Advertisement

Author Topic: Part Asian dad's commitment to his son made him more Superman than the money  (Read 231 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Dean Cain says he turned down being one of the highest-paid actors on TV to raise his son alone

Dean Cain revealed that he gave up huge career opportunities to raise his son as a single father.

The 56-year-old actor, who shared custody of son Christopher with his ex-girlfriend, Samantha Torres, from 2003 until he was awarded sole custody in 2011, opened up about the sacrifices he has made in his film and television career to focus on parenthood.

"It affected my career like I can't even explain. I turned down being one of, if not the highest-paid actor on television, for a show that ended up going six years," he told Fox News Digital at a special screening of the 2021 Christian drama film "God's Not Dead: We the People" last week.

He continued, "The contract was very attractive. But I was in the middle of a custody dispute, so I could either be a father or take that job."

ISAIAH WASHINGTON ON FAITH-BASED FILMS AND HOW HAVING A FAMILY HAS CHANGED HIS CHOICE OF ACTING ROLES

"It took me a split second, not even a split second," Cain added.

Cain and Torres were engaged in a bitter 18-month custody battle that ended with the former couple being awarded joint custody of their then-2-year-old son in 2003.

In 2011, the "Vendetta" star assumed sole custody of Christopher, an arrangement that was mutually agreed upon by Cain and Torres so that their son could be raised in one household.

Cain told Fox News Digital that his own experience as an adoptee influenced his decision to prioritize fatherhood over career. The actor and his older brother, Roger, were adopted by film director Christopher Cain after he married their mother, Sharon Thomas, in 1969. Cain's own son, Christopher, is named after his adopted father.

"As soon as I was presented the choice, it was like, 'I'm going to be a dad,'" he said. "My father adopted me when I was 4, and I know how important that was for my life."

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 06:16:25 PM by theking »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements