Advertisement

Author Topic: Is America in trouble? All those popping babies left and right for welfare cash  (Read 420 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
...may be able to balance things out??  ???:

America is looking down the barrel of population collapse
The American economy is bitterly hostile to families. Is it any surprise fertility is falling?

The long decline in the U.S. birthrate continues. 2020 saw the fewest babies born relative to the population of women between 15 and 44 of any year in American history. A recent Pew poll found the fraction of non-parents between 18 and 49 saying they were "very likely" to have kids fell from 32 percent in 2018 to 26 percent this year, while the fraction saying they were "not too likely" or "not at all likely" increased from 37 percent to 44 percent.

There are strong reasons to think these trends will only escalate. Absent major changes, in the next decade or two, the American population is likely going to start falling fast.

For many years, the U.S. had a weirdly high birth rate relative to peer nations, especially given how our horrible welfare state made parenthood exceptionally expensive. As I explained some years back, this was largely because of teen pregnancy and immigration from other countries with higher birthrates. But all that is ended now. Teen pregnancy has been falling steadily for decades, and birthrates in America's main sources of immigrants are also declining.

Now, it's important to note that fertility has fallen across the world, even in countries with ultra-generous welfare states for parents. This surely has something to do with changing norms for what people expect in marriage, a general decline in social connections of all kinds, and feminist liberation of women from repressive traditional gender roles (a good thing, to be clear).

In fact, there's a noticeable (if rough) link between continued enforcement of rigid gender norms and lower fertility. South Korea and Japan have notoriously severe social sanctions against single mothers and some of the lowest birthrates in the world, at an estimated 1.4 and 0.9 children per women respectively. Germany used to have a very patriarchal welfare state and paid for it in the form of a low birthrate, too, though it seems to have made some progress in this area recently. By contrast, Sweden and France have kept their fertility rate comparatively high (at 1.7 and 1.8 respectively) by embracing gender equality and generous welfare benefits — especially for single parents, as it's harder to raise a child by yourself.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:54:10 PM by theking »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Poll: More Americans losing interest in having kids

The proportion of U.S. adults who don't have children and say they're unlikely to want them in the future is growing, according to a new Pew Research Center survey published Friday.

Why it matters: The declining U.S. birth rate, which has dropped for the last six years, raises questions about whether the U.S. will have enough workers in years to come to sustain the economy and fund social programs, according to the Washington Post.

Between the lines: About 56% of non-parents who say they're unlikely to have kids say it's because they "just don't want" them.

Among other reasons, 19% cited medical issues, 17% cited finances and 15% said because they don't have a partner.

9% based their decision on the "state of the world" and 5% of these respondents attributed their reluctance to climate change.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
As for myself, I think I'm just a victim of circumstances. 

I grew up with my X generations and is going on the same pace as they are.  As soon as they all gotten married and having kids, I then connected with the next generations who are still on pace.  Once they too gotten older and are out of the clubbing and single chasing young women game, I then connected with the next generations after that and it is a vicious cycle. 

Birds of a feather flocks together so when your peers are not married, you tend not to get marry yourself. 

I'm never bored with my current life that I said I need to get marry, pop babies because life is boring as is.  It just never dawn to me and maybe that is why I'm not all grown up yet.  I am still comfortable with the selfish independent lifestyle to be giving it up.   Get a steady gf and maybe I'll do it just because she's walking on a different wavelength than I am.  What would happen if she too shared the same one world views as I am?  Stay together and get a dog.  IT is not a reasonable long term solution but adjustment will come when the time is right.   O0

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Online Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
So the article implying the Americans afraid of get exposed to Covid if they give birth?  :D ;D

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Advertisements