Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong History FAQ  (Read 65036 times)

Swordplay

Re: Where did HMONG(we) come from?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 09:05:03 PM »
I would really like to do some ground research on Hmong customs... how uniquely interesting to intrinsically understand all the many traditions we partake in...

....all history is difficult.. especially when it doesn't come from a first person viewpoint..
Have you started with interviewing the elders? Most of our customs and history is said to be riddled within the wedding and funeral rites.

Like this post: 0

Adverstisement

PYK

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 09:14:34 PM »
Have you started with interviewing the elders? Most of our customs and history is said to be riddled within the wedding and funeral rites.

Actually I have... I have quite a few of untranslated interviews about both... any thoughts?

Swordplay

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 09:32:48 PM »
Actually I have... I have quite a few of untranslated interviews about both... any thoughts?
Audio/Video?

A local elder of mine has been recording what he knows on a digital audio recorder, will share them later. They're in the process of being editted at the moment. Stories range from creation of our solar system, Ying and Yang (Spirit/Physical Realms), first two human beings, the Great Flood, and Hmong history in China.

PYK

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2007, 09:37:34 PM »
Audio/Video?

A local elder of mine has been recording what he knows on a digital audio recorder, will share them later. They're in the process of being editted at the moment. Stories range from creation of our solar system, Ying and Yang (Spirit/Physical Realms), first two human beings, the Great Flood, and Hmong history in China.

....I wasn't smart enough to do video... :(

...was it the old Yawm SAub story? that's the one I've gotten from quite a few people..

Swordplay

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2007, 09:45:11 PM »
....I wasn't smart enough to do video... :(

...was it the old Yawm SAub story? that's the one I've gotten from quite a few people..
It goes beyond Yawm Saub. According to what I've listened to so far, Yawm Saub and Puj Saub were only acting on behalf of Niam tias Txiv Fuabtais Ntuj. Many say huabtais but it's actually fuabtais according to this elder, because huab is to take away whereas fuab is to rise, we associated Chinese kings as huabtais and Hmong kings as fuabtais but the meaning was mixed up and most started using huabtais instead. In the recording it started with the birth of our planet earth, where our ancestors believed it is a child of its mother, our sun. Who knows they can be right, the scientist theories change often and maybe one day will sound something like this.

PYK

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2007, 09:46:15 PM »
It goes beyond Yawm Saub. According to what I've listened to so far, Yawm Saub and Puj Saub were only acting on behalf of Niam tias Txiv Fuabtais Ntuj. Many say huabtais but it's actually fuabtais according to this elder, because huab is to take away whereas fuab is to rise, we associated Chinese kings as huabtais and Hmong kings as fuabtais but the meaning was mixed up and most started using huabtais instead. In the recording it started with the birth of our planet earth, where our ancestors believed it is a child of its mother, our sun. Who knows they can be right, the scientist theories change often and maybe one day will sound something like this.

ah.. the beauty of history and research....

Swordplay

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2007, 09:51:14 PM »
ah.. the beauty of history and research....
Yeah I find history fascinating in general. Can really expand our mind and help us understand how the world as a whole came to be as it is.

PYK

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2007, 09:52:46 PM »
Yeah I find history fascinating in general. Can really expand our mind and help us understand how the world as a whole came to be as it is.

I also find the perils of present issues just as exhilirating.

Swordplay

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2007, 09:55:23 PM »
I also find the perils of present issues just as exhilirating.
Somewhere in the past lies answers that can solve problems we have today.  ;)

PYK

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 10:00:20 PM »
Somewhere in the past lies answers that can solve problems we have today.  ;)

or how about some simple common sense...

pInkhighLights

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2007, 02:47:38 PM »
Haha!  Funny question ;D, yet you do not know.   :(

Hmong are Hmong and we are definitely not of Chinese decent.  If we were, Koreans would be of Chinese decent as well.  You'll find more information if you trace it all the way back to the Tower of Babel BC days.

moo_cow

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2007, 01:40:14 PM »
we are not chinese we were an individual race to begin with the chinese did not like us because our women were more beautiful than theirs so they took all our women and married them. the chinese did not like us because they found us stubborn and did not do what they wanted that is why we fled china to laos. we were origianlly from china but we were never chinese...

LeLaaay

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miao_people

Thanks! I'm always looking to learn about my origins since my parents never really explained it in details.

Mizan

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2007, 12:51:58 AM »
we are not chinese we were an individual race to begin with the chinese did not like us because our women were more beautiful than theirs so they took all our women and married them. the chinese did not like us because they found us stubborn and did not do what they wanted that is why we fled china to laos. we were origianlly from china but we were never chinese...

In terms of genetics, you are wrong.

Swordplay

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2007, 01:16:48 AM »
:love10:...you seems really knowledgeable any way i can get that video from that elder of yours??? i'm willing to purchase 8)
It's not finished yet, I'm pretty sure we're giving it away for free. I'll let you know when they're ready, I'll be providing links here. =)

Advertisements