
I could tell you, but I'd rather you support the people who went through years of research to dig out and put down all those details into a book.  I suggest you pick up the book and give it a try.  It's a really good read!

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:43:20 PM »
I'm curious where this boy is nowadays. Not related to Bruce Lee's family but in Bruce's movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5o8d1kitM

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline rafe

• PH Newbie
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 07:33:09 PM »
I could tell you, but I'd rather you support the people who went through years of research to dig out and put down all those details into a book.  I suggest you pick up the book and give it a try.  It's a really good read!

I googled it. Thanks!

Online Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +363
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 01:30:09 AM »
I'm curious where this boy is nowadays. Not related to Bruce Lee's family but in Bruce's movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5o8d1kitM

Nobody knows. He probably got a nice life after he cross the rainbow when Bruce advise him never ignore the finger.  ;D

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 09:05:28 AM »
I asked Bruce's daughter Shannon Lee this question, too, and she does not seem to know.

You could be right. He never misses the Heavenly glories again. ;D ;D

Nobody knows. He probably got a nice life after he cross the rainbow when Bruce advise him never ignore the finger.  ;D

"...

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 09:06:50 AM »
Do you think Bruce had an affair with Nora Miao, too--the lady star of "Return of the Dragon"? I wonder if they had any kid out of that.

Bruce Lee: A Life, written by reknown Martial Arts writer Matthew Polly, is probably the first in-depth, near academic level study of Bruce Lee's life.  The book starts with Bruce's mother and father, how they meet, got together, to starting a family.  Then we immediately hop into Bruce's life afterwards!  From his childhood, to his manic teen years, to his travels to the US, to his struggle as an actor, to Bruce teaching Hollywood actors, to his first big hit in HK, to his death!  If you're a Bruce Lee fan, this is THE Bruce Lee book you have to possess!

Face it, I'm sure many of us idolize Bruce Lee as a child.  Why shouldn't we?  The man was strong, tough, and reeked of Asian Masculinity!  For decades, Lee was the only Asian Male movie star that broke into Hollywood.  Before Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Sammo Hung, Steven Chow, and Chow Yun-Fat, Bruce Lee started to pave the road to Asian cinematic success in the west (for better or for worse - but that's another topic).  To give you a taste of what the books talk about, here's some quick summaries: Lee cheated on Linda.  Lee had some of his sweat glands surgically remove, which (according to the book) helped cause his untimely death.

If you want to know more, you need to read the book!

"...

Online Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 06:50:45 AM »
I asked Bruce's daughter Shannon Lee this question, too, and she does not seem to know.

You could be right. He never misses the Heavenly glories again. ;D ;D

:2funny:

Online Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 06:56:30 AM »
Do you think Bruce had an affair with Nora Miao, too--the lady star of "Return of the Dragon"? I wonder if they had any kid out of that.

Naw, I think he doesn't have deep intimacy with Nora Miao as Bruce had with his wife Eliza. Beside Bruce and Eliza did the religious wedding at private church with no guests.

Advertisements