Advertisement

Author Topic: New fishing reel  (Read 4210 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: New fishing reel
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2022, 11:31:15 PM »
Cuz, I'm getting old and older.  That's a good reason.

Some people eat lobster, steak, and caviar.  Some people just eat hot dogs, peanut butter sandwiches, and instant ramen noodles.  Er just something mutually exclusive for a thought.

Hobbies aren't free.  Gotta pay a little to enjoy a lot.

Well put... O0

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2022, 11:36:25 PM »
If one can't afford nicer things, that's fine, gotta do what one gotta do but don't be an idiot by lying about it.

For example, when you go to a cheap buffet and have shrimp and snow crab legs, don't lie and claim it's "lobster" and "king crab".. ;D ;D ;D:

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
  • Respect: +398
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2022, 10:13:54 AM »
So a few days ago, weather was nice and kind I went outside to practice casting with the Curado BFS reel.  Of course I was using the 1/4 oz. practice plug so that was very easy to also see and retrieve it back.  Normally I use an actual brass bullet weight but since that's such a small profile it's that much harder to see.

Anyway I had the Curado BFS reel mounted onto the Phenix Ultra MBX 7' Light casting rod.  It all seem to work out very well.  During the winter period with the temps below zero, the Curado BFS reel wasn't working so well.  Those backyard snow practice casting seemed a bit sluggish in comparison to it's twin predecessor the Curado 70.  However with temps in 50F the Curado BFS worked smoothly.  In addition the magnetic FTB brake system was very quiet, in comparison to the typical centrifugal brakes systems on the other Shimano reels.  Let's just say that my Metanium MG7 reels sounds like noisy whirly noise makers.  Even the current makes of Chronarch MGL reels sounds noisy.

On the spool of the Curado BFS reel I have the YGK G-Soul SS112 Sinking Braid 10# at .165 mm diameter.  Now just my backyard casting it started to get close to spooling out.  I may have only about 40 yards of line on the spool maybe 50 yards at most.  Most of my fishing cast are only around 30-35 yards distance with lures of 1/4 oz. weights to 3/8 oz. weights.  Even then I mostly cast under 30 yards with a gentle cast of a wrist flick allowing the lure to propel and carry itself. 

I have yet to wet the line on this set up, but I'm feeling confident that it will perform well.  It may be some trout fishing first at the stocker pond.  Hopefully it will be some nicer weather.

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2022, 06:17:11 AM »
I finally got to using two new reels and putting them through their pace.  I did go catfishing and utilized both the Stradic 5000FL and Twin Power 5000FD.  The Stradic 5000FL was paired with the Shimano Teramar Southeast 7' Heavy power rod.  The Twin Power 5000FD was paired with my old Cabela's XML 7' Heavy power rod.

Both of these reels were for upgrading from my old Stradic 4000FG reels that has been in serviced just past the millennium.  They were showing age and wear.  When it rains the and the reels gets wet, they really bind up.  At times the anti-reverse system fails altogether. 

Anyways it was time for the upgrades and they performed on their first field test run.  The Twin Power 5000FD reel only dealt with the smaller catfish so no real testing of it's potential was encountered.  The Stradic 5000FL was the one that fought with the bigger catfish.  Winching power was solid.  The drag also provided good resistance and flow response.  That was properly utilized and even when the catfish was close to shoreline and ran hard just a few more times. 

Casting flow was great with both reels on their respective rods.  Hopefully these newer reels will live up to 20 years of service like the old Stradic FG reels. 

The real villain is looking at you.  The last hero was just not true.  If everything works out in the end.  It's because all things make amends.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2022, 05:02:50 PM »
My Stradic and Ballistic are great. I'm starting to dislike my two Shimano Saharas now.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2022, 06:41:05 PM »
Sahara reels are okay for like panfish.  They don't have the winching power for larger fish.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 08:27:23 PM »
Yeah. They aren't that smooth, either.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2023, 08:57:16 PM »
Some time last year, I acquired a new model of the Shimano Bantam MGL A 150HG casting reel.  I was very curious about the reel as they made some changes to the spool.  The newer MGL III spool is a 35mm diameter and 19mm width as compared to the prior Bantam spool of 34mm diameter and 22mm width.  In essence you get a taller but narrower spool.  Some newer mechanical changes.  There is a design called the Infinity Drive that supports the main shaft to allow better torque transfer.  There is the Silent Tune that feature stabilizes the spool bearings so spool vibration is reduced along with bearing noise.

Well in the end the reel cast has an unbelievable smoothness and silent deployment of line.  I was an almost eerie ghostly feel of nothingness on my first cast release.  I followed up with several more trial casts of awe in nothingness.  I went to get my prior Bantam casting reel to check and reminded myself of the little engine hum that I get with it.  With the older model, I could feel the change of the lure speed in the air as it decelerates towards the end of the cast.  With the new Bantam, I could not feel it.   It was just too silent and too smooth quiet.  That did require more visual attention to the lure projectile in mid air.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2024, 11:37:04 PM »
Shimano...SLX 70A casting reel

This one is supposed to one up the just recently released SLX 70 MGL.  It's all about the spool.  The Magnum Lite spool that's lighter in weight in comparison to the standard spool.  The 70A comes with the latest iteration the Magnum Lite III spool that is in likeness to their Aldebaran BFS reel with the MGL III spool.

When comparing the SLX 70 to the equivalent Curado 70 of both in MGL designation and at price point of $150 vs $250 with near identical parts in everything.  The SLX should be a winner.

Offline VillainousHero

• Elite Poster
  • Villain or Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2024, 03:04:51 AM »
For 2024 the Shimano Twin Power freshwater spinning reel is getting a new generation.  :D

The specs on the newer one is doing away with the titanium nitride spool lip.  Gosh, so pretty much no more Shimano spinning reels will be using a titanium nitride spool lip anymore.  Well until the new one actually comes out.  Let's see what it will be.

As far as I know the clearance Twin Power sure went fast at the Shackle Warehouse. 

Offline Prude

• PH Regular
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2024, 04:49:42 AM »
I know now that better equipment means more fun
fishing.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2024, 06:12:53 PM »
True, inferior less quality stuff can still get the job done but the enjoyment and overall experience of higher quality equipment are priceless... O0

Advertisements