Advertisement

Author Topic: Like how Suni made Hmong proud, 2 Asian country just discovered their new stars  (Read 127 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
CHINA:

Raducanu: US Open champion celebrated in China for her heritage

Social media users in China are celebrating British tennis star Emma Raducanu - not just for her historic US Open win, but her Chinese heritage. Many on Chinese site Weibo praised the 18-year-old, calling her a "Dongbei girl" - a reference to her mother's ancestral home. A video of her thanking her fans in Mandarin also went viral. "She speaks just like a 'Dong Bei (north-east Chinese) girl'. How amazing!" a Weibo comment read. "Raducanu said she visits China regularly, and that one of her idols is Li Na."

The teenager, who visits her mother's ancestral home of Shenyang during the holidays, has also said that she loves nothing more than binge-watching Taiwanese television shows.

On Saturday, Raducanu beat Canadian teen Leylah Fernandez in straight-sets at the US Open to become the first British woman in 44 years to win a Grand Slam final.

THE PHILIPPINES:

Given how Fernandez is also of mixed heritage - her father is Ecuadorian and mother Filipino - social media users in the Philippines were equally intrigued and expressed their pride.

One said on Facebook: "Nice to see the Philippines finally get someone in the tennis world to cheer for."

While she has confessed in an interview to not knowing much about the Filipino culture, she said she loves Filipino cuisine.

"I don't know much about the Filipino culture but I do know that my Lolo (grandfather) - he cooks amazing, so when I get back to Canada in Toronto when I visit, he's gonna make really nice food, especially Filipino dishes because I do miss it," she said in a post-game interview.

Her father and coach Jorge, a former footballer, also told reporters: "I truly appreciate the Filipino community backing up Leylah. She's got Filipino blood in her. It's so beautiful."

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements