Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong History FAQ  (Read 65091 times)

The I.E.

Hmong History FAQ
« on: September 14, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »
Original Title: Where did HMONG(we) come from?
Topic titled was changed to Hmong History FAQ

Original Post: Did we come from China? Were we actually chinese to begin with?

The following was added by our PH Moderators:
To answer The I.E.'s first question, yes we have approximately 5,000 years of history in China. In fact just before going into Southeast Asia our grandparents, great grandparents, or so on were still in southern China during the 1800s. Where we were before then we don't know for sure yet, although there are some theories discussed here: http://www.pebhmong.com/forum/index.php?topic=52387.0

The answer to your second question is no, the Hmong have always been a separate ethnic group from the Chinese. It's possible the Hmong and Chinese share one common ancestry dating thousands of years ago but perhaps most Asians did at some point? or even all of mankind.

I added the links other members mentioned to help everyone who stumbles upon this post understand the Hmong history, please send me a private message if you would like me to add some interesting facts or links to this first post. Thank you.

Order is from first to most recently contributed on PebHmong Forum:
http://www.mojthem.com/
Some of these audio mp3s help explain Hmong History
Contributed by My Heart Speaks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hmong_people
Contributed by N`Chync

http://www.hmongnet.org/hmong-au/chmong.htm
This article by Yuepheng Xiong helps answer the initial question
Contributed by photine

http://www.hmongtimes.com/main.asp?SectionID=37&SubSectionID=183&ArticleID=908&TM=54682.69
New University of Minnesota Professor, Mai Na Lee, Teaches First Hmong History Class
Contributed by Reporter

http://www.lomation.com/hmong/reader/index.php
Hmong Text Reader - Neat tool for those who cannot yet read Hmoob.
Contributed by the CURE

http://www.pebhmong.com/forum/index.php?topic=52387.0
Dr. Gary Yia Lee on Origins of the Hmong
Contributed by Reporter

http://www.diversitytv.net/2007/hmong/
Brief History of the Hmong and Secret War in Laos - A must see for everyone.
Contributed by britishseapower

Quick Facts
Hmong were originally from China, our oral history spoke of us living in China already 5,000 years ago. Anywhere earlier than China is speculation.

Also must take note that the Hmong called Chinese kings "Huab Tais" whereas Hmong kings were "Fuab Tais" the former means to take away as the Chinese often took titles from others by conquering them, whereas Fuab means to rise where Hmong kings rose to become a king earning their place. But this definition became long lost and whoever helped started the RPA writing system understood Huab Tais as a word for all kings including Hmong.[/size]

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:24:36 PM by Swordplay »

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

My Heart Speaks

Re: Where did HMONG(we) come from?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 06:00:10 PM »
We came from HmongLand.  ;D

If you truly want to hmong where hmong came from you should listen to this station. They give a lot of information on hmong culture and history.

http://www.mojthem.com/

CA_girl

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 03:31:19 PM »
Did we come from China? Were we actually chinese to begin with?

No... we were never Chinese!!!  There is a long history of Hmong battles with the Chinese.  The Chinese have always tried to control and oppress Hmong throughout history.  There are legends that in the past the Chinese have taken many Hmong brides because Hmong were very beautiful people.  There are even speculation that Hmong people may have been from Europe, with blonde hair and blue eyes at one point in time (this would be before the Chinese tried to wipe out the Hmong by marrying the pretty Hmong girls).  I don't know if this is true, but I have seen pictures of old women from Europe, maybe the same whereabouts around Ukraine? and their facial features look Hmong.  They just have a lighter hair color. 

Unfortunately, Hmong origins have been lost in the mists of time.  Constant moving to escape persecution and oppression from the Chinese did not help us retain our origins or written language.  It is said that Hmong women tried to preserve our original writing by incorporating it into the traditional Hmong skirts, but the meaning of the symbols have been lost too. 

I recommend reading the book Tragic Mountains if you would like to know more about Hmong history.   I used to do a lot of research on Hmong history for fun when I was growing up.  I'd check out tons of books on Hmong history and read lots of articles.   

The I.E.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 04:01:17 PM »
Hmm...

I always thought that we were of Chinese decent.  Knowing all these kung fu and all too. Like flying in there air and magic. 

So what is the deal with hmong having Blonde hair?  I honestly thought it was whack how my two niece turn out that way?!  First, thought was maybe the wife was sleeping around but heard my old folks said that once a long time ago we hmongs were brutally savage and killed by the white man and the took the wives and girls and married them or make babies off them and  that is why we have blonde hmong girls/boys..  is it true?

hua

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:02:25 PM »

The I.E.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:14:20 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miao_people

Dang, can't yall just explain it.  I hate to read...lol.. ;D that's what ALPHA said in her thread! Nah..j/k...

N`Chync

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 09:24:38 AM »

lady-chang

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 04:10:21 PM »
Hmm...

I always thought that we were of Chinese decent.  Knowing all these kung fu and all too. Like flying in there air and magic. 

So what is the deal with hmong having Blonde hair?  I honestly thought it was whack how my two niece turn out that way?!  First, thought was maybe the wife was sleeping around but heard my old folks said that once a long time ago we hmongs were brutally savage and killed by the white man and the took the wives and girls and married them or make babies off them and  that is why we have blonde hmong girls/boys..  is it true?

it is highly doubtful  that hmong people ever had blonde hair and blue eyes though no one really knows for sure but on the posotive side...... i think very few understand the concept of being albino.......a nd no, you don't necessarily have to have practically white hair and red eyes......you just lack pigmentation which if you're asian, you may just have really light brown hair and eyes and super pale skin that burns easily........ .. i've seen quite a few of albino hmong people......an d if your neices literally have blue eyes and blonde hair, you definitely need to do some DNA testing....... you may even need to go back a few generations... ....

The I.E.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 06:20:43 PM »
it is highly doubtful  that hmong people ever had blonde hair and blue eyes though no one really knows for sure but on the posotive side...... i think very few understand the concept of being albino.......a nd no, you don't necessarily have to have practically white hair and red eyes......you just lack pigmentation which if you're asian, you may just have really light brown hair and eyes and super pale skin that burns easily........ .. i've seen quite a few of albino hmong people......an d if your neices literally have blue eyes and blonde hair, you definitely need to do some DNA testing....... you may even need to go back a few generations... ....

Interesting... I've seen some albino too.  Wierd...
But never seen blue eyes hmong b4.  Always white/brown hair and red hair. 

Prince

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 08:12:27 PM »
Did we come from China? Were we actually chinese to begin with?

I believe most of us came about as the result of an Human EGG and Human Sperm fertilization.
Anything else is purely speculation... unless there are concrete evidence.

The I.E.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 11:00:58 AM »
Under chinese history, the hmongs can be traced back to the early 17th century.  We were what they referred to as the mystical people known as Miao, highlanders, or mountanious people.  It was believed that we were branched off from the original group known as the San Miao (Three Non-chinese Ethnic Groups).  Under these three tribes, there were three influential leaders who oversaw the safety of its people.  The Chinese consistently went to war with the Hmongs and drove us out of Northern China to the Southern China.  Part of the great wall of Southern China was built to separate us from Central Chinese.  We were considered non-chinese, barbaric and were not well liked or accepted by the Han and Ming Chinese.  During those dynasties, our people were ordered to be killed and many of our people scattered to many parts of the countries after our leaders were defeated in wars. 

Nowadays, many centuries later, the hmongs still exist.  We are the decendants of the San Miao in China.  Hmong in China is actually one of the largest groups today. 

Wow...very well explanated  ???
But are all what you said are true?
Sounds true..but need docs...

CA_girl

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 11:06:45 AM »
Wow...very well explanated  ???
But are all what you said are true?
Sounds true..but need docs...

I've read somewhere about the Great Wall was built to keep Hmong people out too, but just can't remember from where.  It is true that we aren't Chinese and never were, otherwise the Chinese wouldn't try to persecute and eliminate us so much. 

Buridans Paradox

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 01:17:15 PM »
I've read somewhere about the Great Wall was built to keep Hmong people out too, but just can't remember from where.  It is true that we aren't Chinese and never were, otherwise the Chinese wouldn't try to persecute and eliminate us so much. 

The Spirit Catches You mentions a Hmong Wall, a smaller version of the Great Wall.

Buridans Paradox

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2007, 01:12:13 PM »
photine,

i admire your passion.

hua

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2007, 05:58:20 PM »
Off topic, but if you've seen "Chinese Paladin" ...  Ling'er and Qing'er are miao. You can see some similarities to hmong clothing if you watch closely.  ;D For example, the guy that like's Ah Nu can be seen wearing what looks like hmong clothing and one of those metal neck thingies.

Advertisements