Advertisement

Author Topic: New fishing reel  (Read 4211 times)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
New fishing reel
« on: August 25, 2021, 04:18:48 PM »
Gosh I tell myself I have no need for it.  However with just a few mouse clicks, I went a ordered a new reel.  D'uh D'oh D'ang.  I guess all that time not fishing, means I'll just spin the reel at home for no apparent reason.  Just to have it.  Shimano shenanigans.  Twin power wins.

And to date, since my Curado BFS reel finally got delivered about a month ago, I still haven't even put line on that reel.

Like this post: 0
The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Adverstisement

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
Re: New fishing reel
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 05:12:53 PM »
I spooled up some YGK Soul upgrade X-8 line 14# box listed onto the Curado BFS reel.  Mounted the reel on the Phenix Ultra MBX 6'6" Light power rod.  Did some backyard casting just lightly casting only and was getting roughly about 20-25 handle cranks of distance on 1/8th oz bullet weight.  So that probably puts it at about 40-50 feet of distance.  Not too shabby, that's far enough to get to where most fish will bite on the water.

This is really gonna be my ice fishing reel going into winter.  The only thing that I really don't like is how there's a different paint job on the BFS reel on the front guard.  It's black while the rest of the reel is a matted greyish black.  Why they couldn't get the same paint color scheme, no idea.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 06:56:59 PM »
My Loomis rod and Shimano reel are waiting for a good spot to catch any kind of fish. But I haven't been able to get out there at all. I've gone out only twice this entire spring to summer.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 06:06:05 PM »
I also barely went out to fish.  A few times in the early spring, then the river water level rose super high and I couldn't shore fish.  Then when summer came around the water was super low and didn't catch any fish there.  I didn't want to drive far out, since covid and crazy curfew times.

It's a bit easier to ice fish, but I still prefer to not park and then walk out to ice fish.  If I can drive onto the lake, it's far easier.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 12:30:21 PM »
I worry about my truck when it's on the icy lake. Those thundering sounds make me think the surface could crash any time.

We'll see if I dare to ice-fish this year. The weather has started to be despecably cold since Sunday. Great snow is forthcoming for sure.

"...

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 01:19:29 PM »
I worry about my truck when it's on the icy lake. Those thundering sounds make me think the surface could crash any time.

We'll see if I dare to ice-fish this year. The weather has started to be despecably cold since Sunday. Great snow is forthcoming for sure.

don't take your truck
just park and walk

;D O0

thats what i do

i see people take their RV too

God did not created man...man created god

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 01:25:04 PM »
Depends on how big the lake is, right? Can't carry all your equipment from shore to where they bite the most if the lake is more vast. Many of us want everything right by the fish house.

don't take your truck
just park and walk

;D O0

thats what i do

i see people take their RV too

"...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »
It takes a lot of work walking out and dragging all the stuff you need to be comfortable.  There's obvious the fishing equipment, rod and reel, lures.  Sometimes you want live bait, so minnows.  Then you must have an auger to drill through the ice.  Then you should have a shelter to get out of the wind.  If you have a shelter, it would be good to have a heater with propane tanks.  Of course you need a fish finder/flasher to know if there's fish under you or figure out the depth right away.

You can't just throw your rods into a bucket or toss them around cuz heavy equipment will shift or slide and break your rods.  So you may want a rod case to store them.  Then don't forget the water/drinks, some food or snacks.  Now if you catch fish, you need to haul those fish back if you plan on keeping some or a lot of fish.  It's not always a cake walk cuz some lakes or spots, you need to go down hill and that means you have to go uphill on the return. 

If there is no snow on ground, dragging your sled over dirt/gravel/grass is very hard work.  Unless you built some wheels for that thing, but who does?  Cuz you gonna have to drag them while on the frozen lake too then.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2021, 09:54:16 PM »
So I got this 5000 Shimano Twinpower reel and just noticed that the handle doesn't fold down.  It's a solid handle.  Hmmm good thing in the long run cuz less moving parts means one less loose part to wear out.  Bad thing cuz I can't fold the handle down for transport like all the other reels I've used before.  This is the last type of reel to use a titanium nitride spool lip.  Seems like they're phasing out the titanium nitride coating due to cost and complexity. 

One thing I noticed is that there seems to be a lot of gap in between some of the parts that normally I would think should be made to fit a lot closer.  Then I noticed that the bottom of the reel body seemed to have a open port for water to drain out of.  This has been one of the problems I had with fishing in the rain is that the reels will eventually get water logged inside of them and they start to bind or after bringing them home, I see oil seeping out from the seams on the frame.    Maybe this drainage port will address that problem.  Then again I won't be able to test this out until maybe next year if I do decide to fish in the rain.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 07:26:25 AM »
I decided to test out the Shimano Twinpower 1000FD spinning reel for ice fishing.  The priority is the Sufix 131 G-Core braid 6# .14mm line spooled on the Shimano Twinpower 1000FD spinning reel.  This would be one of the most expensive set up, both in reel and line.  The rod I have it mounted on is Thorne Bros. Perch Sweetheart custom 32" length.  Although I was really trying to test it out on crappies, it just happen to be walleyes that were hooked up today.  While hooked up with fish, the combination was very high performance, it seem a bit too easy.  The one piece handle has a solid transfer of power and feedback.  The drag worked very well, smooth and sturdy, no start up pressure build or drop.  The ability of the reel to line lay on the spool had more precision that I had expected, no bulge spots or dips.  Perhaps it has something to do with the Sufix 131 G-Core braid being well rounded as well.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 11:09:10 PM »
So after using my Curado BFS for ice fishing and kind of like how the performance of it goes.  Overall it does a pretty good job.  The clicking drag is very similar to that of spinning reels.

Now compared to the older Scorpion BFS which was released in 2017.  The Scorpion BFS is basically the same as the Curado BFS, except for better refinements.  Back then the Scorpion BFS was selling for just over $300 retail.  Compared to the 2021 released Curado BFS that sells at $190 retail.  So the Curado BFS is a cheapen version of the Scorpion BFS.  So with the Holiday deal, I guess I own a Scorpion BFS now.  That's how I can make the comparison as so far.  Now the conundrum is figuring out which line to spool the Scorpion BFS with.  Still haven't decided...

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 03:40:44 PM »
Time to hang up the ice fishing set up and move them over to the full sized.  Hmmm...which combination?  If I should switch lines, which ones to pick?

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 07:42:17 PM »
I keep my 7' St. Croix Premier/PC70HF pole with a 40-lb braided spider line and an 8-lb leader on the 2500 Stradic Ci4+ reel for all purposes. From crappies to bass and eyes, this set works wonders!

"...

Offline hmgROCK

• Elite Poster
  • The Hmong Nostradamus
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 10:15:37 PM »
Damn

Yall have new reel and pole every single year??
Whats the hell is wrong with last years reel???

;D ;D ;D

Sheesh

I ain’t spending $100-300

God did not created man...man created god

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 05:04:51 AM »
Cuz, I'm getting old and older.  That's a good reason.

Some people eat lobster, steak, and caviar.  Some people just eat hot dogs, peanut butter sandwiches, and instant ramen noodles.  Er just something mutually exclusive for a thought.

Hobbies aren't free.  Gotta pay a little to enjoy a lot.

Like this post: +1

Advertisements