Advertisement

Author Topic: Hmong Ghost Stories  (Read 1581173 times)

Republic

Re: Hmong ghost stories
« Reply #3525 on: July 05, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »
Hmong Demons and an American Friend

I have an American friend who was a part of a Christian group that sent aid and supplies to the Hmong refugee camps during the 80s and early 90s.  He volunteered to go over personally and help provide relief to Hmong refugees.  They gave people food and medicines.  Then when possible, they shared the Word of God. 

In the camps, he said he saw Hmong people practicing shamanism everywhere.  As a result, he saw strange things and heard about even stranger things.  The scariest thing he saw however ocurred out of the blue.

One day, he had been helping with food prep or something.  He wanted to deliver food to an old lady who had been sick.  She didn't have any real family in the camp so he felt bad for her.  He went to her hut and opened the door.  The old lady was laying on the bed.  But there was someone else with her.  His back was turned and he was kind of hunched over.  He said "Hello."  Then that person turned his head.  My friend said what he saw was demonic.  The demon had a hideous face and a long tongue.  It smiled at my friend.  My friend was scared.  But he gathered his wits.  He closed his eyes and prayed for God to remove that thing.  When he opened his eyes, the demon was gone.  Sometime later, that old woman died.

Like this post: +2

Adverstisement

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: July 05, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »
Republic,
I so aware of these two places. I'm not gonna repeat my story but if you get to my stories you'll run into my events on that park. As for Mt. Airy that place has a lot of stuff that can't be explain.

The last house before My OG's bought a house was by far the strangest stuff. Like when I started to go to church and would stay up late read'n the good book of the Lord, I would have nightmares and the Devil himself would come pick fights with me and tell'n me how well my faith is to god and he would ask me to go to the basement and test my faith. but being a chicken I never went down there to challenge him.

Like this post: 0

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: July 05, 2012, 04:10:50 PM »
Republic,
All your stories are well edited and prep, That's what I expect from a collage grad. Please go on with more of your spooky stories.
It seems to me that you were once a naughty dude who got lost in the mix of life then found GOD and turn your life around. Am I right?

SuperFly

« Reply #3528 on: July 05, 2012, 05:46:43 PM »
Just a commentary on grammar and syntax:

I just have to say - DAYEEM!  I'm on page 140-something and I have to say some of you people are absolutely unreadable!  I don't mean to be the grammar Nazi but come on people! 

IF you were not born in this country, I am not talking to you.  English is truly your second language and you do the best that you can.

BUT if you were born in this country OR IF you grew up in this country...REAL LY?  Throw in a comma or a period every once in awhile.  It makes a big difference.  Also, paragraphs are good too.  By no means am I asking for perfection.  This is an informal message forum not an English class.  But if people are here, they want to read your story.  At least make it easier for people to understand what you're trying to say.  I wasn't born in this country AND I'm retarded.  If I can put a proper sentence together so can you.

One final note then I'm done:  Ebonics make stories funny and NOT scary.  If something is "little," then please for the love of God type "little" or "small" or "tiny" or "miniscule" or whatever.  Do NOT call it "lilo."  I read a story that might have been pretty spooky but-for the half dozen or so uses of the adjective "lilo!"  This made me chuckle so much that the story completely lost it's ability to scare me.

I am sure you've offended some, but then again... we're Hmong and many of the people reading and writing are doing it from their phones or iPads (not me though).  Just saying....

SuperFly

« Reply #3529 on: July 05, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
My brothers said that Mt. Airy homes were built on grounds that used to be a graveyard for fallen Native Americans.  My cousin that lived there used to tell us that when him and his siblings were young and able to see things, they used to go out and play tag at night.  They would see huge shadowy figures that looked as though they were riding horses.  Or they'd see the "Headless Horseman."  And late at night, they'd hear faint voices of Native Americans singing and chanting.

Does anyone know about the tallest hill in Mt. Airy?  That area was where a young Hmong boy shot and killed himself because he stole from the Hmong store on Jackson Street (store right next to Mt. Airy).  The owners caught him stealing and they were going to call the cops and he had begged them not to because he didn't fear anything except for his dad (who at the time was an abusive father).  As they were dialing for the cops, the boy ran out the door and with his dad's gun in his hand, he went to the top of the hill (it's all fenced up now) and shot himself.  To this day, late at night kids can hear someone crying from that particular area.  It has always been known as a cold spot as well.

SuperFly

« Reply #3530 on: July 05, 2012, 07:15:09 PM »
My aunt who co-owned a funeral home used to have the spirits following her home at night.  Her and my uncle are tough.  They never talk about those things that go "bump" in the night.  They don't believe in it either.  They say once it's dead, it's really dead.  There's nothing more to it.  I'm sure they've experienced enough frightening things, but they don't share it with anyone.  But my aunt has mentioned a thing or two to my mom. 

My aunt said that when she goes home after running the funeral home, she goes paranoid because she would hear voices.  Voices that constantly ask her about why they're dead or where's their family, etc.  The voices would carry on even when she's trying to sleep in her bed at home.  She tries to ignore them as much as possible, but they just keep talking to her.  There were many that tried to possess her as well. 

She has converted herself to Christianity now.  She reads the bible daily and her prayers have successfully kept the spirits away from her.  The voices she hears have faded away.  My uncle is too stubborn to convert, though.  And half of the family refuses to convert.  So for some people, they find hope in God.  And that was what she was missing for a very long time.  My mom said that my aunt has gone Church-crazy because she is so deeply devoted that she spends every day in Church whether it be Hmong or Meka churches. 

So there is some good in our traditional religion and some good in other religions.

Republic

« Reply #3531 on: July 05, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »
Republic,
All your stories are well edited and prep, That's what I expect from a collage grad. Please go on with more of your spooky stories.
It seems to me that you were once a naughty dude who got lost in the mix of life then found GOD and turn your life around. Am I right?

I was never a thug or a gangster if that's what you mean.  I did have my share of fun though, mostly revolving around girls and what guys do to have fun.  I always had tremendous respect for my parents and mostly just concentrated on school, so in that respect I was never naughty.  However, finding Christ has been a wonderful blessing in my life.

Republic

« Reply #3532 on: July 05, 2012, 07:42:34 PM »
Before I lived in St. Paul, I was dating a girl there.  During one visit, we wanted to be alone so we went to Mound's Park.  We found a secluded spot close to sunset just to be alone.  Then out of nowhere, we both heard drums.  It wasn't like the Hmong funeral drums.  It sounded exactly like the Native American Indian drums out of the movies.  It was really faint, but we both heard it.  It went on for a long time, then it was kind of funny.  An Indian family (Indian from the country India) walked by on one of the trails and the drumming stopped.  We both got a little spooked so we got up and walked out behind them.

Republic

« Reply #3533 on: July 05, 2012, 08:18:31 PM »
Poj Ntxoog

Ever since I was a kid I wondered about the Hmong Poj Ntxoog.  As Hmong kids, we all heard the spooky stories from the adults.  Some probably even used threats of the Poj Ntxoog to scare us as kids into not wandering away during a fishing or camping trip.  As a young man, I wondered if maybe this creature was just some kind of new, yet undiscovered monkey.  The typical description of the Poj Ntxoog is that it is small with long white hair, sometimes long black hair.  It looks human and has fierce teeth and sometimes claws.  To me, that sounds like an animal.  But now as an adult, I cannot discount that this creature reeks more of the demonic than the natural. 

One time while chatting with my mom, we started talking about the supernatural.  She usually does not open up about it because I think my mom is able to see things from time to time and it scares her.  On this occasion, my mom told us that when she was a young girl, her cousin was taken by a Poj Ntxoog.  She said an uncle was going out to gather firewood.  He didn't want to enter the jungle alone, so he took his little niece with him.  She was only about 5 or 6 at the time.  They didn't go far into the jungle, but they were off of the main trail.  He began cutting wood as the little girl played nearby.  After some time, he realized she wasn't humming to herself anymore.  He looked around and panicked.  He looked up and in the tree was a white creature with long flowing white hair jumping away on the branches.  At that moment, he heard faint voices.  He ran towards the trail and saw a small group of Hmong people walking along the trail.  He begged them for help.  They spread out and looked for the little girl but found nothing.  He ran back to my mom's village and the adults went out to search.  Nothing.  They had someone saib and that shaman said the little girl was taken by that white Poj Ntxoog. 

Another time, I was travelling with my dad and two other men to Washington DC.  My dad and those two men had been soldiers during the war and they were all going to DC to take part in one of the gatherings they used to stage to garner support for the Lao Veteren's Naturalization Act.  It was great to be able to go and just listen to them recount war stories.  We drove all through the night to arrive in DC the following morning.  Late in the night, the war stories waned and the subject turned to ghost stories.  They all had scary stories to share but this is the one that I remember about a Poj Ntxoog.

I asked the men if they thought there was anything to the Poj Ntxoog stories.  They all said yes.  Then I said asked them if any of them had ever seen a Poj Ntxoog.  Cha got really serious and he said he had (his name is not really Cha but for this story that's what we'll call him).  Cha said that when he was a boy, he was playing hide and seek with his cousins.  None of them were older than 10 or 11, so they played near a house which was right by the entry to the jungle.  The kids were laughing and running around just doing what kids do.  Then an old man that lived in the house came out and told them to keep it down.  Cha said there was a kawm (one of those big woven baskets worn like a backpack to carry firewood and other stuff in) leaning against the side of the house with a piece of cloth covering the top.  The old man laughed and told the kids to keep it down as he leaned over to pick up the kawm.  Suddenly, as he removed the cloth, a little white monkey-like thing jumped out.  It had long white hair and red eyes.  It bit the old man's hand then it screamed as it jumped away into the jungle.  The kids stood in shock for a minute then they all ran away including Cha.  Cha said he went and told his dad.  Cha's dad and several other men came running to the old man's house.  The found him.  He was ok, but he had a bloody bite mark on his hand.  Cha said the old man got really sick and nearly died but they did some kind of shaman blessings on him to save him.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: July 05, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »
My brothers said that Mt. Airy homes were built on grounds that used to be a graveyard for fallen Native Americans.  My cousin that lived there used to tell us that when him and his siblings were young and able to see things, they used to go out and play tag at night.  They would see huge shadowy figures that looked as though they were riding horses.  Or they'd see the "Headless Horseman."  And late at night, they'd hear faint voices of Native Americans singing and chanting.

Does anyone know about the tallest hill in Mt. Airy?  That area was where a young Hmong boy shot and killed himself because he stole from the Hmong store on Jackson Street (store right next to Mt. Airy).  The owners caught him stealing and they were going to call the cops and he had begged them not to because he didn't fear anything except for his dad (who at the time was an abusive father).  As they were dialing for the cops, the boy ran out the door and with his dad's gun in his hand, he went to the top of the hill (it's all fenced up now) and shot himself.  To this day, late at night kids can hear someone crying from that particular area.  It has always been known as a cold spot as well.
which hill is tat? On arch street or tat one street on the otherside of the mt. Airy?i haven't drive'n there since 10+ yrs ago. And when you mention fence up,  is tat by that hi way on penn and rice street?
 Or by franklin elem. Now you got me wonder'n.

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: July 05, 2012, 11:34:32 PM »
If ur talk'n about a fence up, i remember tat there was a hmng kid tat got ran over on tat street. Therfore it go fence up to keep kids outta there. Cuz b 4 there was never a fence, cuz i go catch lizards there. Fast littler bugger too. Rite by the wall. And i use to go up the side of the hill and pick rasberry , there was a tree and. I would sit under and pick anf eat it all day.

yajmafia

« Reply #3536 on: July 06, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »
If ur talk'n about a fence up, i remember tat there was a hmng kid tat got ran over on tat street. Therfore it go fence up to keep kids outta there. Cuz b 4 there was never a fence, cuz i go catch lizards there. Fast littler bugger too. Rite by the wall. And i use to go up the side of the hill and pick rasberry , there was a tree and. I would sit under and pick anf eat it all day.

I have no idea what you just posted.

Like this post: +1

Offline saki saki

• Jr. Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: July 06, 2012, 06:54:14 PM »
I have no idea what you just posted.
lol my bad. ;D if you go down tat hi way toward 35w east N west. Just before you drive past the side of Mt. Airy to the rite there's a small retain'n wall. If you don't look for it you could of pass it before you even know it. A bit better? ;D

realism

« Reply #3538 on: July 07, 2012, 12:54:41 AM »

Republic

« Reply #3539 on: July 07, 2012, 02:06:52 AM »
That looks like it to me.

Advertisements