Advertisement

Author Topic: I think PH should create their own version of the "GS" bill  (Read 434 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
I think PH should create their own version of the "GS" bill
« on: March 15, 2023, 07:07:01 PM »
 ;D:

Ritchie Torres’ George Santos bill would make NY candidate lies a crime

Let’s not do that again!

Democratic Bronx Rep. Ritchie Torres is set to introduce legislation that would make it illegal for Congressional hopefuls to lie about their biographies as outrage grows over the unraveling of Congressman-elect George Santos’ life story.

The bill would make it illegal for candidates to “defraud” voters by providing false information about their education, past employment or military service. Those details would be required to be part of the disclosures candidates already must make to run for office.

“George Santos pretended to be a Ukrainian, Belgium, Brazilian, Catholic, Jew, whose mother died twice — including in 9/11, whose ancestors survived the Holocaust and whose employees died in the Pulse mass shooting and who became a millionaire overnight,” Torres told The Post. “It’s absurd. It would be laughable, if it weren’t so serious.”

Providing incorrect information would be a prosecutable offense that could be punished with a $100,000 fine or up to a year in prison.

However, if enacted, the new law would have to contend with the extensive latitude politicians are given by the courts to make statements thanks to the First Amendment’s protections of political speech.

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

Offline NtsesHnub

• PH Regular
  • FishSun
  • Respect: +242
    • View Profile
Re: I think PH should create their own version of the "GS" bill
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 10:48:37 PM »
P = Phony

Different 💩 same smell

Offline Visualmon

• Sr. Poster
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 11:03:40 PM »
The title

Like this post: +2
There's no need for you to hide. I already saw you.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 09:00:52 AM »
P = Phony

;D ;D ;D

Or PHakation "PHony" PHotos...

Offline NtsesHnub

• PH Regular
  • FishSun
  • Respect: +242
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 01:42:08 PM »

Different 💩 same smell

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 08:43:50 PM »
Westchester will mandate candidate disclosures in response to Santos campaign lies

George Santos is making an impact in Westchester County, if not in Washington.

The Long Island congressman who lied and lied about his background — and mostly avoided exposure before winning his seat in November — has inspired a law to prevent a Westchester Santos. It will require county candidates to disclose their school and work histories up front, before they get elected and can't be removed for lying.

Like this post: 0

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 01:39:07 AM »
Why I have zero respect for LIARS and have no problem calling them out:

GEORGE SANTOS’S 11 MOST ABSURD LIES AND CONS (THAT WE KNOW ABOUT SO FAR)

His mother died as a result of 9/11

Santos’s campaign website claimed that his mother “was in her office in the South Tower on September 11,” adding that she “passed away a few years later when she lost her battle to cancer.” On July 12, 2021, he wrote on Twitter: “9/11 claimed my mothers life.” While there have obviously been many people who have died as a result of the toxic debris they inhaled on 9/11, NBC News notes that although Santos has claimed his mother was a financial executive, “public employment records show only one employer for Santos’ mother: Imports by Rose, a company based in Queens that shuttered in 1994.” There’s also the awkward matter of documents indicating she was in Brazil on the day of the attacks.

Volleyball star

One of the first lies Santos got caught in was claiming he had graduated from Baruch College with degrees in economics and finance in 2010, a college he did not even attend. Objectively even funnier? The fact that Santos reportedly told multiple people that he was the “star” of the Baruch volleyball team.

Incredibly, Santos went into even greater detail than that, saying in a 2020 radio interview that he:

Attended Baruch on a volleyball scholarship
Was part of the team that “slayed” Yale and Harvard
Could have played basketball but went with volleyball because “it was easier”
“Sacrificed both…knees” and “got very nice knee replacements…from playing volleyball” because “that’s how serious I took the game”
During the same interview, he also told the host: “We were champions across the entire Northeast Corridor. Every school that came up against us, they were shaking at the time. And it’s funny. I was the smallest guy and I’m 6 [feet] 2.” Naturally, according to the New York Post, the Baruch men’s volleyball team “never played Yale during the period Santos claimed to have attended school there.”

That Ponzi scheme

Santos’s employment history—which, no, did not actually see him working at Goldman Sachs or Citigroup—included time at a financial firm called Harbor City, which the Securities and Exchange Commission accused of running a Ponzi scheme and was later shut down. According to CNN, he insisted to a prospective investor that it was “100% legitimate,” despite having reportedly been told the firm had been accused of circulating fraudulent documents.

Alleged crimes committed in Brazil

In 2008, Santos was charged with fraud by Brazilian prosecutors for stealing the checkbook of a man his mother was working for and then spending nearly $700 using a stolen checkbook and a fake name. He admitted to this in 2009 and then again in 2010. Then, he moved to the United States and reportedly stopped responding to authorities, who didn’t know his whereabouts. In an interview after many of his lies came to light, Santos insisted: “I am not a criminal here—not here or in Brazil or any jurisdiction in the world.” Prosecutors in Brazil have said they plan to re-charge him with fraud.

Allegedly stolen scarves

Ex-roommates of Santos—who know him as Anthony Devolder, the middle name he was going by as recently as 2019—have said he stole numerous items from them, including a Burberry scarf that he then wore to a “Stop the Steal” rally, where he claimed his unsuccessful 2020 bid for office had been “stolen” from him, just as the 2020 presidential election had been stolen from Donald Trump.

Santos has claimed—in a sworn statement!—that he was mugged while attempting to deliver a check for back rent owed to his Queens landlord. Shockingly, there is no record of this happening.

All those $199.99 charges

There’s absolutely nothing shady about the fact that Santos’s campaign spent exactly $199.99 on 37 different campaign expenditures filed with the Federal Election Commission, which is incidentally exactly one cent below the dollar threshold above which the FEC requires campaigns to keep receipts. Not shady at all.

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 07:21:14 PM »
Prosecutors in Brazil have agreed to a deal with Rep. George Santos in a case in which he is accused of defrauding a Rio de Janeiro area clerk of $1,300 over clothes and shoes in 2008

Advertisements