Advertisement

Author Topic: This Asian fighter has always been classy from what I've seen  (Read 237 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1333
    • View Profile
This Asian fighter has always been classy from what I've seen
« on: December 10, 2021, 04:31:10 PM »
Nonito Donaire shows endearing kindness by translating for opponent

The word “great” has been used to describe Nonito Donaire for some time. Another apt term is “classy.”

The 39-year-old bantamweight titleholder demonstrated that once again Thursday at the final news conference to promote his defense against fellow Filipino Reymart Gaballo on Saturday in Carson, California (Showtime).

When Gaballo was struggling with his English, Donaire stepped in to serve as his opponent’s translator before a neutral translator later took over.

Gaballo was asked how concerned he was about Donaire’s vaunted left hook. He tried to answer the question in English but defaulted to his native language, Tagalog. That’s when Donaire, who grew up in the U.S., gave him a hand.

“He said, ‘Not just the left hook. He also has other arsenals we have to look out for as well,’” Donaire said.

And when Gaballo was asked what a victory over Donaire would mean to him, he again answered in Tagalog and Donaire translated.

“He said, ‘It would give him great pleasure if it happens because what he has been looking for his entire life is to be announced as a world champion,’” Donaire said.

Those who have followed Donaire’s career would’ve been amused, but not surprised by his double duty at the news conference. He’s that kind of person.

And he has a particularly soft spot for Gaballo because he’s Filipino. It’s not often that a world champion from the Philippines defends his title against a countryman. That means a lot to Donaire.

“I’m proud that there is another Filipino fighting at this level,” he said. “I’m happy to be sharing the ring with Reymart. I know he’s very hungry and that he has a big dream, just like everyone in the Philippines. I know that he’s going to be at his best, so I made sure that I’m prepared and at my best as well.”

And Donaire said the kindness he demonstrated during the interviews is consistent with his standards of behavior.

“This is a gentleman’s sport,” he said. “It gives credibility to a fighter if he can speak with sportsmanship. It’s not about talking down to other people. I believe the greater man can look into his opponent’s eyes, shake hands with him and then go for the kill when they’re in the ring.

Michael Rosenthal
Thu, December 9, 2021, 7:32 PM·3 min read

The word “great” has been used to describe Nonito Donaire for some time. Another apt term is “classy.”

The 39-year-old bantamweight titleholder demonstrated that once again Thursday at the final news conference to promote his defense against fellow Filipino Reymart Gaballo on Saturday in Carson, California (Showtime).

When Gaballo was struggling with his English, Donaire stepped in to serve as his opponent’s translator before a neutral translator later took over.

Gaballo was asked how concerned he was about Donaire’s vaunted left hook. He tried to answer the question in English but defaulted to his native language, Tagalog. That’s when Donaire, who grew up in the U.S., gave him a hand.

“He said, ‘Not just the left hook. He also has other arsenals we have to look out for as well,’” Donaire said.

And when Gaballo was asked what a victory over Donaire would mean to him, he again answered in Tagalog and Donaire translated.

“He said, ‘It would give him great pleasure if it happens because what he has been looking for his entire life is to be announced as a world champion,’” Donaire said.

Those who have followed Donaire’s career would’ve been amused, but not surprised by his double duty at the news conference. He’s that kind of person.

And he has a particularly soft spot for Gaballo because he’s Filipino. It’s not often that a world champion from the Philippines defends his title against a countryman. That means a lot to Donaire.

“I’m proud that there is another Filipino fighting at this level,” he said. “I’m happy to be sharing the ring with Reymart. I know he’s very hungry and that he has a big dream, just like everyone in the Philippines. I know that he’s going to be at his best, so I made sure that I’m prepared and at my best as well.”

And Donaire said the kindness he demonstrated during the interviews is consistent with his standards of behavior.

“This is a gentleman’s sport,” he said. “It gives credibility to a fighter if he can speak with sportsmanship. It’s not about talking down to other people. I believe the greater man can look into his opponent’s eyes, shake hands with him and then go for the kill when they’re in the ring.

“I love the sport of boxing. It’s given me everything that I have and I’m going to represent the sport with honor and integrity.”

Of course, as he said, Donaire’s good nature only goes so far. He’s on a mission to become the undisputed 118-pound champion. And he doesn’t plan to allow Gaballo to get in his way.

“Reymart is a really good fighter, but I’m very confident,” he said. “I have bigger fish to go after following this fight. We’re both going to do our best but victory is the only thing I’m here for.”

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements