Advertisement

Author Topic: Hope CA does it as I've been to that exact spot & it is 6x the size of Yosemite  (Read 122 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1330
    • View Profile
This new wildlife sanctuary will be unlike any other part of the U.S. — and it’s 6 times the size of Yosemite National Park

A 156-mile stretch of coastline in central California is on the verge of being turned into a national marine sanctuary, co-managed by the Chumash people, other local tribal groups, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Guardian reported. It will be the first tribally-nominated, tribally-led sanctuary on the U.S. mainland if approved. It will also be physically huge — encompassing 156 miles of coastline and 7,670 square miles of ocean, the sanctuary would protect an area six times the size of Yosemite, all of which is under severe threat of the effects of climate change and pollution. The water off the California coastline is acidifying at double the rate of the rest of the ocean, and the area has already dealt with oil spills from pipelines and petrol tanks, urban stormwater and agricultural runoffs, and offshore oil drilling, which is still legal in California.

Here are some photos I took up and down that area. Big Sur is one of my favorite spots in the world so I promote it  O0:

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1330
    • View Profile
Some spots are so mesmerizing that some folks would jut pull over, set up their canvas and start painting...lik e Bob Ross:

Like this post: 0

Advertisements