Advertisement

Author Topic: Speaking of "Martha's Vineyard", this is true as some doctors can't even afford  (Read 131 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1333
    • View Profile
..to own a home and live there:

In Martha's Vineyard, even the doctors can't afford housing anymore

Essential workers can’t afford to stay on the island, putting basic services in jeopardy

MARTHA’S VINEYARD, Mass. — The stacks of chicken broth and shelf-stable milk were dwindling as the food pantry entered the last minutes of the day and a 63-year-old woman in a Boston Red Sox mask hurried through the door.

Sharon Brown, the pantry director, greeted the woman at the front desk. As Brown logged the details she needed to collect into her system, the woman’s story unspooled: After 18 years of living on the island, her rent had suddenly shot up.

“I couldn’t believe it. Doubled!” the woman said. “I’ve never seen things this bad.”

“This summer was the worst summer ever,” Brown agreed.

What Brown didn’t say out loud was that she knew this story well. That she and her 14-year-old son had moved three times since June. That in two weeks, when school began, she had no idea where they were going to live. Finding an affordable year-round rental on the Vineyard had become next to impossible.

“Well,” Brown began, “if you know anyone who has a year-round…” Her voice trailed off.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
I've been there and it's a really nice area but I wouldn't want to go there in the Winter...

I took this photo when I was there:

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
Here's a sample photo of what Winter can be like in Martha's Vineyard which is why I said, no thanks...

Advertisements