Advertisement

Author Topic: Battle of the Bay: Another thing to add to Mayor Sheng Thao's full plate  (Read 77 times)

Offline theking

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +1323
    • View Profile
Oakland officials vote to rename airport despite San Francisco threatening to sue

....change the name of Oakland International Airport to San Francisco Bay Oakland International Airport, infuriating San Francisco officials who promised to sue over the decision.

The name change will be finalized if approved in a second vote May 9.

Port of Oakland officials say the change is necessary to sustain the airport’s 30,000 direct jobs and $1.6-billion economic impact in the region. Under the proposed rebranding, the airport code, OAK, will not be changed.

The move has angered San Francisco leaders, who say it will confuse travelers. Before the vote, San Francisco City Atty. David Chiu wrote to the Port of Oakland, promising to sue if the change was approved. The city of San Francisco, he wrote, “has strong legal claims ... for trademark infringement that we intend to bring in court against the Port of Oakland.”

The San Francisco airport, which has been operating since 1927, has been known by its moniker for almost the entirety of its existence, Chiu noted.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

Offline Believe_N_Me

• Elite Poster
  • Respect: +458
    • View Profile
Why is the name change necessary?

The only excuse I give Sheng Thao is that the city was already a craphole when she got elected. But why is she making the crap worse? lol

A lot of voters are having buyers remorse and are seeking a recall. But I don't feel sorry for any of those residents. They played a strong hand in the demise of Oakland.

Offline Cali Guy

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +650
    • View Profile
Oakland has such bad rep, I don’t blame them. Kind of like Cal State Eastbay when it was associated with Hayward by name.

Advertisements