Advertisement

Author Topic: The Supra 3 finally becomes a real sports car again  (Read 1570 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
The Supra 3 finally becomes a real sports car again
« on: July 28, 2022, 04:05:19 AM »
 O0:

The 2023 Toyota Supra with its new six-speed manual transmission starts at $53,595, the same price as the automatic model.

The manual-only A91-MT special edition costs $59,440 and comes with a brown leather interior and other tweaks.

The base Supra 2.0 is also still available, but only with an automatic transmission, and starts at $44,635.

The new six-speed manual transmission is arguably the 2023 Toyota Supra's most desirable option, but it won't cost extra. For 2023, the Supra 3.0 starts at $53,595 and the 3.0 Premium starts at $56,745, both representing a $610 increase over last year, but those prices apply regardless of whether you choose the eight-speed automatic or the newly available stick-shift.

The manual comes only with the 382-hp turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six, as the base 255-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four remains automatic-only. The base Supra 2.0 costs the same $44,635 as it did last year.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Boost

• Jr. Poster
  • "Year Of The Dragon"
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Re: The Supra 3 finally becomes a real sports car again
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 04:51:25 PM »
Auto > Manual unless you want to do hoonigan thangs.

GR Supra - Armaspeed, AWE, Function Werk, Forge, JB4..
S2000 - AP1 w/AP2 Swap, GT35, Haltech, AEM, Tial, T1R..
RX400h - Hybrid

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 06:58:15 PM »
Auto tranny in a sports car is for the granny and grandpa type so sure it can apply to some... ;D.

I say that because when I owned my Vette, most of the younger owners prefer stick as appose to most of the older owners preferring auto per one of the polls. For many enthusiast, stick or no deal when it comes to pure sports cars like the Supra..

Offline Boost

• Jr. Poster
  • "Year Of The Dragon"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 11:59:38 PM »
Nah, manual is a thing of the past. Manual was faster in the old days where autos were like 3 gears and everything had like 100hp. Most people I know like manual for the fun factor. To each their own though.

RX400h - Hybrid

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 12:46:25 PM »
To each their own though.

Can't argue with that point, at the end of the day, you gotta do what's right for you regardless...

If fast and quick are my purpose, ICE vehicles in the same price range may not be the option anymore but perhaps EV with all that TQ on tap..  ???:

2021 Tesla Model S Plaid Is as Quick as a Multimillion-Dollar Hypercar
Its zero-to-60-mph time is 0.1 second off Tesla’s claim, but Car and Driver tests on a non-prepped surface.

We tested a 2021 Tesla Model S Plaid, and it reached 60 mph in 2.1 seconds on the way to a quarter-mile pass in 9.4 seconds at 151 mph.
That 60-mph time ties the Porsche 918 Spyder and 911 Turbo S, and it matches the Bugatti Chiron Sport's quarter-mile time, which is the quickest we've ever measured.
The Ferrari SF90 Stradale is still the quickest to 60 mph Car and Driver has ever recorded, beating the Plaid by 0.1 second.

Before you roast us in the comments, let us first inform you that Tesla's 1.99-second zero-to-60-mph claim for the Model S Plaid involves launching on a super-sticky drag-strip surface. Also, that 1.99 rounds to 2.0 when you report results to the tenth. We instead test every car on a non-prepped surface that mimics the pavement on regular roads.
In our testing, we reached 60 mph in 2.1 seconds, which is 0.1 second behind the quickest car we’ve ever tested, the Ferrari SF90 Stradale, and tied with the Porsche 918 Spyder and 911 Turbo S.

It also ties the Bugatti Chiron for the quickest car we’ve ever recorded in the quarter-mile, blasting through in 9.4 seconds at 151 mph (7 mph slower than the Bug), and it’s more than $3 million cheaper.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 01:20:21 PM »
Automatic still beat the manual trannie supra. 

"The sprint from 0 to 60 mph is made in 4.6 seconds – which is 0.5 seconds slower than the automatic version, while top speed remains limited to 155 mph.
Which one is better - The Manual Toyota Supra 3.0 or the new GR 86? - image 1085235 "
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/which-one-is-better-the-manual-toyota-supra-30-or-the-new-gr-86-ar196368.html

They want 10K over msrp for my gr86.  I shouldn't complain though.  I didn't put reservation.   :'(

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Boost

• Jr. Poster
  • "Year Of The Dragon"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 04:34:12 PM »
Can't argue with that point, at the end of the day, you gotta do what's right for you regardless...

If fast and quick are my purpose, ICE vehicles in the same price range may not be the option anymore but perhaps EV with all that TQ on tap..  ???:

Just clarifying the desire behind manual as a child in the 80s-90s. Yes, EV Teslas are quick, but it would be like saying their isnt an engine rumble so its not really a sports car. Kind of like saying if it isnt a manual it isnt a sports car. haha BUT the EVs are also automatics.  ;D

They want 10K over msrp for my gr86.  I shouldn't complain though.  I didn't put reservation.   :'(

To be honest, the msrp is just right for the GR86, maybe even stretching it a little. I wouldn't pay over it if I wanted one.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 04:37:23 PM by Boost »

RX400h - Hybrid

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 01:24:57 AM »
Automatic still beat the manual trannie supra. 

"The sprint from 0 to 60 mph is made in 4.6 seconds – which is 0.5 seconds slower than the automatic version, while top speed remains limited to 155 mph.
Which one is better - The Manual Toyota Supra 3.0 or the new GR 86? - image 1085235 "
https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/which-one-is-better-the-manual-toyota-supra-30-or-the-new-gr-86-ar196368.html

"Which one is better"?

That depends on the individual buying the car...

Sure the 86 cost a lot less but the Supra looks a lot better and with more higher end top shelf bits built in IMO. I would go Supra between the two.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 01:50:32 AM by theking »

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 01:35:18 AM »
Just clarifying the desire behind manual as a child in the 80s-90s. Yes, EV Teslas are quick, but it would be like saying their isnt an engine rumble so its not really a sports car. Kind of like saying if it isnt a manual it isnt a sports car. haha BUT the EVs are also automatics.  ;D

The Tesla Model S Plaid is definitely not a sports car IMO  ;D. It's a 4-door family sedan that just happens to have world class performance. if a buyer just want a car with world class acceleration, and don't care if it's a sedan or automatic, it may be the car for him/her at fraction of the cost of world class sports cars from Bugatti, Ferrari, Lambo, etc.

From the photo below, the Model S Plaid sedan looks just like the standard Model S sedan...

Offline Boost

• Jr. Poster
  • "Year Of The Dragon"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2022, 08:20:51 PM »
The Tesla Model S Plaid is definitely not a sports car IMO  ;D. It's a 4-door family sedan that just happens to have world class performance. if a buyer just want a car with world class acceleration, and don't care if it's a sedan or automatic, it may be the car for him/her at fraction of the cost of world class sports cars from Bugatti, Ferrari, Lambo, etc.

From the photo below, the Model S Plaid sedan looks just like the standard Model S sedan...

Yes yes I get it about Tesla, thats what I slightly mentioned in my last post. They're EVs, automatics and people don't consider them sports cars, but they are quick. Their power plants are also different so people who truly share a passion for cars, grease and wrenching will look past them.

Its like going to the car meets/events and seeing a bunch of Teslas with their owners.... and thats it. No one cares.

But back on topic. Auto > Manual, unless you do hoonigan things.

RX400h - Hybrid

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2022, 11:52:40 PM »
To each their own but no way here, stick over auto in a pure bred sports car every time because auto is boring in that type of car. Sure an auto tranny may be OK for a minivan, RV or station wagon but not for a pure bred sports car IMO ;D. Plus, as a driver, I feel more input and thrills driving a stick sports car and even off-roading on a 4x4 truck. Lots of folks are afraid to drive stick on those San Francisco hills but I actually prefer it because it takes more skills not to burn the clutch out and it's more thrilling compared to just shift to "D" and go.

I say the only area where auto might be over stick is heavy congested stop and go traffic in big cities like SF, NYC, etc., after a long day of work.. ???

Offline Boost

• Jr. Poster
  • "Year Of The Dragon"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 07:51:22 PM »
To each their own but no way here, stick over auto in a pure bred sports car every time because auto is boring in that type of car. Sure an auto tranny may be OK for a minivan, RV or station wagon but not for a pure bred sports car IMO ;D. Plus, as a driver, I feel more input and thrills driving a stick sports car and even off-roading on a 4x4 truck. Lots of folks are afraid to drive stick on those San Francisco hills but I actually prefer it because it takes more skills not to burn the clutch out and it's more thrilling compared to just shift to "D" and go.

I say the only area where auto might be over stick is heavy congested stop and go traffic in big cities like SF, NYC, etc., after a long day of work.. ???

I think I would prefer a stick in a mud truck too. Man, I'm unsure, cause you'd be riding that clutch. Yea, auto for me, cause I'm an old man now. I still have 2 other manual cars and I enjoy them, but not quite as much as I used to. They're both great for the road course, but not for drag racing.

RX400h - Hybrid

Offline NtsesHnub

• PH Regular
  • FishSun
  • Respect: +242
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 08:06:55 PM »
Most of my friends with manuals had money shifted before :2funny:   On the tracks and on the streets.  I'm not about that life so automatic all day for me.  The only car I'll buy manual is a viper. 

Different 💩 same smell

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 08:44:25 PM »
Yea, auto for me, cause I'm an old man now.

At the end of the day, the bottom line still comes down to you since it's your money regardless of what anyone else says...so if you prefer auto, get the auto so there's no buyer's remorse down the road.  8)

Kind of like what I've said to folks that want automatic motorcycles. I tell them I prefer manual tranny motorcycles but it's just my preference so they should get what they want since it's their money. Got a couple of friends looking at these automatic motorcycles:

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 08:57:28 PM »
The only car I'll buy manual is a viper.

Vipers are nice looking cars too. I had a friend that bought a Gen 1 1993 Viper RT/10 roadster and it didn't come with A/C so we all kind of teased him a bit since it can get pretty hot in California's Central Valley. We were like, the car cost that much and it doesn't even come with A/C??  ;D:

Advertisements