Advertisement

Author Topic: Just saved a friend a couple of hundred dollars by rekeying his gas cap myself  (Read 217 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1334
    • View Profile
So he bought an aftermarket gas cap but want his ignition key to work on it. He called around and some Locksmiths were quoting him "$200" so I'm like, let me help you out.

Here are the two options...

Option 1: Just grind off the wafers that don't align with the key..

Pro: easier, saves time...Con: the remaining wafers will still lock the cap but won't be as strong because instead of 6, there may only be 2-3 wafers left to lock it.

Option 2: Pull the wafers out and re-align it so it'll fit the new key...

pros: most if not all the wafers will remain to lock the cap...Con: takes more time as the lock cylinder will have to be disassembled to get the wafers out to re-align.

I went with option 2 because it's better IMO:

Like this post: +1

Adverstisement

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +659
    • View Profile
Nice of you and good info for future references since many pickup trucks I’ve seen just have the simple no lock manual unlock from outside.

Offline DuMa

• Elite Poster
  • -(>^_^<)- 052806
  • Respect: +742
    • View Profile
Got to make a disclaimer that tampering with the gas cap can cause the check engine light to come on. 

https://www.sterlingmccalltoyota.com/what-are-the-indicators-of-a-bad-gas-cap/

X_____________ ______________ ______________ ___

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
The previous owner replaced the OEM gas cap with this aftermarket non-locking one for simplicity:

Like this post: 0

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
But my friend prefers a lockable gas cap for peace of mind reasons. He didn't want to pay high $$$ for an OEM one so he went with this aftermarket one:

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
    • View Profile
I think it's a good idea to have a locking gas cap. Not so much worry about FRUADs stealing gas but more so idiots pouring stuff into the gas tank just for fun...

Advertisements