Advertisement

Author Topic: At $167m/yr, his salary makes Patrick Myhomies' salary looks like child's play  (Read 406 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
 ???:

Lionel Messi's Barcelona contract got leaked, and it's bigger than Patrick Mahomes's $500 million deal

Over the course of Lionel Messi’s illustrious career, it was always a given that the FC Barcelona star was well-compensated for his talents.

There has never been a better time to be quite possibly the greatest player in history on one of the world’s richest clubs. You could assume Messi was paid along the lines of the world’s top athletes, like Patrick Mahomes, LeBron James and Mike Trout.

Thanks to a leak via Spanish newspaper El Mundo, we now know you would be wrong to assume that. Very wrong.

In reality, Messi’s reported income blows every known athlete salary out of the water, even the half-billion dollar contract Mahomes received last year and was widely reported to be a record in the sports industry.

Here are the numbers of the contract Messi signed back in 2017, via Italian reporter Fabrizio Romano: €555,237,619 over four years, with an annual salary of €138 million including variables, a €115 million “renewal fee” and a €77 million loyalty bonus.

With five months left on the deal, Messi will have already earned €511 million.

Those numbers translate out to $674 million for the entire contract, $167 million per year, $139 million renewal fee and a $94.6 million loyalty bonus in 2020 dollars.

Compare that to Mahomes’ 10-year, $503 million deal (in reality a $450 million deal due to some creative accounting) or Mike Trout’s 12-year, $420 million contract, and you’ll see that the highest reaches of European soccer blow away American sports salaries.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Well leg ball has more universal fan base unlike the NFL where if they were to play in lets say Brazil, they'll be scratching their head to how many points would it be if someone kick that ball through the goal post.   :2funny:

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
He is Messi and it’s  Barca, they’re known to buy top players.

I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.
I take refuge in the sangha.

Theravada

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Barcelona denies responsibility for leak after report reveals Lionel Messi's record $672 million contract
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/football/lionel-messi-barcelona-contract-spt-intl/index.html

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Advertisements