Advertisement

Author Topic: First of all, motorcycles are more of a want than a need here so it's your fault  (Read 69 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1329
    • View Profile
..for not living within your means  ???:

'We’re 2 months from going bankrupt, but I pretend things are fine': This California couple owns 5 motorcycles, spends half their income on rent — here's the real hard truth they had to face

Courtney and Alex, 35 and 37, are a couple who say they’re struggling with the harsh reality of living in an ultra-expensive part of the country.

But that’s not their biggest money problem, according to personal finance adviser Ramit Sethi.

Even as the pair is on the brink of financial ruin, Courtney admits she consistently downplays the situation. “We’re two months from going bankrupt, but I pretend things are fine,” she confessed on a recent episode of Sethi’s “I Will Teach You To Be Rich” podcast.

Sethi’s deep dive into their financial lives paints a grim picture, but he sees hope for them on the horizon.

Expensive events popped up
A lot has changed for the couple in a short period of time, they say.

“Four years or so ago we were doing really well,” Alex claims. “We were in a place where the rent was cheap, we didn’t have a child, we were both working and making decent money. And saving money!”

In fact, their financial situation was so good that Alex claims they’d managed to pay everything off and were living debt free. “I had more money in the bank than I ever had,” he says.

So how’d they get so far off track? Well, first the couple got married. Alex says they spent $15,000 on the whole event, including the rings and bachelor/bachelorette parties.

Then they had a baby. With the family expanding, they decided to swap their apartment for a large house. This left them paying rent that “was about $800 or $900 more than we were paying at our original place,” Alex says — adding on that they’re now also making less money than they did before.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Advertisements