Advertisement

Author Topic: So a bunch of Hmong clansmen harassed three Indian, Chinese and Hmong women  (Read 1152 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
 ???:

Mayor Steve Ly's associates accused of harassment

Elk Grove School Trustee Bobbie Singh-Allen is among three local women who allege that they were harassed by associates or supporters of Elk Grove Mayor Steve Ly.

Ly, who is serving in his second term as mayor, became the first Hmong mayor in the United States when he was first elected to that position in 2016.

...“Days following the appointment, Steve Ly and his (Hmong) clansmen came after me,” she wrote. “They contacted the district to find out how to contest the appointment and petition to have it overturned.”

...Singh-Allen made her allegation against Ly public through her personal Facebook page on July 3, after she read a June 29 op-ed by Linda Vue, Ly’s former, 2016 campaign manager, on the online news site, Elk Grove Tribune.

In that piece, Vue claimed that after she expressed criticism of the mayor through her public Facebook posts, she was harassed by Ly through his associates who are part of the Hmong clan system.

Vue, who is Hmong, noted that a Hmong clan is a family, social structure that is “called upon from time to time to act as a communal court to settle various community and family issues.” There are 18 such family clans in Hmong society.

“It is a failed system that has been heavily criticized for its role in gender-based violence in the Hmong community and Ly used that to his advantage,” she stated.

...After posting Vue’s op-ed, Dr. Jacqueline “Jax” Cheung, owner and editor-in-chief of the Tribune, said that she received telephone threats against her family from strangers.

Cheung said that she has twice been harassed since running Vue’s op-ed in the Tribune. She also told the Citizen that she was threatened during the first call after refusing to remove Vue’s op-ed.

“(The caller said), ‘If you don’t (remove it, expletive) is going to go down with you and your daughter,’” she said. “And I said, ‘Is that a threat?’ He said, ‘It’s a fact.’ And I said, ‘OK, we’re done here. I will be reporting this to the police.’”

Jason Jimenez, public information officer of the Elk Grove Police Department, confirmed that the police report was filed.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
I think this whole thing has blown out of proportion..   In my opinion, Steve Ly is doing the right thing by going to the clan to get this resolved.

In our Hmong culture, if a hmong spreads false rumor or assumed false rumor, the clan system gets involved...We are a people and we need to resolve our our issues as much as possible before running off to Mekas.  If you have family issues, you don't run off to other people.. you start w/ your family and then if that doesn't work, you get others (mekas, police, the court, etc..) invoved..  If run off to others for every little thing, we become whiners,looked down by others.  Things we can resolved on our own, we should. 

The clan system is very uniquely ours..   The same goes some of our others cultures, traditions, etc...  If we keep taking it away...tearing down, pretty soon, we are left with nothing.  Before we start criticizing, breaking apart, tearing down our own cultures, traditions, etc..know what you're doing and why.

To be honest, I don't think this young lady (Hmong) and the non-hmong involved have an idea about this clan system other than seeing as "harassment."

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 09:20:41 AM by Dok_Champa »

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
Oh,.....ooooOOoookaaay.  In other news, GOOD MORNING TO Y'ALL FINE FOLKS OF PH.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
Oh,.....ooooOOoookaaay.  In other news, GOOD MORNING TO Y'ALL FINE FOLKS OF PH.
Good morning to u too.  I plan to visit you today for my car's brakes.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Mr_Mechanic

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +338
    • View Profile
Good morning to u too.  I plan to visit you today for my car's brakes.
O0

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
And here goes the hidden agenda  ;D:

"Election 2020: Singh-Allen to challenge Ly in mayoral race"

http://www.egcitizen.com/news/election-2020-singh-allen-to-challenge-ly-in-mayoral-race/article_de851e32-d368-11ea-ae2d-7b2afad0cce6.html

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
I see....

Offline nightrider

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
Just dirty political attacks and smears.... Nothing new. If people can't handle that, stay out of politics.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
I don't see many politicians who are focused on the real issues but just at putting each other down. The more surprising thing is people actually vote for such politicians.

Just dirty political attacks and smears.... Nothing new. If people can't handle that, stay out of politics.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Alrighty, round two?  ???:

"Elk Grove City Council voted 4-0 to ask grand jury to investigate mayor Ly ... Ly was elected in 2016 as the first mayor of Hmong descent in the country and is up for reelection in November. A number of women have accused Ly of orchestrating attacks on social media against them, a claim the mayor has denied."

Bobbie Singh and Linda Vue vs. Steve Ly:

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 04:29:49 PM by theking »

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile

Advertisements