Advertisement

Author Topic: Fruits of the Holy Spirit  (Read 742 times)

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
Fruits of the Holy Spirit
« on: April 07, 2022, 08:38:12 AM »
Something I came across and sharing:

The 12 Fruits of the Holy Spirit

The 12 fruits are charity (or love), joy, peace, patience, benignity (or kindness), goodness, longanimity (or long-suffering), mildness (or gentleness), faith, modesty, continency (or self-control), and chastity. (Longanimity, modesty, and chastity are the three fruits found only in the longer version of the text.)

Charity (or Love)

Charity is the love of God and of neighbor, without any thought of receiving something in return. It is not a "warm and fuzzy" feeling, however; charity is expressed in concrete action toward God and our fellow man.

Joy

Joy isn't emotional, in the sense that we commonly think of joy; rather, it is the state of being undisturbed by the negative things in life.

Peace

Peace is a tranquility in our soul that comes from relying on God. Rather than getting caught up in anxiety for the future, Christians, through the prompting of the Holy Spirit, trusts God to provide for them.

Patience

Patience is the ability to bear the imperfections of other people, through a knowledge of our own imperfections and our need for God's mercy and forgiveness.

Benignity (or Kindness)

Kindness is the willingness to give to others above and beyond what we own them.

Goodness

Goodness is the avoidance of evil and the embrace of what's right, even at the expense of one's earthly fame and fortune.

Longanimity (or Long-Suffering)

Longanimity is patience under provocation. While patience is properly directed at other's faults, to be long-suffering is to endure quietly the attacks of others.

Mildness (or Gentleness)

To be mild in behavior is to be forgiving rather than angry, gracious rather than vengeful. The gentle person is meek; like Christ Himself, Who said that "I am gentle and humble of heart" (Matthew 11:29) he does not insist on having his own way but yields to others for the sake of the Kingdom of God.

Faith

Faith, as a fruit of the Holy Spirit, means living our life in accordance with God's will at all times.

Modesty

Being modest means humbling yourself, acknowledging that any of your successes, achievements, talents, or merits are not truly your own but gifts from God.

Continence

Continence is self-control or temperance. It does not mean denying oneself what one needs or even necessarily what one wants (so long as what one wants is something good); rather, it is the exercise of moderation in all things.

Chastity

Chastity is the submission of physical desire to right reason, subjugating it to one's spiritual nature. Chastity means indulging our physical desires only within the appropriate contexts—for instance, engaging in sexual activity only within marriage.

https://www.learnreligions.com/the-fruits-of-the-holy-spirit-542103

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 08:41:19 AM by Dok_Champa »

Like this post: 0
But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Adverstisement

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Fruits of the Holy Spirit
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 09:51:37 AM »
Charity and chastity, different.

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 10:16:21 AM »
I just noticed.

Good to know of a new word: longanimity.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 01:31:18 AM »
There are more than 12. lol

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 08:33:56 AM »
Visual, I think your eyes were playing tricks...it's exactly 12. 

Longanimity is a new word for me as well and i've been living the word without knowing the term.  I just thought endure, be patient, God has  everything under control. 

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 07:15:05 PM »
Visual, I think your eyes were playing tricks...it's exactly 12. 

Longanimity is a new word for me as well and i've been living the word without knowing the term.  I just thought endure, be patient, God has  everything under control.

Those 12 fruits came from Catholic's perspective.  :D

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Advertisements