Advertisement

Author Topic: Any of you women tried it? What was your experience, benefits, worth it or not?  (Read 101 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
..J/W... ???:

Jada Pinkett Smith tries vaginal steaming on 'Red Table Talk.’ Here’s why experts don’t recommend it.

Every few years, the ancient practice of vaginal steaming gets the celebrity treatment. The glorification began in 2015 when wellness-guru Gwyneth Paltrow extolled the benefits of a "v-steam," telling Goop.com readers: "You sit on what is essentially a mini-throne, and a combination of infrared and mugwort steam cleanses your uterus." Three years later, Chrissy Teigen shared a photo of her mid-v-steam on Instagram, quipping: "I don’t know if any of this works but it can’t hurt right? *vagina dissolves*."

This week, the three hosts of Red Table Talk — Jada Pinkett Smith, Willow Smith and Adrienne Banfield-Norris — took the practice for a spin (or more accurately, a squat). In the episode, which aired Wednesday, all three women can be seen lowering themselves onto a bowl of steam while wearing silk purple dresses. "What sensation are you guys getting sitting here?” Jada asked her daughter and mom. "Definitely a lot of warmth," Willow replied. “Yeah. This is real queen throne action right here. This is what I love," Jada added.

The women discuss the need for women to spend more time connecting with their own bodies. "This is lovely," said Jada. "They say there's lots of health benefits, but for me, I just feel like spending time with your vagina in a way that, like, just to just show it appreciation and care.” They also touch on how vaginal steaming — which Harvard defines as "when a woman sits over a bowl of steaming herb-infused water" — is technically an "ancient practice that originated in Asia and Africa" and that it "was originally used to cleanse yourself after you finish menstruating."

Dr. Sherry Ross, an ob-gyn and author of She-ology: The Definitive Guide to Women's Intimate Health. Period confirms that the ritual is nothing new. "Mayan women and traditional healers have done vaginal steaming for centuries," Ross tells Yahoo Life. The original purpose of the vaginal steam, she believes, was a worthy one. "It's basically steaming of the vulva, the outer genital area," says Ross. "It cleans the hair follicles, and opens up the sweat glands just like you'd do on your face."

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements