Advertisement

Author Topic: Man, lights out...comes down to money as usual..  (Read 201 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Man, lights out...comes down to money as usual..
« on: March 03, 2023, 06:29:06 PM »
San Francisco's Bay Bridge Lights Will Go Dark Indefinitely on Sunday

Portions of the 25,000-LED light sculpture are broken, and the high cost of upkeep led Caltrans to decide to shut off the lights permanently

When it comes to suspension bridges, we’re typically concerned with paying the toll and getting to the other side. But a suspension bridge can also become an iconic symbols of its region. San Francisco, Pittsburgh and Venice all have bridges you’d recognize at a glance, inextricably associated with their cities. Next on the list would likely be the Bay Bridge with its glowing strands. However, those lights could go dark forever on Sunday, March 5, 2023.

Caltrans will turn off the Bay Lights, an art installation on the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge, on Sunday, perhaps indefinitely. According to NBC Bay Area, the decision was made because large portions of the light sculpture, designed by artist Leo Villareal, are broken and too costly to repair. Illuminate, the public art non-profit that originally installed the Bay Lights, is attempting to raise $11 million in hopes to save and fully restore the project.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +377
    • View Profile
Re: Man, lights out...comes down to money as usual..
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 02:38:20 AM »
Walking across the bay bridge during this hour is definitely my bucket list.

There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Re: Man, lights out...comes down to money as usual..
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2023, 10:23:36 AM »
I think they should only light it up on certain occasion.  Like holidays or a ball game.  Them lights should be used when you are welcoming tourists into your city. 

The bridge with all them lights is beautiful but as a  tourist, we tend to take it for granted.  I mean I don't even look at the the golden gate bridge with an aww anymore.  I see that bridge anytime I want to.  Heck, why marvel at a once upon a time, a suicide bridge for?  Here's a fact.  One guy jumped off and was lucky to have a pod of seals underneath.  They thought he was a beach ball so they swam under him which then creates a current or bubbles to push the guy to the service. He lived and is now an advocate for suicide prevention.   O0 

The guy thought it was a shark so he kicked them.  A witness on top that stood nearby the jumper looked down and testify that it was a bunch of seals.  Man, you just can't make this stuff up.   :2funny:

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Advertisements