Advertisement

Author Topic: If you're dating someone of a different race and they don't like your food, it's  (Read 224 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
..probably not going to work  ???:

Man shares why his girlfriend was 'appalled' by him eating balut in viral post

I am Vietnamese, she is not. I usually eat balut every so often - it's not a weird food for other Southeast Asian countries either. For those that don't know, it's a developing duck egg (or fertilized duck egg). Basically, you are eating an unborn baby duck and whatever else is in the egg. Sounds weird, but I like it.

My GF is not vegetarian, hasn't expressed her desire to be so either. Everytime I've had balut, it's been as a snack at my family's house. She just hasn't been there every time we eat it as a family. Yesterday was the first time, when we visited my parent's house. My mom brings out the eggs, GF thinks it's just boiled egg, I peel it for her and freaks out when we tell her what it is.

According to the original poster (OP), his girlfriend immediately expressed her anger at him for serving her the traditional Southeast Asian delicacy.

She's absolutely PISSED at me, as if I committed the worst sin in the world. She compared it to eating a dog… She didn't eat any but is appalled as me eating it... She says things like she can't believe I'd do such a thing, that I'm horrible for "supporting the dead-baby market," and I've stayed calm as best as I can, trying to calm her down as well, but a day later, she is still upset at me.

The OP, who had been in a relationship with his girlfriend for five years at the time, asked for advice on the discussion platform on how to deal with the situation as he felt the argument would further escalate.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements