Advertisement

Author Topic: The little girl's cousin now starts her journey  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • 31-day months: Odds: 1,3,5,7: Even: 8, 10,12.
  • Respect: +504
    • View Profile
Re: The little girl's cousin now starts her journey
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2021, 09:53:29 AM »
Too much exposure can exhaust someone. And this has been true of Cousins 2 and 3.

This summer's Covid effect has made their parents work from home. The two cousins have been
staying home with no summer school, too.

As soon as autumn was about to kick in, their parents found a way to bring them to me, saying they new work orientation for a week.

The two cousins came yesterday and would be coming each day for that entire week.

When it was time to return home, they wanted to stay longer. They wanted to do more activities with me.

"It's night and you can come back tomorrow," I told them as I was driving them back to their house, which they called "mommy and daddy's house."

Neither wanted to get out of the car. They just sat in their car seats when I opened the door to them at their driveway.

"Both mommy and daddy are home," I told them.

They had to get out. But Cousin 2 left her windbreaker in the back and rushed the door. Then she said she had to get her jacket first, before going inside.

This morning, they knocked on my door so early when their mom brought them at 7:00 a.m. We're playing volleyball, blowing animal calls--even the crow call and squirrel call--and doing puzzles on cereal boxes.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2021, 10:51:54 AM by Reporter »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2021, 10:25:13 AM »
Little Girl (aka Big Girl now) has oddly become so obsessed with a fishing pole that she screamed her heart out when Cousin 2 accidentally lost the toy fishing pole that was attached to a doll Big Girl brought to visit me against her mother's advice.

Apparently, something happened at home when I was away. By the time I had returned, all the girls--including the pointing Cousin 4--all were sitting on the living room sofa looking overwhelmed.

Big Girl has brought her new toys over and shared one with Cousin 2--when they were still excited to play together and happy with each other's company. But when they discovered that the little fishing pole on the doll Big Girl had lent to Cousin 2 had disappeared, arguments came about.

(Of course, Cousins 3 and 4 didn't care. They had their own little missions around the house.)

Then Cousin 2 didn't seem concerned about losing just tiny tooth-pick-sized fishing pole on the doll that Big Girl lent to Cousin 2 for play for just a time today.

"If I had lost your doggy toy, you would not be happy and would be so sad about it, too. That fishing pole is just as important to me as your tiny doggy toy is to you," Big Girl said.

"I didn't mean to; it was just an accident. By the time I got inside, it was already gone," said Cousin 2.

Big Girl's mother said they had been looking all over the porch but she has told them she knew I would find it for them.

I took a look at the toy box to see what the fishing looked like and what size. Ivory-ish beige with a white threat as line and a tiny black plastic hook at the line tip. This was the kind that would be hard to find in a hay stack or anywhere at all, since beige blended in well with almost anything outside now.

"It looks just like that picture," Big Girl said to me.

I asked where Cousin 2 was when she found out that the pole was gone.  Cousin 2 said she was by the porch table. Big Girl felt they learned of that when they were inside the house already. But Cousin 2 insisted that she already saw it missing outside.

I first looked around the living room where all the little girls were playing.

Couldn't find anything.

Outside through the entire porch on the surface found nothing also.

Then I realized there were openings on the porch floor, which suggested to me that the fishing pole might have slipped through them.

Their arguments continued between Big Girl and Cousin 2. Blames and "I wish I  hadn't given it to you" resulted.

After 30 minutes of searching the porch and underneath it, I saw a white threat on the decorative pebbled on our outside floor under the porch. I bent it to look closer and saw it there was a tiny
ivory plastic tooth-pick-sized stick wrapped by the threat. I grabbed it with two fingers and brought it back up to the living room.

By this time, Cousins 2, 3, and 4 all have already been picked up by their respective daddies.

Big Girl smiled and screamed "Hurray! Where did you find it?"

She gave me two big thank-yous. Then she told her mother about it and her mother asked, "What do you say to Reporter?"

Another thank-you was uttered.

"Maybe it would have been better not to have brought it like I told you," her mother said.

Big Girl didn't say a thing.

I said I agreed.

When Cousin 2 later called me, she said she was already told by Big Girl that the fishing pole has been found and that they have apologized to each other, I told her, "Don't do this too many times. I can't always find them for you."

This wasn't the first time Cousin 2 has lost an item they love. She just lost a tiny toy arm the other and I had to move our sofas and searched all over the living room to get it back.

She chuckled.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:14:47 AM by Reporter »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2021, 12:11:54 PM »
Cousin 3's mom has been dropping her off to me last week and continues to do so this week.

That's because Cousin 3 isn't going to school this week yet but next week.  Both of her parents are working, so there's no one babysitting her. Of course, Cousin 3 just goes to work with me; while I work, she plays in my office.

I decided to talk to her about this specific topic: her schooling.

"Why don't you go to school yet?" I asked.

No response. She just looked at me.

We know she was already in Pre-K last year.

I rephrased my question. "What grade are you going to be in next week?"

"Kindergarten," she said.

"How old are you?" I asked.

"Five."

"Wow! Then next year you're going to first grade, huh?"

She grimaced and didn't know how to respond.

I realized she didn't know what "first" meant. She knows counting numbers but not when phrased in sequential order like first, second, third, etc.

"You'll be in grade one next year then?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Then grade two the year after that, right?"

She seemed unsure.

"Grade three, grade four, grade five and each year one more grade after that until you are done with twelve," I said.

"By then you'll be seventeen years old," I said. "That's because five plus twelve is seventeen, right?"

"Yeah," she said. She knows how to add.

"You'll be big and all already," I said.

"Yeah. I guess so," she said.

"Then four more years in college," I said.

She didn't know what that was. So, I told her it's something after the twelve years.

"And you can do more if you want to, and you should, but it's not too much more after that," I said.

She just looked at me but didn't seem confused.

"Here's your bag. Apples," she said.

She handed my lunch.

"I have apples, too," she said. "Mommy gives us both apples."

Actually, mommy packed her some bacons and white rice, but I cut up the bacons into 1-inch pieces and gave her just two pieces for breakfast. She wanted the crunchy pieces. I packed the apples for us and put them on the kitchen table when she was still blowing my squirrel call in the living room.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 12:14:29 PM by Reporter »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2021, 12:13:33 PM »
Last week, Big Girl's mom--auntie to Cousin 4--got her shock when she tried to put Cousin 4 on timeout.

"Eee! Eee! Eee!" Cousin 4 pointed to her and insisted on not being pressured into timeout.

Big Girl's mom turned all red and said she didn't want to ever discipline Cousin 4 again.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2021, 02:18:04 PM »
Cousin 3's mom dropped her off so early this morning I had not even gotten up yet.

But she remained totally silent in the living room while waiting for me to get up 30 minutes later.

By that time, her mom has already laid out her lunch package on the kitchen table and left for work. This time we got steamed sticky rice and seaweed wrappers. No bacons.

When Cousin 3 told me she saw the mov mom inside the seaweeds, I said that was true because the rice was inside the wrapper.

"What's a wrapper?" she asked.

"That's the seaweeds you use to wrap around the rice. When something wraps around something, you call that wrapping thing a wrapper. You know, like what you are doing: you put it around the rice like that. That's wrapping."

I changed the subject to talk about what she and Cousin 4 were doing yesterday and if she was playing with Cousin 4.

"I played with her toys and she chased me around," Cousin 3 said. "She drank yucky water. And uncle came and stopped her."

"Next time you stop her, okay?" I said.

"Okay."

"My mommy said when I was young, I drank yucky water, too," she said.

"You did?"

"My mommy says I did," she said.

"What else did you and 'baby' do?" I asked.

"We played on the swing in the backyard. Can I go back there?"

"Yes," I said. "You can go there so she can play with you, okay?"

She was all silent. No words but looking at the stairways.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 11:50:57 PM by Reporter »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2021, 11:54:11 PM »
Cousin 3 came for a brief visit today and to pick up a dog toy she had left behind.

She followed me to my recreational room and saw a ceramic chicken figure on my wall.

"Is that a rooster?" she asked.

"Yes, it is."

"Is he a boy?" she asked.

"Yes. A rooster is a boy chicken," I said. "A girl chicken is called a hen."

"A hen?"

"Yes. Let me show you some pictures of hens so you know," I said.

I searched Google on my phone and found some photos of hens.

"That one has some chicks with it," she said.

"Right. Those are babies."

"I know. And they are in a garden," she said.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2021, 06:03:46 PM »
Big Girl's little 3-month-old sister has started to twist and turn and is able to raise her head almost straight up, even though she can't completely roll herself over yet.

She fits right inside my palms and I hold her up like a large squash in my hands.

Can't talk. Can't even giggle.

But she has managed to chuckle and smile when I hold her up and shake her side-to-side.

Can't teach her everything yet. When I say "koj tuaj lod?", she only looks at me with a tiny smile.

But I didn't know she already knows how to nag: the other day, I set her in a seating position on the sofa and I walked away, because I knew she wouldn't be strong enough to rock herself into falling off; yet she cried for me. When I picked her up and raised her into the air and walked her around to look at the new world in my living room, she quieted down and smiled again.

This morning, her mom brought her back to me. I was getting breakfast and had to lay her down on the corner of the sofa while getting my cereals. She cried again. I picked her up and she quieted down again with a smile.

Wait till she knows how to demand in words!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 06:07:05 PM by Reporter »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2021, 05:45:35 AM »
Cousin 3 visited again with her mother.

"I want to be a policewoman when I grow up," she said.

"I want to be a firewoman, too," she said.

"Those are good careers," I told her.

"Don't you want to be an astronaut also?" her mother said.

"I want to be them all."

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2021, 12:53:19 PM »
Cousin 4 has gotten the right attitude, but she's a bit adorably annoying. So, she would pick up my pens and papers each time she's here. But besides marking the blank papers, she marks and creates chao on other things and places around the house.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2021, 01:50:06 PM »
Big Girl's little sister cries so much when she's with me, I can't tell her anything. I keep thinking that she needs to calm down and stop voicing her opinion so much at this age. Just a few months old, she is. If she insists on me hearing her out only and won't ingest anything from me, she won't learn anything.

I don't need to learn anything more from her. Her constant cries mean just one thing--all those wah-wah-wahs: "I need just my mommy!" I don't need her to repeat that.

Somehow this infant is just not pacifyable like the other children. I can't say she has learned irresponsible manners from anyone, since she was just born three months ago.

Of course, I do realize she's struggling hard to make her only point. Her cries have turned into sniffles. Her body gets tense each time she screams.

I'm stranger to her. Which infant would feel completely safe or even just a bit safe with a total stranger? If I had just
been on Earth or a new planet for only three months and a new voice keeps talking to me in words I don't understand, I'd be just as frightened.

But it appears her father, too, seems a stranger to her. So does everyone else but her mommy.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 03:04:58 PM by Reporter »

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2021, 12:56:24 PM »
I can give Big Girl any drawing pad or paper and she will draw something on it. Over the last few years, her drawings have changed. But her interest has not. Give her a piece of paper and she draws something on it. Whatever size paper doesn't matter.

This is what she has drawn of her little sister while looking at the little sister when the little one was asleep.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2021, 12:11:21 PM »
Cousin 4 and I went to the apple orchard yesterday and she helped pick four apples into our purchased bag. She then ate a fifth one on the farm.

But she seemed more into the animals than the pumpkins and apples. Seven white geese probably reminded her of a video she has been watching to count and the spotted calves and a cat took away her attention. Each time she walked by an animal, she would sit down on the floor next to it and say "ah!" and then waived both hands as to say "hi."

At one time, she even almost disappeared from my sight as I was talking to the cashier about some fresh eggs.

Her fingers cold, Cousin 4 licked them and slipped her hands into her pockets. But she didn't stop running around the farm.

The minute we got home, it was already dark. I lifted her up from the car seat and started walking the stairways to her house. "Up!" she said. "Up!"

Yes, we were going up. But  I turned back a few steps and she didn't know how to say "Down! Down!"

Her parents got a lot of photos of her for their Facebook pages.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »
Cousin 4 had such a great time that she slept so well into the night and late into the morning. This has pleased his parents so much.

But I don't have the time to take her back to an orchard. Maybe next year.

Cousins 2 and 3 are a bit jealous but tried to be understanding. "We know we were with our grandma in Wisconsin," said Cousin 2.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2021, 04:55:55 AM »
My visit to Cousins 2 and 3 was full of just conversations between Cousin 3 and me.

The second her mother opened the door for me, Cousin 3 greeted me with "Hi, Reporter."

Nothing more was said. So, I told her I had some chicken hearts for her and Cousin 2 and whether they would like to have their mom warm those up for them right now. I knew especially that Cousin 2 loved chicken hearts.

They both just looked at me. Cousin 2 was doing her homework on the kitchen table. "Um... We just ate," she said.

When Cousin 4 didn't say anything more, I realized I should just take them back.

"Yeah. You can bring some next time," said their mother.

Cousin 3 ran behind a counter and into an alley on the first floor, coming back with a tiny plush animal that looked like a penguin to me.

"She's a toucan bird," said Cousin 3. "And I like her. She has a rainbow beak. She's soft. I bought her when mommy took me to the store when I was three."

"Oh, you remember that?" I said.

"Yes. Only mommy and my sister were there.My daddy didn't go."

I was going to ask if her sister got anything, too. But Cousin 3 went on with another toy.

She opened up the top cabinet in the living room and pulled out a glowing, sitting rabbit toy.

"It's a bunny," she said. "It lights up when you press its belly."

"Yeah, it glows," I said.

She tapped on it and it went off. She tapped on it once more and its color changed.

"Wow!" I said. "It can do that?

"Yeah. Now it's ivory. (Tapping on it again.) Now it's white," she said.

"You can use it as a light, huh? Does it run out of battery?"

"When  it goes tzzz...tzzz... tzzz...we put...we charge it...and it has more battery."

Advertisements