Advertisement

Author Topic: Folks Sharing Things That Were Normal In The '90s And '00s But Are Now Luxury  (Read 160 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
"Times Have Changed": People Are Sharing Things That Were Normal In The '90s And '00s But Are Now Considered A Luxury
"Household products that don't break within the first few years of use. My mom's wedding cookware is still going strong 25 years later, but whenever she needs new pans, they start flaking Teflon into the food within a few months."

It's wild to think back on what many aspects of life used to be like back in the day compared with now — but especially when it comes to the price of things and the cost of living. I found this Reddit thread where u/zombiem00se asked, "What was normal 20 to 30 years ago but is considered a luxury now?" Buckle up, because some of these responses really had me scratching my head like, "Whoa, how times have changed!"

1. "New furniture made out of real wood."
A wood dresser
Andreas Von Einsiedel / Getty Images
—u/Juls7243

2. "Owning the software you purchased."
—u/FinnofLocke

3. "Paying no more than 30% of your income in rent."
A "For rent two bedroom" sign in the bushes
Thomas Winz / Getty Images
—u/newsaggregateftw

4. "Not being expected to be reachable 24/7."
—u/Siukslinis_acc

5. "Concert ticket prices."
Taylor Swift onstage
Kevin Mazur / Getty Images for TAS Rights Management
—u/Quality_Street_1

6. "Single-income families buying a home."
—u/THESSIS

7. "Good-quality fabric in clothing. I have clothes from the '90s (and '80s from my mother) that still hold up today. These days, I'm lucky if my shirt isn't saggy and misshapen within a year."
—u/TheMadLaboratorian

8. "Being able to afford going out every Friday after work."
Two people sitting at a bar
Hinterhaus Productions / Getty Images
—u/M-the-music-guy

9. "Items not requiring a subscription each month."
—u/few29er

10. "Household products that don't break within the first few years of use. My grandma had the same fridge from 1993 before deciding to switch to a newer, bigger one two years ago. My mom's wedding cookware is still going strong 25 years later, but whenever she needs new pans, they start flaking Teflon into the food within a few months."
—u/parangolecomuna

11. "Legroom on an airplane."
A row of seats on an airplane
Andrew Merry / Getty Images
—u/anachronistika

12. "Family vacations. I remember going on road trips regularly as a kid and even flying once or twice. Now that I have kids, I cannot afford a weeklong trip to the Badlands, Grand Canyon, Disney/Universal Studios, etc. The best I can do is a day trip to the Wisconsin Dells maybe once a year."
—u/M5606

13. "Free driver’s education classes taught in all high schools."
—u/Working-Finger3500

14. "Apartments. I could get a one-bedroom apartment in Wisconsin back in 1997 for under $500. Now that same apartment is at least $2,000."
An empty apartment except for a few boxes and a plant
Westend61 / Getty Images/Westend61
—u/Icy-Supermarket-6932

15. "Meals on domestic flights."
—u/Acceptable_Stop2361

16. "Affordable healthcare."
—u/RNGezzus

17. "People making friends with one another purely because they enjoy their companionship and not because of networking."
—u/butthenhor

18. "Drinking water from the tap without filters and softeners."
Unfiltered water coming from a faucet
D3sign / Getty Images
—u/Kuzkuladaemon

19. "Clothing and shoes that last more than a year with regular wear."
—u/SpacePirateFromEarth

20. "Being able to dance and have a good time without having the risk that it will end up being recorded and put on social media."
—u/allbright1111

Is there anything you would add to this list? If so, share it with me in the comments below!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 06:27:27 PM by theking »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Gen X here

So freaking true

Lots of them days are over.  Flying domestic flight if more than 3 hours, they serve you airplane food.  Delicious at times.  Usually them bigger airlines have them like delta and american.  They may be $50 pricier so you are paying $50 for that meal.  These days, you are getting peanuts.  My flight to vegas, you get nothing free but if you want, they are for purchase. 

Wow, did they take out free driver ed class?  10th grade at 16 years old for us. 

One thing I do missed the most though.  The dynamic of the family changes when your elders are slowly passing away.  No more of them family gatherings as them elders are our organizer when it comes to family functioning.  Only way to combat t his is to have kids of your own and you and your cousins or siblings can do annual hosting for family gatherings.  Give them youth a taste to remember by.  Keep the tradition alive.   O0

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +648
    • View Profile
Not luxury but smoking on flights was nasty then.

Advertisements