Advertisement

Author Topic: Bout Time, I say the USMNT got lucky looking at the numbers as the USWNT  (Read 282 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
..seem to draw better ratings and revenue as well as championships. .in recent years.. ???:

U.S. Soccer, USWNT, USMNT agree to historic equal pay deals

The U.S. Soccer Federation and its men's and women's national teams agreed to side-by-side collective bargaining agreements that will equalize pay and vindicate the women in their years-long battle with the federation over inequities.

The two deals, which run through 2028, will pay men's and women's players on "identical" terms, the federation and the two players unions announced Wednesday. They will also equalize World Cup prize money, clearing a major barrier that had perpetuated inequality and still does elsewhere around the globe.

And whereas previous labor agreements positioned the USMNT and USWNT as competitors for finite resources, the new agreements position the men and women as partners on a joint mission: to raise soccer's profile in the United States, and capitalize financially as they do.

The deals come three months after dozens of women's players and U.S. Soccer settled a gender discrimination lawsuit that had strained the relationship between the federation and its most successful team. The settlement netted the women $24 million, and came with a promise of equal pay.

The CBAs are a realization of that promise, a critical step toward final approval of the settlement, and a landmark resolution to a contentious fight that officially began in 2016, but that has weighed on the USWNT throughout its existence.

U.S. Soccer president Cindy Parlow Cone, a former USWNT player herself, called it "a truly historic moment."

Becky Sauerbrunn, a USWNT defender and president of their players' association, called it "a testament to the incredible efforts of WNT players on and off the field.”

Tyler Adams, a USMNT midfielder, said he was "extremely proud." Walker Zimmerman, a USMNT defender and players' association leader, acknowledged that, for the men, "there was a potential chance of making less money. No doubt about it. But we also believe so much in the women's team, we believe in the whole premise of equal pay. And ultimately, that was a big driving force for us."

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline ProudLao

• Mekong In My Heart
  • Administrator
  • Still a little boy running free in Laos
  • Respect: +555
    • View Profile
Saw that earlier. Yup, it’s about time.

Like this post: 0
I take refuge in the Buddha.
I take refuge in the dharma.