Advertisement

Author Topic: UNGRATEFUL and spoiled, reminds me of that kid that turned down a Mustang right  (Read 201 times)

Online theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
...in front of Al Bundy  ???:

A Dad Gifted a $700 Mixer to His Daughter, Who Threw It Away Because It Was Ugly

A father gifted his daughter a $700 KitchenAid stand mixer for her 24th birthday.
However, because the woman thought it was an "ugly color," she gave away the mixer to a friend.
Somehow, that's not even the worst part of her behavior in this story.
What did you get for your 24th birthday? A nice card? A nifty sweater? What about a $700 KitchenAid stand mixer? Okay, before you say, "I wish I got a $700 mixer, that would be incredible," here's the twist: it's in a color you don't like.

Now, you might say, "Who cares?" regarding the gifted mixer's color. But according to a recent Reddit post on the r/AITA (short for "Am I the A**hole?"), one person cared very much about it. So much so that she caused a blow-up in her family over it, then turned to the internet to ask who was in the wrong.

The post was titled "AITA for giving away an expensive KitchenAid standmixer my dad got me for my birthday that i thought looked extremely ugly?" And amazingly, its author filled that post with five paragraphs of details, even though pretty much everyone answered "Yes" just from the title alone.

But hey, there's always two sides to every story. Let's dive in and see if she comes off more sympathetic in her version of events:

"Background: for my 24th birthday, my dad got me a grey metal KitchenAid standmixer for my apartment. It was about $700 I think. However, I did NOT ask for this and honestly I freaking hate the color as it does not match anything in my place and it's also too big. I gave it to my friend who liked it and was moving to a different state. My boyfriend then got me a cute black standmixer that fit into my apartment a lot better so that's what I have."
Yikes. Okay, so not starting on the best foot by admitting to rejecting a $700 gift because "I freaking hate the color." But that's what this poster is saying to Reddit anonymously. Surely she didn't say that to her father, who gifted her the mixer. Surely she has more tact than that.

"My dad was over last night and he noticed that the grey standmixer was gone and replaced by the black one. He asked where it was and I told him the truth (namely, that I thought the grey was ugly so I gave it to my friend and my boyfriend got me the black one instead)."
The dad was, naturally, quite shocked at this reveal, saying he spent a lot of money on it, and thought his daughter would have liked it. And if you're thinking, well, surely the daughter saw the error of her ways there and then, and didn't double down on her righteous color-related indignation ... you'd be wrong:

"I said if he would have been more observant, he would have known that I absolutely hate the color grey (it's my least favorite color) and everyone in my life who knows me knows that."
In a rare moment of internet unity, the Reddit comments unanimously agreed that this AITA poster was indeed the "a**hole."

"This is one of those instances where it's time to come back down to earth," one Redditor wrote, "...because at age 24, expecting people in your life to know your least favorite color is absolutely bizarre. And saying it's because he isn't observant is wildly mean."

We can all agree this guy did nothing wrong by gifting his daughter a $700 mixer in the "wrong" color. What Mom and Dad might have done wrong, however, is raise a kid who thinks it's okay to toss away a $700 gift, and thinks people care about what her "least favorite color" is. That's what they might be asking themselves right now.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements