Advertisement

Author Topic: Killing Stone, yeah, some still believe in it  (Read 611 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Killing Stone, yeah, some still believe in it
« on: March 23, 2022, 08:25:12 PM »
A ‘Killing Stone’ Broke in Japan. Is a Demon on the Loose?
The rock appears in a famous legend starring a nine-tailed fox spirit. The question now is whether the fracture was a good or bad omen.

With so much going wrong in the world, should we now also worry about a nine-tailed fox demoness that may be loose in a forest in Japan?

The answer depends partly on your reading of ancient Japanese mythology.

This month, a volcanic rock split in two in Nikko National Park, about 100 miles north of Tokyo. Intact, the rock was about six feet tall and 26 feet in circumference, according to a guide at the park. It had long been associated with a Japanese legend in which an evil fox spirit haunts a “killing stone,” or Sessho-seki in Japanese, making it deadly to humans. Some people have speculated that the fracture set the fox loose to cause further harm.

Others have focused on a variation of the legend that ends on a happier note. In that telling, after a Zen monk splits the rock into several pieces and coaxes out the fox, she promises never to harm humans again.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +368
    • View Profile
Re: Killing Stone, yeah, some still believe in it
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 04:42:47 AM »
I don't think a fox did this. Lol

Perhaps the rock has been cracked due to extreme colder weather condition. The same analogy applies to a metal chain when it's dropped into a pale of dry ice for few minutes. When you take out the chain and break it, it'll definitely break into tiny pieces.

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 08:47:57 AM »
It's unique how each culture has their own mythical/evil creatures and belief just as we have in ours (dragon shape shifter, poj ntxoog, P nyuaj vaim, lig nyuag, etc..) and what's real depends on individual cultures.  So that rock, to us it's just a natural occurrence but to another culture it's mythical.  Never know...

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 10:02:12 PM »
It's unique how each culture has their own mythical/evil creatures and belief just as we have in ours (dragon shape shifter, poj ntxoog, P nyuaj vaim, lig nyuag, etc..) and what's real depends on individual cultures.  So that rock, to us it's just a natural occurrence but to another culture it's mythical.  Never know...

Not really. Both Chinese and Japanese have similar mythology and their stories revolve around animals and deities.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2022, 08:32:16 AM »
Tell me more.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2022, 11:04:18 PM »
Watch Japanese animes. They always portray demons, Shaman, Buddhism, and entities.
Watch the Monkey King I,II,III. This is Chinese folklore.

Advertisements