Advertisement

Author Topic: 30 years of loyalty, Congrats Dead Man and wish you the best! So fitting at SS!  (Read 302 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
'I wish I could do it forever': The Undertaker prepares his WWE farewell

Undertaker Farewell, Including Programming, Mattel Action Figure

Thirty years ago, a 25-year-old Mark Calaway was in the midst of a somewhat normal career change as a professional wrestler. Calaway, who had just finished a run with World Championship Wrestling as “Mean Mark Callous,” had been let go by Ted Turner’s promotion and was getting set to debut in Vince McMahon’s WWF.

Calaway’s debut came on Nov. 22, 1990, at “Survivor Series,” and what transpired over the next three decades not only cemented his legacy in professional wrestling, but also helped turned WWE into the standard-bearer for an entire industry.

“I don’t think in our industry, these kinds of careers don’t happen often,” Calaway told Yahoo Sports. “It was kind of hard to imagine going for 30 straight years with one company. You don’t envision that when you first start out. You hope you can catch on a little bit, have a run, build momentum where if you have to go somewhere else, like Japan or another promotion you are in good shape. I never planned on going back to WCW once I got to WWE, but I knew Japan and other places, I could have built a strong name and maybe go back and forth.”

Calaway would never have to worry about going back and forth between any companies for the next 30 years, as his Undertaker character would catch on immediately with fans, creating something of a Sam Bowie moment for Turner and WCW.

Just a year later, at the very same event Calaway debuted at, the 6-foot-10 wrestler found himself in the ring with Hulk Hogan, the WWF world champion and arguably the most influential figure the industry had seen until that point.

To top it all off, Calaway wasn’t simply going to be wrestling Hogan, he was going to be going over and winning the top title in the company, too.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
In only his second year with the company, he already beat Hulk Hogan in his prime for the championship belt so the company already knew there are great things to come with the Undertaker early on..:

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Don't think we'll see another streak like that again and even when it was broken, fans booed the winner and gave the loser a standing ovation  ;D:

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
And looks the Deadman will continue to get royalty fee after he retires with this collab with Snoop Dogg  ???:

"Undertaker Debuts Snoop Dogg Merch Collab"

Advertisements