Advertisement

Author Topic: That's sad and unfortunate for you Hmong folks in the Twin-Cities  (Read 158 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
That's sad and unfortunate for you Hmong folks in the Twin-Cities
« on: September 14, 2021, 10:47:46 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/13/us/vandalism-hmong-cultural-center-minneapolis-trnd/index.html

Vandalism delays the opening of the Hmong Cultural Center Museum in Minnesota

(CNN)The Hmong Cultural Center in Minneapolis is having to push back the opening of its expanded museum after vandals defaced the front of the building.

Mark Pfeifer, the director of programs for the center, told CNN he discovered the vandalism Wednesday.
"I saw it right away and my heart sank. It was so depressing," he said.
White paint covered the front of the museum and the new sign advertising the museum, which had just come in after almost a month of waiting.
There were also a few words stenciled into the paint, Pfeifer said, that read "life, liberty, and victory."
Pfeifer said they had to order another sign and they are working with the building owners on a cleanup plan, as well as adding extra security.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
Re: That's sad and unfortunate for you Hmong folks in the Twin-Cities
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 11:11:03 PM »
That section of University Avenue is called Frogtown. It used to be full of crimes--anything from prostitution to drugs and murders. I didn't actually see them happening but I read about them in law school.

Now the Asian communities have thrived with growing businesses from near the Capitol to Snelling--an almost four-mile stretch. 

Crimes have slowed down since.But then the transit company recently put a light rail there, which gives criminals rides from and to places they could not be without it. Much like Chicago and New York's subway systems, some say.

Like this post: 0
"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Advertisements