Advertisement

Author Topic: Traveling to Southeast Asia...  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
Traveling to Southeast Asia...
« on: January 27, 2023, 03:54:57 PM »
With the lifting of covid restrictions everywhere... I was thinking about taking a month long trip to Southeast Asia: Thailand, Loas, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore and Philippine if time permit. Probably won't happened until late August to Sept. I want to go see the rice terraces of Sapa, Vietnam.

Just going by myself... maybe get a female host/tour guide  O0

Like this post: 0
- Maxi pad not greatest thing on earth but next to it.

Adverstisement

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +648
    • View Profile
Re: Traveling to Southeast Asia...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 06:42:44 PM »
Better get vaccinated then since most borders are closed to the unvaccinated. lol

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 02:08:59 PM »
Better get vaccinated then since most borders are closed to the unvaccinated. lol

Nah, I looked it up and all don't need a vaxxed card or proof of being vaxxed. Just a 72 hrs prior arrival test showing negative result and these tests are readily available from country where you're coming from.

Offline Reporter

• Administrator
  • Pey-Pey and NiNi's 1st Snow Kid.
  • Respect: +562
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 04:57:43 PM »
Sounds like you've gotten it all figured out, Hung_Low.

"...
The snooping eye sees everything."--Ono No Komachi, Japanese Poetess (emphasis)

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 11:38:42 AM »
Yes same here and Sapa is on my list as well.  Someone told me the best time to visit is September or October, not too hot or cold, and rice would be ready for harvesting and those rice terrace would be golden. 

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 01:10:03 PM »
Yes same here and Sapa is on my list as well.  Someone told me the best time to visit is September or October, not too hot or cold, and rice would be ready for harvesting and those rice terrace would be golden.

My hmong friend was in Bali and is now in Sapa right now  To see more of Sapa, I watched Sapa TV on youtube.  The guy is viet but he broadcast from Sapa and he's hmong cultural like I am although his channel is spoken in the viet language for the viet audiences world wide.  Another way for me to learn about the hmong people in my country by the way.  Best clip for me is during the hmong new year as everyone be hogging around that big bridge over that river.  Ferry ride underneath for a fee.   O0

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Dok_Champa

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 06:39:33 PM »
I've come across SAPA Tv and shows mostly about food.  Too bad I don't understand a word and would be good if there's English subtitle. Besides Sapa TV, a few vietnamese youtuber/vlogger like to do shows about Hmong and other minorities daily life in Northern Vietnam.  It's amazing how some hmong people live....wayyyy yy up on the mountain, cliff side communities, deep in the valleys, in some very rural far off place, etc...

But true love is a durable fire, In the mind ever burning, Never sick, never old, never dead, From itself never turning.<br />               --Sir Walter Raleigh

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 07:12:53 PM »
I've come across SAPA Tv and shows mostly about food.  Too bad I don't understand a word and would be good if there's English subtitle. Besides Sapa TV, a few vietnamese youtuber/vlogger like to do shows about Hmong and other minorities daily life in Northern Vietnam.  It's amazing how some hmong people live....wayyyy yy up on the mountain, cliff side communities, deep in the valleys, in some very rural far off place, etc...

hmong speaking in viet, very rare to find in the states.  For some reason, I feel connected to the hmong living in vietnam.  It is like I could understand them and I could speak viet to them if I need them to explain to me as to what the hmong is going on. 

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Hung_Low

• Sr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 12:54:42 PM »

Yes... that's the best time to visit. However, that's the time with the most tourists too. Something I found interesting is that rice are grown in two sessions (two times a year). Majority of the rice terraces you see online are planted later in the year so they ripen during the Sept/Oct time frame. I saw a bunch of fields that were filled with ripen rice when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

While there in Sapa, go visit Fansipan (the tallest mountain in all of Southeast Asia) and Cat Cat Village.

With today's tech, visa are easy to get - just make sure there is no mistake on the Visa application. Just to change a simple letter or number will cost you hundreds of $$$$.

Advertisements